Death to QR Codes! (Restaurants and Menus)

Errr, why would you need to do this? Are you not using the wallet app on your phone?

Same with traditional book menus, especially the places that have different books for different categories like drinks, desserts, and lunch specials.

Don’t you usually just take your check to the counter at the end of the meal? That’s unrelated to ordering.

What if your phone isn’t working? Or what if it has no internet and the restaurant isn’t providing wifi?

1 Like

What if you’re blind? A book menu would be useless too.

I’m sure the restaurant can accommodate phone-less customers the same way they accommodate blind customers.

Some of them won’t.
QR codes are an answer to a problem we the customer didn’t have.
As I said I expect generative AI to make it much easier as it remembers what you like and prepares your potential orders as you walk in the door. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

What problem does qr codes solve? It seems to create a bunch of new problems, not to mention security and phishing concerns.

It isn’t necessary.

2 Likes

Offering it as an option to people who want to use it, but still having a traditional menu on a tablet for the people who don’t want to use their own device would be better.

I feel paper menus are on the way out for mid range places, one of the companies I work with, started switching to digital screens to display the menus about 5 years ago. At that time they had 24 outlets with 3 large printed menus in each, now they are down to 11 outlets that are still printed and they are being updated around every to months due to price increases.

I didn’t say digital menus are a problem though, I said QR codes for menus are a bitch on your phone
Tablets with some decent photos are pretty useful and of course paper menus will eventually go extinct.

I agree, i would choose walk than use a QR menu, as I say I don’t mind them using it as an option for people who want it, but it should be just that, an option.

The thing I dislike here is that they act like its all or nothing, like the boss got a new system so we have to use it. Either that or they are collecting information from behind the interface that couldn’t be collected from a regular POS system.

2 Likes

Capex is much higher, but opex should be lower with reduced staffing. I could see where the math could work quite well, depending on all the various other factors. :thinking:

2 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Death to QR Codes! (Non Culinary)

As soon as a restaurant asks me to scan a QR code or download an app to view the menu, I’m gone.

3 Likes

Spun the post office QR Codes into a new topic.

2 Likes

I ended up in another QR-code-only restaurant this evening in Taipei City’s East District. Thankfully I had a specific dish already recommended to me, and had also studied the menu as it appears on google reviews. So I skipped the QR code nonsense, told the Filipino staff that These QR codes are very unpopular with some foreigners right now, and ordered the dish I wanted.

Thank you @Mataiou for this recommendation. The calzone was great, if also huge for this single diner!

Guy

Toasteria has gone mad!

They will provide their ipad if you refuse to use the QR Code.

3 Likes

They really love this bloody qrs, don’t they?

Don’t most people order like one thing at this kind of place?

I dunno. I saw a QR code and I recoiled

1 Like

Went to a restaurant earlier in Sunny Coast, asked for a menu – the only menu they had was on the door and was directed to a QR code menu on the table.
It’s for this f***ing web app called meandu which proceeded to charge a 6.5 per cent venue surcharge, a 2 per cent payment processing fee, and then had the audacity to ask for a tip (10, 15, 25 per cent) as the cherry on top!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/aussies-fume-over-being-asked-to-use-qr-codes-at-restaurants/news-story/6f5c0be6b75584c1aceb2041433538aa

:australia: Restaurant changed to QR-Code menu and used third party with additional fees! lmao

3 Likes