Death at Longtan Motorcycle race

This may be the first fatality during a race at LongTan. One rider hit the wall and fell back onto the track. Another rider just behind him ran over him and fell over. The rider that hit him has many broken bones but is otherwise alright. But the one that got hit died from internal bleeding at the hospital. The rider that hit him may face manslaughter charges.

youtube.com/watch?v=65Y2euZC … re=g-all-u

My first thought was “WTF!! Press charges for manslaughter?!?”, but then I remembered that this is Taiwan. Of course they are going to press charges. That guy on the other scooter, that hit the guy on the ground, was driving too fast.

The newsclip said the one that died was a novice rider and it was on the first lap that this happened. And the race was red flagged.

I dont think they will press charges as after all going fast is what a race is all about. This was not on public roads.

I doubt any charges will be filed. Riders must sign all sorts of wavers. Basically what happens out there happens and thats it.

When I said “Of course they are going to press charges. That guy on the other scooter, that hit the guy on the ground, was driving too fast.”, that was me being sarcastic.
To me, I was just pointing out “Taiwanese Logic”. From having read the many posts on this board, I’m sure many people understand what I mean.

However in all honesty, I feel bad for the rider who hit that guy on the ground. It’ll probably haunt him for the rest of his life. I feel even worse for the family for the guy on the ground, as I’m sure they’ve always worried that this could have happened and it did.

He’ll end up in court on manslaughter charges - it’s almost a given. You can bet your bottom dollar, and it could be that the family seek compensation as is the norm here for almost any accident in Taiwan, no matter who caused it.
It’s a bad situation for all those involved. However, there is a risk going out onto the track and the riders know this risk before they participate in any race. It’s just a shame that occasionally the risks become a reality.

[quote=“johnledoe”]When I said “Of course they are going to press charges. That guy on the other scooter, that hit the guy on the ground, was driving too fast.”, that was me being sarcastic.
To me, I was just pointing out “Taiwanese Logic”. From having read the many posts on this board, I’m sure many people understand what I mean.

However in all honesty, I feel bad for the rider who hit that guy on the ground. It’ll probably haunt him for the rest of his life. I feel even worse for the family for the guy on the ground, as I’m sure they’ve always worried that this could have happened and it did.[/quote]

yeah i knew what you meant. The guy was right behind him, probably simply could not avoid him

and hes plenty sorry im sure, besides the fact that he broke a lot of bones too in the impact.

I guess the family of the deceased will threaten to press charges in the hope that some sort of financial accomodation will be forthcoming.

This was such a terrible accident. I feel so bad for everyone that was involved. This is the 3rd death in 20 years at that track. I am apart of the racing community here and this really hits all of us hard. I will still always take my chances out at the Longtan race track over riding on the street any day, but this is a wake up call for all the riders out there novice or pro!! Please be careful!!!

I also doubt that the family will press charges and if they do I doubt they will see any money. The track is really well covered and you basically sign your life away when you ride out there…but yes this is Taiwan!!!

Legislators are already calling for a total track racing ban. Some very high-powered ones. Money is being talked. That track that recently opened down south is in the firing line. Somebody with a very great deal of guanxi wants a tourist resort in its place. Taiwan has neither the infrasturucture, the skills or the means to operate tracks for a bunch of amateurs is what is being pointed out. No arguments to the contrary, so far. Unsurprisingly.

Hmmm interesting. You know the Longtan race track doesnt even have a license for that track. The track doesn’t even own the land. They rent it and through some loophole have gotten away with operating that track for so many years. The track actually used to be way bigger, but they cut some parts out to “grow crops.” So they say that the land is used for farming as well. I don’t know how they get away with it! This is Taiwan. This isn’t the first time that track has been under fire, but honestly I doubt anything will happen. It has always managed to stay afloat! The track owners have made some changes in safety recently, but they are not enough. That track needs a complete overall. At least repave the fucking thing and maybe there will be less crashes. I can’t tell you how many times I have crashed on that track just from the track surface.

Yes its all a matter of which gangsters you know? And which gangsters want to know you.

The very same fate can befall pro riders on a pro circuit as well . As shown in this clip.

youtube.com/watch?feature=en … HFfjcGT8vs

motorcycle racing has got to be one of the more dangerous forms of racing there is.

It boggles me mind that San Fran tommy starts a thread about an event, tragic indeed, in my neck of the tea groves.
Here I thought he only trolled the surf for flotsam about Taipei.

