Dating and Contraception

To contracept or not to contracept…

• I always use a condom. Even with my long term SO.
  • I sometimes use a condom. Especially when I’ve had a few too many beers.
  • I seldom use a condom. Even on a ONS.
  • I never use condoms or any other form of contraceptive.
  • I use an alternative contraceptive to condoms.
  • What are contraceptives?

0 voters

I’m starting this thread in the D&R forum 'cos I think it’s related. Sometimes us guys aren’t always clued into all the innovations of female contraception and sometimes we’re just plain ignorant.

I’ve been told on occassion that (and this seems to be a thing I’ve found unique in Taiwan) the girl isn’t on the pill but uses a morning after pill. What exactly is this mysterious morning after pill? Does it exist? If so how does it work and what are the pro’s and con’s associated with it?

Also, does anyone know why TW folks are so keen on not using contraceptives, especially condoms? I’ve had TW friends mention this to me before, and frankly I find it worrisome.

Stupid. :loco:

Ignorant.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abortion_Pill_RU-486

Pros: after the two of you screwed up and created an unwanted pregnancy at least you don’t have to raise the unwanted child, pay for it, or enter into an unwanted marriage.

Cons: Aside from the moral issues the cost and the hassles, here’s a few according to wikipedia

[quote]Side effects
Usual: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, and fatigue may occur.

Rare: Bleeding and cramping are expected during this treatment. Usually, the symptoms mean the drugs are working. However, sometimes a woman can have cramps and bleeding and still be pregnant. Bleeding and spotting may last up to 30 days, and may be greater than a normal, heavy period. In a very few cases, this bleeding will need to be stopped by performing a surgical procedure.

Serious: fever, fainting, vaginal discomfort or itching, unusual vaginal discharge, fast heartbeat, stomach/abdominal pain or tenderness, any other sign of infection. A patient noticing other effects not listed above should contact their doctor or pharmacist.[/quote]

Nothing mysterious about the morning after pill - been available for years. Of course it’s not 100% effective and gives you no protection against HIV/other STD nasties, but then neither does the regular pill. In England it’s labelled as “Emergency Contraception” to prevent people from seeing it as a routine method - it’s a massive dose of hormones and so is not designed for regular use but rather in an emergency (split condom etc). It’s available without prescription in many countries including Taiwan and (apparently) South Africa.

My opinion - if a girl I’d just met said she was intending to use it the day after, I’d look for a condom and not put anything anywhere until I’d found it. So many people of both genders here are not savvy about sexual health.

Stupid. :loco:

[/quote]

Cheers for the info Mother Theresa. And I agree with you on the stupid part. I just find it perplexing how many folks tell me (especially friends) that they or their bf’s never use condoms. I mean, AIDS isn’t the only worry. There are such a wide range of “uglies” you can get out there that it just seems so irresponsible if not suicidal…

I honestly didn’t know about it as I always use condoms. Frankly I thought it was a load of bollocks to get some poor bugger to knock the girl up and marry her.

Further to MT’s post - “The Abortion Pill” is a little misleading. Mifepristone (the abortion pill) can be used at higher doses in the first two months to abort a foetus. But the emergency contraception available here and in the UK is levonorgestrel, which has lesser side-effects and will not affect a foetus - it’s used to stop an egg embedding in the womb. Therefore many people (including the FDA in the US) feel that it is not an abortion pill, because at the time of taking the pill, there is no pregnancy to abort - just the possibility of one. The two pills (mifepristone and levonorgestrel) are very different beasts.

Yes, apart from the diseases that is another disturbing possibility.

I have a gay uncle who made sure I was WAY TOO educated about HIV. I have never, not even once, in my life had sex without a condom.
My uncle had a friend who had been with his partner for a long time and wound up HIV positive. He trusted his partner a bit more than he should have.
I would have never believed you if you told me my ex would cheat on me. After 10 years together he did. And the skank he cheated with… ICKY!!! Trust is trust. It gets broken. Health is health. I think priorities might be different for different people. But I care most about my health.

In the US you can get the morning after pill at any pharmacy that has a certified pharmacist on hand. There was a move recently by the FDA to make it over the counter and get rid of the pharmacist although that hasn’t happend yet. And as others have pointed out it is no protection against STDs. It also messes up the hormonal balance of the girl, think instant PMS.

