Death penalty discussion

[color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: this was split from forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1672244[/color]

Shameful that Taiwan has yet to abolish the death penalty. Taiwan joins Japan, Singapore and the US as the only developed countries in the world that still have the death penalty. Most countries with the death penalty are Islamic states, Communist states, and/or dictatorships. Such good company we keep.

There’s some scum that just deserves to die.
The faster, the better.

1 Like

Such good logic you use.

As long as we’re veering predictably off topic into the land of the social justice warriors, let’s make them pay a price for having hijacked yet another thread…

Not that I have anything against hijacking threads per se, but there is no free lunch. You bring up the death penalty, and the death penalty is brought up. That;s how it works.

Obviously it follows that the country with the most executions has the least murders.

Fallacy: Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Fallacy: Post hoc ergo propter hoc.[/quote]

Oh, you know how to play that game. How very alt.atheism of you.

Say, how about that murder on the MRT?

1 Like

Slight misconception as many states do not have the death penalty in the U.S. My state hasn’t had it since the civil war.

[quote=“On The Brink”]
Slight misconception as many states do not have the death penalty in the U.S. My state hasn’t had it since the civil war.[/quote]

And on that token

deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterre … rder-rates

[quote=“rowland”]…Oh, you know how to play that game. How very alt.atheism of you.
[/quote]

Is that the latest thing the right believes all liberals are looking at? Kind of like the new Rules for Radicals?

[quote=“Josefus”]There’s some scum that just deserves to die.
The faster, the better.[/quote]

Yip. It actually costs more to put someone to death than incarcerate them in a Supermax. I think in single murder cases, don’t give them the death penalty. Let them rot in isolation. But multiple ones like this MRT murderer? He should be electrocuted as far as I am concerned.

Such good logic you use.

As long as we’re veering predictably off topic into the land of the social justice warriors, let’s make them pay a price for having hijacked yet another thread…

Not that I have anything against hijacking threads per se, but there is no free lunch. You bring up the death penalty, and the death penalty is brought up. That;s how it works.[/quote]

Alternatively, if you eliminate the death penalty and ban / confiscate guns, you could find that instead of a homicide rate of 4.7 / 100 000 like the US has, you have a rate of 1.1 / 100 000 like Australia has.

[quote=“cfimages”]
Alternatively, if you eliminate the death penalty and ban / confiscate guns, you could find that instead of a homicide rate of 4.7 / 100 000 like the US has, you have a rate of 1.1 / 100 000 like Australia has.[/quote]

This comparison is subtly racist, but only if you’ve really researched the subject. Otherwise, it’s merely ignorant.

Homework assignment: find out what I mean by that.

That you are a racist. That was easy. Do I get one of your hoary tales of growing up among the undeserving as a reward? I’d prefer a gnomic declaration if you are open to requests.

That you are a racist. That was easy. Do I get one of your hoary tales of growing up among the undeserving as a reward? I’d prefer a gnomic declaration if you are open to requests.[/quote]

You’re cute when you’re self-righteously indignant.

That you are a racist. That was easy. Do I get one of your hoary tales of growing up among the undeserving as a reward? I’d prefer a gnomic declaration if you are open to requests.[/quote]

You’re cute when you’re self-righteously indignant.[/quote]

I’m always cute. You need to do better than that.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“rowland”]…Oh, you know how to play that game. How very alt.atheism of you.
[/quote]

Is that the latest thing the right believes all liberals are looking at? Kind of like the new Rules for Radicals?[/quote]
Speaking of which, I had never heard of Saul Alinsky despite growing up among liberals in one of the most liberal parts of the US. After Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and the other far righties started blabbering on and on about it, out of curiosity I took a look at a summary of the methods used, and it turns out that they pretty much match up with the tactics used by conservatives these days.

Yes, we have strayed off topic. Feel free to split this off, mods.

I know. I heard about Alinksy from the rightwing blowhards on Fcom.

I have a question for those who oppose the death penatly, even in exceptional circumstances.

In the UK we abolished the death penalty in 1965 which was before a series of gruesome killings by Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, undoubtedly had the law permitted, they would have been sentenced to death, instead they were given life without the possibility of parole. So far so good right?

30 years down the line and there was quite a significant amount of coverage given to groups who thought Myra Hindley had served her time and should be released. Every time there was a parole hearing the families would be shown on tv crying and distraught on their way to testify that she should remain locked up for the rest of her life. There are many articles related to this such as Victim’s mother determined Hindley should not be released

Honestly, in these exceptional cases, there is no hope of parole. This killer on the MRT is never going to be allowed to walk free again, locking him up with no hope of release and like Ian Brady a target for other prisoners means it seems like a form of torture and solitary confinement, Brady has been trying to starve himself to death and has been force fed for 18 years. Added to that the families who repeatedly have to attend parole hearings and have the past dug up, cameras and media following them, wouldn’t a death penalty and early closure to everyone be the better option?

How can there be parole hearings if someone is incarcerated for life without possibility of parole?

I believe a lot of reforms have to be made to the penal system, beyond simply abolishing the death penalty. The very fact that inmates can victimize other inmates shows a serious flaw in the system, which I believe has to be addressed.

Force fed for 18 years? I do think that goes beyond the pale. That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Interesting point, which requires thought and analysis. Having not thought about it much, nor its ramifications or unintended consequences, I say at this point that if death is in the picture, at the very least it should be an option available for the inmate to voluntarily choose, not be something forced upon him. I say this as an advocate of the right to die with dignity (e.g. those who are terminally ill and/or face life-long suffering, total paralysis, persistent vegetative states with no expected possibility of recovery, or other such “fates worse than death”).

I’m no legal whizz, just remember every few years the families attending some hearing or another. Heres more on it.

Hindley parole ban ‘inhumane’

There was even something about her writting a 7 page letter to one of the mothers of the victims.

Myra Hindley: ‘It’s deeply upsetting to be described as evil’

Lots of debate in the media, I just kept thinking how upsetting it must be for the families.

Myra Hindley - should life mean life?