I hope this will be a lesson to all the rollers that cause no end of consternation as they weave and roar through Gaoyuan on their way to that shoddy track. Speed junkies need a place to let loose, but lots of them have no regard for the cardinal rule of safety first on public roads. I’ve had to reprimand a few of them at the nearby gas station after a few of them have roared past me and my kids on our bicycles. God knows what they get up to on an unlicensed, ill-kept track.

Doesn’t anyone know how to just go for a soda anymore?

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]It boggles me mind that San Fran tommy starts a thread about an event, tragic indeed, in my neck of the tea groves.
Here I thought he only trolled the surf for flotsam about Taipei.

I hope this will be a lesson to all the rollers that cause no end of consternation as they weave and roar through Gaoyuan on their way to that shoddy track. Speed junkies need a place to let loose, but lots of them have no regard for the cardinal rule of safety first on public roads. I’ve had to reprimand a few of them at the nearby gas station after a few of them have roared past me and my kids on our bicycles. God knows what they get up to on an unlicensed, ill-kept track.

Doesn’t anyone know how to just go for a soda anymore?
[/quote]

I don’t understand anything you said! Can you please speak English!

You caught the Gingerman on a good day there :wink:.

Does this mean you are for or against a track for amateur boy-racers? The first two sentences imply your support – the presence of a track could displace the risk-taking from public roads – but the last implies your disdain, or perhaps your support if only the track were better maintained. You and sandman both share this ambiguous point of view!

Does this mean you are for or against a track for amateur boy-racers? The first two sentences imply your support – the presence of a track could displace the risk-taking from public roads – but the last implies your disdain, or perhaps your support if only the track were better maintained. You and sandman both share this ambiguous point of view![/quote]
Me? Not ambiguous at all. Tootle off down to the track and have fun. Pretend you’re on the track while racing down there on your bike on the public roads – as so many of them do – then you’re a complete fucking waste of oxygen.
And as for Taiwan lacking the skills and infrastructure, well, that’s just simple truth. Longtan (in general) is a perfect illustration of this. Its shoddy and terribly maintained. But don’t take MY word for it – just ask some of the people who actually use it and who know what an actual track is supposed to look like and how its supposed to operate. Should be easy. A bunch of them post on here.

Hmmm interesting. You know the Longtan race track doesnt even have a license for that track. The track doesn’t even own the land. They rent it and through some loophole have gotten away with operating that track for so many years. The track actually used to be way bigger, but they cut some parts out to “grow crops.” So they say that the land is used for farming as well. I don’t know how they get away with it! This is Taiwan. This isn’t the first time that track has been under fire, but honestly I doubt anything will happen. It has always managed to stay afloat! The track owners have made some changes in safety recently, but they are not enough. That track needs a complete overall. At least repave the fucking thing and maybe there will be less crashes. I can’t tell you how many times I have crashed on that track just from the track surface.[/quote]

The way i see it, the track owner should get charged, the track manager should get charges, the person who gave that track an OK to do what they do should get charges, the race organizers should get charges, the track should be shut down and destroyed so no one would ever ride in it, simply because no one will never invest the money to make it safe…

the guy who hit the other guy, well he is not guilty the way i see it… he signed and the other guy signed too…

And I actually Have been on that track. Once. Never, ever, ever again. I got halfway round, stopped the bike, got off, walked back and told the staff to bring the bike back in because there was NO WAY I was riding on their piece-of-shit ashphalt. They were totally bewildered. Had NO idea what I was talking about. Fucking ignorant hayseed clowns.

Does this mean you are for or against a track for amateur boy-racers? The first two sentences imply your support – the presence of a track could displace the risk-taking from public roads – but the last implies your disdain, or perhaps your support if only the track were better maintained. You and sandman both share this ambiguous point of view![/quote]
Me? Not ambiguous at all. Tootle off down to the track and have fun. Pretend you’re on the track while racing down there on your bike on the public roads – as so many of them do – then you’re a complete fucking waste of oxygen.
And as for Taiwan lacking the skills and infrastructure, well, that’s just simple truth. Longtan (in general) is a perfect illustration of this. Its shoddy and terribly maintained. But don’t take MY word for it – just ask some of the people who actually use it and who know what an actual track is supposed to look like and how its supposed to operate. Should be easy. A bunch of them post on here.[/quote]

First bit makes perfect sense. Dunno if the second bit is ambiguous or disengenuous but it does seem illogical.

You are suggesting canvassing the opinion of people who’s judgement, by implication, you question?

Why the hell not? I think they’re mad to race on that track. They know its a shit track, though, and they know what they’re talking about, so why NOT ask them?