Crimes in Taiwan 2021

He killed two with the knife.

Is there anywhere to visually see crime data? When I was living in Austin TX the city had real-time and historical crime data on an interactive map. There was also this cool app called Citizen that showed crime reports in real-time and people could add photos and stuff if they were in the area.

Doing a little googling, there were 332 murders in Taiwan in 2020. I can’t find much on Taipei specifically, but wikipedia says 68 murders in 2017 – about one every 5 days. That’s doesn’t really match up with the “Taiwan is super super safe” idea. Austin had about 25 murders/year when I was there, for a city of ~1M people. Taipei is 3x larger but murder rate is almost 3x as high. Of course Austin also was one of the safest big cities in the country (was – things are worse now).

I figure it’s mostly murders with motive, and I know Taiwan is very safe, but would be interested in seeing some granular/visual crime info. Since I only read news from sites like taiwannews.com, I don’t get the whole picture of what’s going on around here.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, that sounds scary as fuck.

haha, nah it’s cool. there’s a surprising number of people using it, so there’s always someone on scene to post pics or give info on what’s going on.
basically if you hear sirens you can go online and immediately know what’s happening

Currently the news are abuzz with a special KTV/jiudian woman allegedly involved in the death of her patron/boyfriend…whose corpse was found in a body of water in Changhua.

There is also a guy that was shot and killed after shooting a police officer.

17 guys caught after a huge fight with police officers, including a car chase second to only Fast and Furious, car crashed, smashing, the works.

They have similar FB groups here for citizen crime reporting. That’s where the news get their stories.

I’d like to know more about this story. What time did the car crash? And whereabouts? I heard a really loud smash last night, followed by sirens a few minutes later.

1 Like