I had a gf who raved about the ring
fwhc.org/birth-control/vaginal-ring.htm

As for people who skip out on condoms clearly they never had to see severe cases of STDs. I was a bio major in college and in our human sexuality class we spent a whole semester just looking at worst case scenarios. I will never skip out on the condom, the two people who I have had unprotected sex both were long term SOs, one was a virgin and the other got her test at the same time as I did. As our school (Rutgers) was infamous for the high rate of HPV (80%) this was something we were both keen on. I wonder what the rate of HPV infection for Taiwan is.
According to
cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

Reason enough for me to always wear a wetsuit when I go diving.

Another loud-and-clear advertisement for zoophilia.

That’s really, really, really sad. :frowning:

Really.

You’re right, of course, that even with one’s most trusted partner one can’t be completely sure and the potential consequences can be terrible. But how sad to have never had the joy of sex without a condom – which is infinitely more sensitive, pleasurable, and intimate than with a layer of latex between you. It’s a completely different experience. For many years, I routinely enjoyed condomless-sex, with other contraceptives and often with only the withdrawal “method” ( :pray: ), and I guess I got lucky (no STD/no pregnancy) far more times than the odds would have predicted (though I did eventually end up with one beautiful baby girl).

My brain tells me you’re right, SAF, but my heart (and other organs) is saddened to think of life without condomless-sex. But I guess that’s the mature, responsible, reasonable approach. :s

To be honest, I think SAF’s got the right approach, until you’re sure that s/he is the one. Then, I’d say, both of you get tested (no shame in that) and provided you get the all-clear, enjoy it how it was meant to be. MT’s right about the difference, SAF’s right not to take chances. :idunno:

What about scrapie? Foot and mouth disease? Really, you should think before recklessly offering advice that could endanger the health of your fellow Forumosans.

What about scrapie? Foot and mouth disease? Really, you should think before recklessly offering advice that could endanger the health of your fellow Forumosans.[/quote]

You’re right of course. Always wear wellies.

If I had a million dollars for each time a guy here has told me that some girl didn’t LOOK like she had AIDS, or that she is from a wealthy family, or that she is educated, and therefore couldn’t possibly have AIDS, I would be Donald Trump.
What makes people think that they can “see” if someone has an STD or not?
Pass me the condoms, please.

That is just the kind of thinking that makes it spread so fast. People think healthy looking people must be safe. I’d be willing to be it is actually the opposite. Cuz unhealthy looking people probably don’t get as much play.
But that’s just a guess.

Actually, the better they look, the more likely they are to have had wild, passionate monkey sex with random strangers, thus making them more dangerous to also enjoy wild, passionate monkey sex with.

And chances are, if they’re having wild passionate monkey sex with you, they’ve probably had wild passionate monkey sex with several others too…

And chances are, if they’re having wild passionate monkey sex with you, they’ve probably had wild passionate monkey sex with several others too…[/quote]
Which brings us to “if they are willing to go without a condom with you”…

You’re right, SuchAFob. And so are you, Mother Theresa.

With ONS, definitely with a condom. With long term partners, start out raw, and put on the condom midway through. Certain times in the monthly cycle are A-OK for completely raw, which I prefer.

As for the Emergency Contraceptive Pill, they are easy to obtain in Canada and I hope they never change the law. There are many young kids getting them from health clinics, but there was a time when they wanted to only provide them at pharmacies with a prescription. It’s scary enough being a stupid teenager going to a clinic, but having to get your family doctor to write you a prescription, it’s intimidating.

You’re right, SuchAFob. And so are you, Mother Theresa.

With ONS, definitely with a condom. With long term partners, start out raw, and put on the condom midway through. Certain times in the monthly cycle are A-OK for completely raw, which I prefer.

As for the Emergency Contraceptive Pill, they are easy to obtain in Canada and I hope they never change the law. There are many young kids getting them from health clinics, but there was a time when they wanted to only provide them at pharmacies with a prescription. It’s scary enough being a stupid teenager going to a clinic, but having to get your family doctor to write you a prescription, it’s intimidating.[/quote]

I will never look at you guys in the same way again.

You people just don’t understand Taiwanese culture. Only foreigners have HIV or AIDS. (not!) That’s why we only test the foreign teachers for syphilis, instead of the chemistry prof who makes several annual trips to Thailand sans family. :noway:

You don’t understand Taiwanese culture. We all know Taiwanese Chemistry Profs only go to Thailand for research, not to shag Thai boy girls like decadent foreigners…