Criminal charges and deportation

I’m based in Taiwan on an ARC / JFRV with household registration.
In case I’m breaking the law and get a prison sentence for a a year or so (lets say commuted to a fine) would the still deport me?

Your wording here is confusing. Did you break the law already, or are you speculating what might happen if you break the law in the future? I would hope you’re not planning something illegal. If it’s something you already did, then it depends on the crime. If you’re talking a YEAR in prison, then it definitely sounds serious enough. Revocation of your visa status is a likely possibility… they probably wouldn’t frogmarch you to an airport, but you’d become de facto illegal through the cancellation of your ARC.

If you are on a JFRV ARC, then you’re a foreigner and you absolutely do not have household registration. You’re simply a footnote on someone else’s, most likely your Taiwanese spouse’s or spouse’s mother and father’s.

9 Likes

First of all, if you have been sentenced to more than 6 months, you cannot have your sentence commuted to a fine. Furthermore, it’s actually up to the prosecutor to decide to let you commute it to a fine, not the judge and certainly not you. At the time of self surrender you show up with the fine amount and if the prosecutor signs off on it, you pay the fine and you’re free to go.

But for a one year sentence this is not possible unless your sentence have been suspended (which is possible for any sentence of up to 2 years, but this is also up to the judge).

In practice you will almost always get to pay the fine and be free to go, but if say you’re a habitual offender and they feel you’ve never learned your lesson, they can just take you in right then and there. Usually this happens if you have sentenced 3 or more times in a 5 year period.

It looks like article 33 paragraph 3 (as well as article 32 paragraph 3) says that if you have been convicted of a crime and sentenced to more than a year, your ARC/APRC will be canceled.

1 Like

This is a very CYA question. It basically seems u already know u r going to do something illegal. Not good.

2 Likes

If she does, she’s an idiot and deserves whatever happens to her. Everyone makes mistakes, but coming here and asking for legal advice about something you plan to do in the future that you know is wrong/illegal is just fucked. Hopefully her wording is just confusing…

2 Likes

Don’t deal or use drugs, not even marijuana.

Problem solved.

4 Likes

my bad wording. I had a fight in a supermarket and the person I knocked down pressed charges. Now I’m waiting every day if the prosecutor wants to see me… but I’m also wondering what happens after this.

2 Likes

If you’re worried for good reasons, settle.out of court and dont go to jail or get deported :slight_smile:

Well how bad is the injury if any?

Are you willing to settle with the person and get him to drop the charges, such as paying for damages?

Assault is not serious and if the person drops the charge so will the prosecutor.

That is what you should be doing.

I would be surprised if any guy presses charges against a woman knocking him down. That would be a loss of face.

1 Like

I didn’t get the impression that the other person was a male.

I’m surprised I didn’t see this in the evening news. From your description of the incident, this is definitely Taiwan newsworthy.

4 Likes

Contact the person privately and offer to settle. Or if supermarket CCTV backs you up, threaten to counter sue if the person also assaulted you. But if it’s clear you’re the primary antagonist, offer a generous settlement. That sucks, but it’s better than legal jeopardy.

As a general rule, fights in public aren’t worth it… legal issues, physical injuries, possible shaming on social media. Just be the bigger person and walk away even if the other person is a complete asshole.

Anyway, good luck! :boxing_glove:

3 Likes

Is it on camera and who raised “their hands” first ? What damage was sustained ?
Was it a fight or an assault they are very different. ?

Probably not. Others have been penalized the same and allowed to remain.

How do we know the gender of either party? A username on a forum could be used by anyone.

For violence they might not be deported but good luck getting back in if you leave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: probably a few years ban and a lot depends on the prosecuter.Thats why I asked them was it a fight or assault. She/He didn’t answer.

Do you remember that American who fought with the police after a DUI stop evasion and 10km chase who the police office shot in the leg? He was allowed to stay.

2 Likes

Actually I don’t, but remember a Russian getting shot in the leg and the bullet passe through his leg and into another officer !
Did that American have dual ID? Strictly by the law a sentence of over two years is immediate deportation after sentence served. I think over one year is optional deportation depending on the prosecutor.