Cult Classics

Cronos
…and the smaller you are, the more bizarre this is.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]You’ll have to forgive me. I am a Mink Stole fan. I loved her as Taffy and as the tortured Dottie Hinkle (victim of the best double entendre line ever uttered in a movie: “Excuse me, are those pussywillows?”).
Poor Edith…I remember seeing her breath when she spoke in a few scenes. My male friend actually closed his eyes during the scene where the goon prepares a “serum” for the girls in the dungeon. What a wuss. And who could forget the singing asshole at the birthday party…I feel the urge to watch it again.

Anyone up for a John Waters marathon?[/quote]

YESSSSS! Find me Serial Mom! I also love the Johnny Depp Water’s vehicle, Crybaby. And Hairspray.
I can’t really handle Female Trouble and Pink Flamingoes at the moment. Oh, but I DO have the screenplays for Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living if you want to do a reading!
Also have a few Ab Fab scripts, a Twighlight Zone episode, and an original Star Trek episode.

Blueface, Boy and his Dog with Don Johnson? Tht’s a brilliant cult classic!!!
One of my faves from that era. Another one that seems to go with that one somehow, is Repo Man. Oh, and such a similar genre to Boy/Dog, is Mad Max.
Now known as Mad Mel.

PleaSsssantville

Mask Of Satan (by Mario Bava)
Planet of The Vampyres (Mario Bava)
The French Connection
Dog Day Afternoon (with the BEST Al Pacino ever!!)
Taxi Driver
Mean Streets
Les Frisson Des Vampires (jean Rollin)
and, generally speaking, all the Rollin’s movies

Best in Show…funny, funny, funny.

The Neverending Story

I don’t think people outside would agree with it, but most people within the hardcore fanbase of the Matrix movies (including myself, obviously…lol) are agreeing that the trilogy will probably become cult because of the backlash against the sequels. M1 on it’s own will always be a sci-fi classic, but as a trilogy the Matrix will be remembered dearly only by the hardcore fans who weren’t turned off by M2 or M3. :cry:

EDIT:
Other ones I’d have to say are:

• Spaceballs
  • Resident Evil
  • Mortal Kombat
  • ANY Godzilla movies from Japan
  • Actually, any monster movies from Japan, period (Rodan, Mothra, etc.)
  • Pleasantville
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • The Breakfast Club

the New Guy with DJ Qualls. All around bad movie, silly plot, and even employs some stereotypical teen movie facets (such as the Dushku factor…but I’d kill to look like her)
All I gotta say is…

“Who’s da bitch now?” (apply necessary rolling your head on your shoulders while saying)

Cinema Paradiso
The Princess Bride
My Life as a Dog. Or whatever it was called.
The Dark Crystal.
My Neighbour Totoro.

I like the Wim Wenders films about the angels, although I can’t remember what they were called. Darn it, must be getting old.

And, what’s that film where some woman’s lover gets stuffed with paper and then eaten?! Don’t think I actually liked that film, but, whatever, I’m tired.

Can’t believe someone mentioned the Neverending Story. That movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. The black thing with the teeth. Gmork? I forget. Gave me nightmares.

Plate of shrimp. Donnie Darko-most amusing dialogue about The Smurfs.
Sleep with Me-I plagariazed/paraphrased Quentin Tarantino’s monologue about Top Gun for several film sudies essays.

Repoman…seeing this censored to pieces back in New Zealand was funny. Damned melon farmer.

Trainspotting- I can watch this over and over again.

Wings of Desire

It’s an absoultely fantastic movie. That used to be my stock answer when asked “What’s your favourite movie?”. Not so easy to answer now.

Brian

I didn

Lindsay Anderson’s [i]If.[/i] Brilliant film.

open2.net/castandcrew/if.htm
bfi.org.uk/collections/relea … conif.html
film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea … 15,00.html
malcolmmcdowell.org/

Yeah, it’s a great one. His ‘O Lucky Man’ also left a huge impression on me when I saw it on TV once when I was young. Definitely cult viewing.

Those articles are interesting. I never really knew anything about Lindsay Anderson, so didn’t know he was gay, but watching ‘If’ and the way the camera LOVED those boys, I couldn’t help wondering.

Brian

Modern Cult = ‘City of God’

Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness

[quote=“ftattini”]-Plan 9 from outer space
-The beyond (Lucio Fulci)
-Caliber 9 (Fernando di leo)
-The French Connection
-Vampyros Lesbos
-Django
-The Great Silence
-The Good, The bad, The Ugly
-The Blues Brothers
-All the Mexican movies from '60s with masked fighters (Argos)[/quote]

Great list. I love Fernando Di Leo’s gritty crime films from the seventies, and although crappy, I love his cheesier flicks like MISTER SCARFACE, too.

DJANGO and THE GRAND SILENCE are terrific Sergio Corbucci flicks. COMPANEROS ranks up there too.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (the original, not the horrible remake)
DAY OF THE DEAD
Any film by Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, Sergio Solima, Luci Fulci and Dario Argento
Johnny Depp’s THE BRAVE (barely released, sadly!)
THE CRAZIES
KNIGHTRIDERS
REPO MAN
SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY
APOCALYPSE NOW
DRUNKEN MASTER
MEATBALLS
ROCK’N’ROLL HIGH SCHOOL

Just a few… :bravo:

[quote=“AWOL”]I once saw this bizarre film - “Six String Samurai” - about a guitar slinging samurai guy (very the Crow in vibe, cool lead guy etc). Was set in a post apocolyptic world where this samurai fellow roamed around picking fights with skinheads, indians etc. was truly odd but absolutely engaging…

…kind of like that Oz classic “Smoke 'Em if You Got 'Em”… set in post nuke Sydney at an inner city party. Nick Cave was playing as the house band, the Saints as well. As the radiation sets in people start dropping like flies… losing arms, legs, heads… so these are my 2 cult classics.[/quote]

I rented that one when it was a new release. Either that or I bought it for a hundred NT. Anyway it was so bloody irritating that I took it back to Blockbusters and demanded a refund on the basis of the fact that it was the stupidest piece of shit I had ever seen. They don’t usually give refunds on that basis but in my case they made an exception.

I just finished watching this.
Hyper mexican midget? Check.
Unshaven 70’s bush? Check.
Nipple clamps? Check.
Brain drilling? Check.
Naked cannibal lesbians? Check.
Bad puns, worse acting? Check.
A local theatre director puts on real S&M-death shows, while the audience thinks it’s fake.
Blood Sucking Freaks.
NOT for the squeamish.

Eating Raoul,
Hairspray
Repo Man
Spinal Tap
Blue Velvet

And what’s the name ofthat one by the Russian director set in New York where a tiny flying saucer hides in the water tank above the lesbian punks apartment to drain a narcotic-like substance out of anybody who has an orgasm with the tall one?