Crime rate in Taiwan vs. some western countries

Petty crime and economic crimes are a plenty, as well as family violence. It us violent crime, like armed robbery and break-ins which are rare here. Murder is more related to passion.

For those of you painting utopia, well, back in the 80s there were rampant bike - probably scooter- gangs armed with machetes cutting off people’s limbs for money or fun. Cops and cameras put a stop to that, which is why there is such public support of something we Westerns view as intrusive.

While there is corruption and inequality, there is not in your face rampant backlash because of the effects of the white terror and generally living in a dictatorship. That is why the older generation is easy prey of scammers who pass themselves as authorities and demand their money transferred to them or they will go to jail.

Rich people usually are not that show off with their riches and the ones you see in Lamborghini are mostly rented/faking it.

Moreover, in general, things work here. Having the NHI is a great social support. There are civil institutions assisting the disadvantaged population. If there was more mental health awareness it would be better.

2 Likes

One we had an attempted shakedown by moving men. After our call the police were there within one minute, and settled it satisfactorily IMO.

But I’ve heard plenty of instances of overall uselessness.

It’s very Swedish of you to call it “our” report as if it represents some kind of collectivist view of the facts on the grounds in Sweden representing the views of all Swedes. The report you are liking to was put out by the now highly politicized Swedish foreign ministry under the previous foreign minister, Margot Wallström (a highly controversial figure given her stance on jews, recognizing Palestine, etc.) as a result of the massive amounts of bad press Sweden has gotten in recent years in foreign media due to the negative impact of the recent wave of refugees in Sweden.

As has been pointed out you there are no good statistics since 2005 in the relation between immigration and crime in Sweden given that the agency responsible for crime statistics in Sweden has become highly politicized. This was proven in a study from one of the leading universities in Sweden (Linköping University) that showed that there is top-down political pressure to adjust the crime statistics to be more favorable to those in power. https://liu.se/nyhet/skarp-kritik-bra-forskning (only in Swedish)

By now you have to be quite unintelligent, naive, or be living under a rock to not see the link between the recent wave of refugees and increased crime in Sweden.

My take on the general topic here would be that differences in crime level between a country like Taiwan and western states would be mainly driven by differences in the homogeneity of society with western societies are seeing increasing cultural and economic segregation that results in higher crime rates. Taiwan lacks the type of segregation that you unfortunately now see in a country like Sweden due to very poor political policies over the past 20-30 years.

3 Likes

Until recently your NHI benefit stopped if you couldn’t afford to pay the premium. A lot of people couldn’t because NHI premiums charged you whether or not you were employed. So people who were unemployed and therefore can’t afford NHI premiums (it isn’t much, but when everything is tight it’s a real burden) died because they couldn’t afford to see a doctor. So recently they didn’t deny coverage just because you didn’t pay the premium but they’ll also be more proactive in collecting payment as well. It helps me because I couldn’t afford NHI for 4 months already but still need to see a doctor every now and then…

but I do notice that people here are more polite anyways. In the states if you bumped into someone, especially a black or hispanic, they get very hostile.

Blockquote[quote=“Ninashka, post:59, topic:197556”]
What do you mean? This is not the first time in history that Sweden has had refugees. Or do you mean that these particular refugees are more prone to committing crimes than others in the past? So singling out specific countries (and race since the article counts children born in Sweden as immigrants as well)?
[/quote]

Of course this is not the first time that Sweden has received refugees but the volume of refugees in a short time span (especially 2015 and onward) and constitution (war-torn countries in the middle east, culturally very dissimilar from Sweden) does make a very big difference in the ability to integrate newcomers and leads to significant segregation in society.

Official statistics in Sweden have always considered the children of immigrants to also be immigrants. I am one of them also. Given the amount of immigration in Sweden in recent years you will also struggle to integrate the second generation if they are not able to assimilate into Swedish society due to the widespread segregation between Swedes and immigrants.

1 Like

I still had as much good purchasing power in Korea as I do here in Taiwan. Japan is where your purchasing power gets reduced to a point that you earn starvation salary.

Not sure why you insist focusing on Sweden. Let’s look at it in a broader sense. Your argument has been proven false multiple times including in the article @Ninashka has posted. If you really believe your argument, then it should be visible in other countries.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-06/what-s-the-real-link-between-crime-and-immigration

1 Like

Better to be honest and say it will change the cultural makeup of your country than say they’ll cause more crime.

It’s a stretch to call it research though and that’s what I have a problem with. It looks like a draft or a writing assignment for an Academic Writing class.

I haven’t said that everything is perfect or that there are no problems. I’m saying that immigration has been ongoing for a long time and a lot of research has been done on immigration and crime (not only in Sweden but worldwide), you’re cherry picking the one article that supports your view.

Why wouldn’t past research be valid?

1 Like

I’ve reread my posts and can’t see a strong argument that I put forward. I can see a lot of facts that I have provided.

Not sure why you insist on focusing on me. I made one post where I pointed out that the majority of crimes currently committed in Sweden are by immigrants and you and @Ninashka have taken upon yourselves to focus on me using a government report from 2005 using data from 1997-2001 in her case and an article from bloomberg about crime and immigration in the USA in your case.

Because it might no longer be valid? What would be a solution to that, assuming it might be the case?

I don’t like when people wrongly blame immigration for crime. Nothing personal

Nothing personal between myself and Sweden, either.

But why wouldn’t it be valid? BRÅ statistics say that crime rate has been declining since the 90’s when they stated started measuring it. What’s different about past immigration (and crime rate) and new immigration that makes past research that states “we cannot see a direct link between someone’s origin and crimes” no longer valid? We have a (or several?) criminologist who says that you have to look at at least 20-30 years to draw conclusions. Are their expertise somehow invalid as well?

Except you don’t want to visit us, ever. :sob:

(That’s meant as a harmless joke by the way.)

That’s 40 years. After early 2000s most violent crimes increase rapidly.

I have been before, but I have no memory of it. 2 years old.

EDIT: You are actually reading my posts through to the end. That’s incredible!

That’s not what I’ve discovered. He’s known as the Swedish Jordan Peterson. He’s a sociologist who’s critical about multicultural societies.

You’ve brought forward an argument suggesting that immigration raises the crime rate and have provided a questionable source.

You’ve made an argument that is quite offensive to many. You can’t throw out arguments like that then play the victim.
I’m well aware of the crime statistics related to immigrants. There is not significant correlation. That’s why I’m confused why you’re pushing this narrative

1 Like

I’ve provided the numbers.

The general feeling I got last time I was in the US was that people were angry. They were fighting against each other, like in a defending their territory or having to show aggression to maintain respect in every area of their lives. Upscaled malls to metro, workplace or family interaction, it all seemed tainted by violence. It is logical that minorities, who feel wronged, fight among themselves and others, as they perceive the world against them and must establish pecking order.