Cult Classics

What a great movie. I like the history of the violin building up to the auction at the end.

Harold and Maude is definately a must-see.

Other keepers of mine:
Sleepaway Camp is fun for its horrible acting, bizarre gayness and “shocking” ending.

The Wicker Man has always been a fave.

I showed Desparate Living to a group of friends and most of them left right after the film, some vowing never to let me show them another movie again, but David Mamet’s House of Games is something everyone can enjoy and is one friends repeatedly tell me how much they enjoyed seeing.

“If”

imdb.com/title/tt0063850/

and

“Amazon Women On The Moon”

imdb.com/title/tt0092546/

Dead Ringers

Psychological thriller with Jeremy Irons playing identical twins; scariest movie I’ever seen. All the more remarkable since it was made without any blood or gore.

Shakes The Clown

Comedy with Bobcat and Julie Brown. Robin Williams puts in a hysterical uncredited cameo as a clown school teacher.

Harrier wrote:

Bingo.

[quote]I always thought cult classics referred to small budget, slightly obscure films with bad acting that we still enjoy watching a lot. Seems like some people are just listing their their favorite films, which is fine but not really what I took to be the meaning of cult classics.
[/quote]

That sounds like the definition of a B-movie, not a cult classic.

My understanding of the term is (or my lame attempt at a definition)…

A movie that is outside of the mainstream (kind of the definition of a “cult” in the first place) that enjoys a dedicated group of fans (followers).

A low-budget or bad acting is not a prerequisite for a cult movie, though it can’t hurt.

while I’m here… yea Dead Ringers is a GREAT movie. Jeremy Irons rocks.

I am suprised by how many people have mentioned their fondness for the early 80s flick, “The Beastmaster.” It was one of my favourites when I was a young lad. It hasn’t aged well, but I think it is a cult classic. Plus you get to see Tanya Roberts breasts, although I am sure now she is very old woman…maybe still a MILF.

Chewy

delete

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I am suprised by how many people have mentioned their fondness for the early 80s flick, “The Beastmaster.” It was one of my favourites when I was a young lad. It hasn’t aged well, but I think it is a cult classic. Plus you get to see Tanya Roberts breasts, although I am sure now she is very old woman…maybe still a MILF.

Chewy[/quote]

she played one of the moms in “that 70s show” but i think she left.

hasn’t changed all that much.

12 Angry Men is a very well-known classic from the 1950s. Hardly ‘cult’. But definitely ‘classic’.

Has anyone seen “Bitter Moon”, directed by Roman Polanski, one of the best dramas I’ve ever seen.

The Incredible Shrinking Woman with Lily Tomlin

Meatballs

Amazon Women on the Moon

100 MOVIES THAT DESERVE MORE LOVE

I agree - Equilibrium was definitely a “missed it if you blinked” one that got under the radar. Definitely better than the last two Matrix movies.

And Gremlins 2 is one of the funniest movies ever made, darn it! What’s wrong with people?!

Great site! “Living in oblivion” is a hoot.

Anything by John Waters, especially his early rubbish:
Pink Flamingos
Desperate Living
Female Trouble
Polyester

Oh, Mr. egg man! :laughing:

This is a fabulously acted picture by David Mamet ,based on a true story (a seminal legal case) that dominated the newspapers for weeks in Britain just before WWI. The Winslow Boy was killed in that war.

The Winslow Boy

Jeremy Northam is a very fine actor.

Two words for you Alien: Mink Stole.

I can still see her and David Lochary with pubic hair in colors more likely seen in a Crayola box than in nature.

From the 100 movies that deserve more love, I was surprised to see a few that I really liked and thought got lots of love. Especially Contact and The Hudsucker Proxy.

At any rate, from the list, here are the ones that I agree deserve more love (I haven’t seen all of the movies and some I don’t think are all that outstanding)…

Jackie Brown (absolutely loved this movie…more than Pulp Fiction and certainly more than 4 Rooms)
Gattaca
Iron Giant
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
James and the Giant Peach
Kiss of the Dragon (the last fight scene where has the title line is awesome)
Hollywood Shuffle (right now I can hear the jingle “Black Acting School”)
A Perfect World
A Knight’s Tale
And the Band Played On
The Hudsucker Proxy (pure genius with the clocks)

and one of my favorite movies of all time, Contact. I liked it enough to go and read the book and decided that while both of them were good (and rather different from each other), I liked the movie the best.

Magnolia is one that gets forgotten a lot. Requiem for a Dream is along the same lines and is also often neglected.

Imaniou,
How about Edith Massey?
God… :unamused:

Agreed on Hollywood Shuffle and Jackie Brown.

More cult classics:
The Princess Bride
Tampopo
La Dolce Vita
Kevin and Perry Go Large (Kathy Burke!)

“A Boy And His Dog”…hilarious!

badmovies.org/movies/boyanddog/

Peter Watkins’ “Punishment Park”…a nightmare for lefties…also hilarious. :laughing:

thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week … 7-2003.htm

And Watkins’ brilliant “War Game”…not so funny.

scifind.co.uk/review-wargame.html

You’ll have to forgive me. I am a Mink Stole fan. I loved her as Taffy and as the tortured Dottie Hinkle (victim of the best double entendre line ever uttered in a movie: “Excuse me, are those pussywillows?”).
Poor Edith…I remember seeing her breath when she spoke in a few scenes. My male friend actually closed his eyes during the scene where the goon prepares a “serum” for the girls in the dungeon. What a wuss. And who could forget the singing asshole at the birthday party…I feel the urge to watch it again.

Anyone up for a John Waters marathon?