Crime rate in Taiwan vs. some western countries

Yes you are right i didnt saw a lot of slum areas here or we call it squatters area Or even in the extreme conditions Of the poor here and i wonder if what benefits a govt give to this people or did the govt give them a free housing ? even a free food pack or anything ? Coz in the u.s.i saw on tv.they give them food stamp i dont know if taiwan have also this one and i didnt know if u.s.govt hand them money coz why in america a lot of homeless but they still can buy drugs like using injections so how this people get money i wonder And yes i read in the news that living standing here are very high and in singapore i have been there i didnt saw slums but the govt build them a flat as i see very nice even hdb i mean public house the people have a shelter even its a flat or condominium but here in taiwan i saw anywhere a old buildings or the houses here some looks old some is not but they have a property lot unlike in singapore mostly are living in the flat a public housing but if you have a house with a lot it means you are rich coz houses there are nice even you see houside small but when u enter very modern and i dont know here in taiwan if houses is like that but im sire its more cheaper than singapore

Stream of consciousness.

2 Likes

Yes base only the ranking gdp power purchased parity in taiwan are more higher than canada and IMF rank taiwan high than canada but salary and wages are lower in taiwan so sometimes very confusing the ranking

You don’t read Chinese?

I’m not criticizing you, it’s just an observation.

Because the kind of news you are describing is reported multiple times in Taiwan every single day.

And it’s reported a lot, because it happens a lot, so what you are saying kind of doesn’t make much sense.

1 Like

Based on purchasing power parity, Taiwan is doing better than Japan or Korea. So while wages might be low, cost of living is also low (with exceptions like real estate) so you get more bang for your buck.

1 Like

Traffic offences are not crimes, they are traffic violations. In most developed nations they are not part of their crime stats anyways.

1 Like

Because Taiwan is a tiny island, drugs are hard to import making the cost high. So most people can’t afford to be drug addicts. It’s a luxury in Taiwan to do drugs.

I think a lot of crime happens in the west because of drugs directly or indirectly.

Would it be wrong to assume more homogenous societies are more peaceful? Don’t know if that’s true but seems intuitive diversity leads to conflict.

1 Like

Sweden’s a classic example of this. Well over half its crimes are committed by a small proportion of recent immigrants.

1 Like

The differences of Power Distance, Individualism, what motivates people, uncertainty avoidance, long term orientation, etc.

Or we can be lazy and blame ethnicities.

Many African countries are almost exclusively monocultural yet have some of the highest rates of murder and violence.

1 Like

is this true?

Which African countries are monocultural? The borders of most African countries were drawn by colonial powers and are completely arbitrary. They split tribal and ethnic groups across borders. Nigeria alone has over 500 languages. I can’t think of one African country that is as homogenous as Taiwan, Japan, or Korea.

6 Likes

Somalia, South Sudan, Libya, Sudan.

many? :thinking:

Added:
It seems Sudans aren’t, at least

They the ones I can think of. The list is not complete.

Very true. I tried filing a report once for stolen wallet and I was sent to an immigration building without any police report being filed. I tried again another time after firecrackers of neighbors broke the glass of our home and they refused to act. Again another time in which 2 guys came with threats demanding money and had them recorded and they refused to act, another time after my car was vandalized and they refused to act and another time going with a friend who had been attacked by several people and it took hours to convince the police to file a report.
Police just don´t file reports, then stats say that crime is low.

2 Likes

You’ve had some bad luck. I’ve yet to experience crime, aside from driving offences.

2 Likes

I don’t want to nitpick but the purchasing power adjustment is a calibration for domestic prices, not foreign prices.

Strong NT wouldn’t increase Taiwan’s PPP-adjusted GDP.

What it would do is help you save more money if you want to move back to Canada

in fact strong NTD hurts Taiwan because Taiwan depends on exports.