Curry Night VI

A few months back we had [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/curry-night-v/52445/1 Night V[/url], and the next one is long overdue, so here it is:

When
Saturday 5th December, 7pm

Where
Saffron
Unit 6, 38 Tianmu East Road, Tianmu
台北市天母東路38之6號

The nearest MRT station is either Shipai or Zhishan, and it’s (I’m guessing from the map here) a twenty-plus minute walk or a quick cab ride from either station. Edit: The R12 or 645 bus has a stop outside Shipai (Donghua Street) and likely another near the restaurant.

Unlike last time this establishment is not BYO: they do sell beer and wine there for those who wish to partake. I’ve not been to the place before, but reports are almost uniformly good, so I’m looking forward to it.

If you want to come along you can either post here or send me a PM. Newbies welcome! I’ll update this list as people sign up. Attendees so far:

• Taffy
• cranky laowai?
• sillyBunnie
• Mr Bryska

Saffron is good. Arguably the best Indian in Taipei.

It will be more expensive than your other curry nights but it is worth it. The grilled items are worth mention and the menu is quite extensive.

Good choice Taffy.

I request a Monday or Tuesday … :fume: :ohreally:

Damn, I’m leaving on the 5th.

[quote=“elektronisk”]Saffron is good. Arguably the best Indian in Taipei.[/quote]So you’re coming along?

[quote=“bp”]I request a Monday or Tuesday[/quote]Yeah, sorry about that - Saturday is the best day for most people, but not all.

[quote=“mm”]Damn, I’m leaving on the 5th.[/quote]What time? Wolf down a Lamb Madras before you go? :laughing:

Shipai or Zhishan would be better than Mingde.

I’m pretty sure that the R12 bus from Shipai goes close to there. Some other buses should, too.

I hope to attend but can’t confirm yet.

Shipai or Zhishan would be better than Mingde.

I’m pretty sure that the R12 bus from Shipai goes close to there. Some other buses should, too.

I hope to attend but can’t confirm yet.[/quote]Thanks cranky, I’ve amended the original post with that info. Hope to see you there.

Er, my flight is at 9am.

think i will wanna “travel out of town” to see if the curry is really good :sunglasses:

Yes, also the 645. You can get either on Donghua street right across from Shipai station.

gah! I can’t make it this time, mostly because I’ve been cast out of polite society.

Let me know when you plan the next one, to give me time to learn some airs and graces.

Put me down as a maybe. I may have an early gig to photograph that night, so will confirm later.

[quote=“Funk500”]gah! I can’t make it this time, mostly because I’ve been cast out of polite society.

Let me know when you plan the next one, to give me time to learn some airs and graces.[/quote]It’s OK, Funk, cutlery is optional. If Stray Dog comes too we can sit you down the end where you won’t disturb the rest of us.

[quote=“cfi”]Put me down as a maybe.[/quote]Done.

[quote=“TG”]…also the 645.[/quote]Thanks, edited my post. You coming along?

Damn…I remember everybody’s best mate Roach telling me about this place, and he loved it. Of course, he should know about spicy curry and all that. He’s Scottish.

Bump

I won’t be able to make it. Got to shoot an event at the America Club that night.

Yes, you could get off by the temple right after zhongshan n rd, or right after it turns on zhongcheng in front of the mitsukoshi department store.

Thanks, can’t make it though. maybe the next one! saffron was pretty damn good i thought. i liked the baigan bharta a lot. passed by “calcutta” in ximending the other day, hope to give that a try, looks more downscale.

Final bump - still not too late to sign up!

Saffron was impressive - nice surroundings, excellent presentation, tasty food made from quality ingredients, and unobtrusive, efficient service. Only three of us made it there for dinner, but it was still most enjoyable. It’s gone straight in at the number one spot on my list, but I’ve yet to try all of them - Spice Shop (next door to Saffron) is next for me.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]passed by “calcutta” in Ximending the other day, hope to give that a try[/quote]Is that the one on Kunming Street? Another place I need to sample.

You try the eggplant?

It’s pretty good.

That’s the one. Across from the eslite and up a bit. next to the alley with all the sichuan restaurants. the gate was half open when i passed by, menu was out. low-budget decor, prices looked reasonable