Dating a woman with a kid

Excuse you. I am a spoiled brat who’s had a relatively smooth go of life and I am still an absolute joy to know and love.

3 Likes

Of course there are always exceptions.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Alternatively, I myself have experienced hardships and trauma the likes of which the Old Testament dudes wish they could have wrote about…

And, not only did it not make me a better person, I’m probably worse now than ever.

Go figure.

2 Likes

I dated two single mothers in the past. First one had trust issues that eventually made the relationship toxic. Second was the sweetest girl I ever met, leading a pretty healthy life in any aspect (had friends, a job, hobbies). Both had gone through really serious shit in life.

So my take is, dating a single mom feels a lot like dating any other girl.

Edit: woops Rocket that wasn’t meant as a direct reply to you, just in general.

2 Likes

Forget it, it happens.

1 Like

Yeah sorry bud wrong button.

who cares what others think if you are in a good relationship?
personally i would be suspicious of a woman who doesn’t spend much time with her kids. but again, who cares.

Let’s assume she was completely innocent in the divorce and the husband was true evil.
She still married while in school, got pregnant and got divorced. There’s a bunch of horrible life decisions right there. She married too early, got pregnant early and failed to see the guy for who he is.
Nothing wrong with making mistakes when you are young but only if you learn from them. Does she accept responsibility for her mistake or puts it all on the guy? How did that experience change her approach to new relations?
Her past is a big negative. Not necessarily a deal breaker but it probably will be. If you are just thinking about dating her, then forget about it. If you have already started dating then, think twice at every step.

You sound like the guy in the other “dating single mom” thread, who called her kid “it”.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. In all honesty, I probably would not date a single father because I would think his poor life choices reflect badly on him as an individual. No matter how successful he is otherwise, I would doubt his emotional intelligence, which is very important to me in a partner.

But I am also just a stubborn asshole in this regard. Some people are much more forgiving and understanding toward their partners than I am about this, and they go on to have successful relationships with single parents. Isn’t that nice? Couldn’t be me, but I sure think that’s nice. And not at all doomed to failure in every single case.

1 Like

Not to generalise, but it seems a pretty safe bet that most single parents have enough real shit to worry about without getting involved with some goon who can’t decide if they want to be there.

It may be difficult to grasp, but on most single parents’ Big List of Life Shit, romance is usually pretty far down in priority, if it’s there at all.

7 Likes

I always thought that single moms kinda have it made, if they’re not like really struggling to get by. They got a kiddo, but don’t also have to put up with some man. Not a bad deal, really.

1 Like

“If they’re not like really struggling to get by” is a big if, man. The workload is generally pretty rough. Also double duty in terms of parenting can be pretty fuckin exhausting.

3 Likes

Yes, parenting is still best done with two people for sure. I just see one of my friend’s moms, a lesbian who lives in a log cabin in the countryside who just decided to get a sperm donor and have a kid by herself when none of her relationships worked out, and I think damn, that’s pretty cool.

Yeah, well, Forrest, I seen a picture once of a dude who voluntarily got his johnson split in two like the hot dogs in the recipe on the back of the Velveeta box… but I don’t think it happens too often :roll_eyes:

Single parents who actually planned on it are a tiny tiny minority.

2 Likes

i think i talked to someone here who did that. they purposely got the sperm donor in usa so it would be a mixed race kid. pretty messed up imo. just adopt if you want to do that sort of thing…

1 Like

Yeah I do think adoption is better. The sperm donor thing is a bit of a vanity.

Also, I don’t like that word “donor”
It makes it sound so…clinical