Cruise Ship Quarantines - Coronavirus 2020

Diamond Princess update.

The evacuation of Americans is currently in process.

1 Like

Passengers who elect to remain on the Diamond Princess have just received the following notification regarding how Japan will handle the end of quarantine.

1 Like

I feel bad for them, but at the same time I completely agree with the extra quarantines.

I actually don’t feel bad for them. It’s really no big dealio, in my honest opinion. 14 days quarantined on a ship with 1st class cabin service and now back to the US to a military base for 14 more days. No biggie. I could do that standing on my head. They need to nut up and shut up!

So, Japanese government thinks passengers have not been newly infected since Feb. 5, unless they have been sharing rooms with someone who were already infected before Feb. 5 and onset of the disease by Feb. 19, right?

Diamond Princess Update.

The Americans who chose to evacuate back to the US have departed via coaches.

long drive to america by coach though

The Princess Diamond Cruise ship docked in Keelung on January 31st and some passengers disembarked to tour around for the day, right? Remember, Rebecca Frasure who purchased the candied strawberries from a vendor in the Keelung market area and later came up positive for the Coronavirus? She’s still quarantined in a hospital in Japan.

I had text messaged the vendor based on the mobile phone number which appeared on her vending cart sign to alert her to the possible danger and to encourage her to watch her health carefully. Although she received my text, she still hasn’t responded. Now, I know why. Some members of the Taiwan media watching US news reports or even perhaps here on Forumosa saw her phone number too and have been calling her and showing up in the market area to try to interview her. She is really upset!

The picture that Rebecca Frasure shared with CNN showing her standing in front of her vending cart has really fucked her business as no one wants to have contact with her or purchase her products. This situation has really affected her business in a very negative way. She complained that she’s being unfairly singled out as there are many other candied strawberry vendors in the area and it wasn’t her or her cart in the picture.

Anyway…anyone else see the TV news report on this? I was too slow to record it and I only managed to get a couple screen grabs to share.

2 Likes

The US evacuation flight out of Japan for Diamond Princess passengers.

Video shot by an American passenger.

A remaining American passenger on the Diamond Princess shares today’s sunset view from his balcony. Thanks Kent.

Canadians are going to be evacuated as well.

Another video showing the evacuation of the Americans from Japan

Lovely ‘accommodations’ - on a bloody Cargo Plane no less. Not exactly high backed seats, the neck and back would be in big trouble after an hour or so.

And they wanted 1000 bucks each too
Not sure if they dropped that

Latest update on a Diamond Princess.

1 Like

Man you are obsessed with the Diamond Princess. Something about getting trapped on a floating carbuncle got you excited Malcolm ? :grin:

5 Likes

Nah. I’ve made direct contact with some of these Americans on the ship and have been providing them support while they’ve been going through this situation. Some are barely hanging on emotionally. A friendly supportive voice can be helpful.

And to be perfectly candid, my original goal was to get in touch with them and grill them to find out where they went whilst in Taiwan, so if they came up positive for the virus later, I could have direct first hand information where they have been and where they could possibly have spread it. Keelung candied strawberry vendor in the market is one and another two visited the 101. Good info to have.

I didn’t give a shit about the Westerdam because they were refused port here in Taiwan. However, now I understand that they had previously arrived in K-town and toured around. So, now the tedious process of researching the Westerdam and when and where they went begins.

Also, if no one wants me to post anymore info on the Diamond Princess situation, I will refrain. Just let me know. No hard feelings. I just thought sharing as much verified information on this virus would be helpful as well as interesting since it does affect us here in Taiwan.

Also, there are so many more passengers from other countries who are still stranded who need support. The Hong Kong citizens do not want their passengers back and are protesting and fighting the police over the issue of repatriation and quarantine. Not a good feeling for the HK passengers. They were born and raised in Hong Kong, but now reside in Hong Kong, CHINA! Sad.

This situation shows just how powerful of a tool Forumosa has been and continues to be with everyone sharing what information they have in one convenient location. If we didn’t have this thread, we would only get information from Taiwan TV and a lot of stuff would be missed. Especially since I suspect a fair number of our fellow Forumosans do not have a good grasp of Mandarin. What a drag it would be to have no Chinese language skills and the only news sources are in Chinese, except for that one CNN (Asia) channel.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I truly appreciate it. When Forumosa went offline last week for a brief time, I thought I was going to lose my mind! Lol

15 Likes

I’m also fascinated by the cruise info, partly because of my tourism background and because of my parents’ current world cruise!
I have been thinking we should move all the cruise info to a separate thread, though… how do we do that?

ETA: Other thread suggestions include conspiracy theories, possible sources of the contagion, current status in Taiwan (ie, number of cases)

5 Likes

I thought it was maybe hackers in China!

3 Likes

Excellent idea! Chop it up into more manageable threads! Where do I stand in line to vote? I’ve got my worthless surgical mask and I’m a fastidious hand washer! Oops, Goes in the “surgical masks are stupid” thread! :crazy_face:

Oh I’m not criticizing I’m just curious. I am more drawn to the human interest component in China and especially Taiwan and how it affects us here . I don’t really feel a connection with those cruise ship passengers. I am far more concerned about how the fucj I am supposed to do my job when I can’t fly anywhere. :neutral_face: I don’t have time to be worried about tourists.:grinning:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s going to happen, I can’t imagine going back to dig them out. Maybe @MalcolmReynolds can start a new thread with his next update and continue them there

2 Likes