Debit cards from the Post Office

[quote=“Mawvellous”]I got a reply back to my letter for the Post Office, which despite the rather archaic Chinese said exactly the same thing as the email they sent me previously: due to “business considerations” they are not issuing cards to foreigners. Of course they didn’t say what these considerations might be.
The letter was dealt with by an underlying to Director General Hu. I wonder if there is any way of making anyone who actually makes decisions in the Post Office deal with this matter.[/quote]

Good on you all for keeping on the trail of this. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ironlady”]Letter-writing campaign to the Liberty Times and other Chinese-language papers?
Letter-writing campaign directly to Ma Ying-jeou? (His English is very good.)[/quote]

Or… maybe someone high up in the political opposition? Maybe they have more of an interest in avoiding bureaucratic hurdles of this sort that make Taiwan look silly when seen from abroad. :whistle: Aren’t "business considerations” of this kind most easily interpreted as ignorance related to unspecific fears about foreigners and a lack of understanding how VISA debit cards really work? Funny how some non-government operated banks find it easy to deal with this non-problem.

That could be rather entertaining… :wink:

We need a face to come in and negotiate like Hartzel and his predecessor used to do. Why doesn’t some higher up from Forumosa, gather a petition together and schedule an appointment with a higher up.

Let them have an interview and tell the world.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]We need a face to come in and negotiate like Hartzel and his predecessor used to do. Why doesn’t some higher up from Forumosa, gather a petition together and schedule an appointment with a higher up.

Let them have an interview and tell the world.[/quote]

Who is Hartzel? (Excuse my question, i am new here.) :bow:

In any case, ironlady has the language skills and the experience of presenting the case,
so how about we ask her to do the job and set up a “beer (or whatever she prefers) fund” in support?
I’ll mail my contribution ! :slight_smile:

Love to, even without the beer (I’m more a zhenzhu naicha sort) but I don’t live in Taiwan, and just left the island yesterday evening. :cry: It was good fun though as far as it went. Of course, there is always Skype…but face to face is more effective.

A week ago [quote=“ironlady”][…] just left the island yesterday evening.[/quote]

:thanks: for lending your wit and skill in this matter.

(It’ll be a few months yet before i move to the island, so i’ve saved this thread for when i get back on this topic.)

Hartzel is or was a leading advocate of foreign spouse’s rights on this here island. Your right to work, multi-year visa leading up to the APRC visa, children of foreigner father’s in Taiwan getting citizenship etc. have a lot to do with his efforts.

I think there was a guy before him but he disapeared. Gone mad perhaps. Harzel is now living in semi retirement as a moderator of this board :laughing:

So… who’s our new face to face the man.

Thank you for giving me a reason to remove this item from my overly long list of things i don’t know! :bow:
This must be Richard Hartzel then - i have found quite a bit information about him, and from him, on the web…

Dunno. :wink: But here is some fuel for our imagination:
patrick-cowsill.blogspot.com/200 … rd-in.html
(I’ve started a new thread about the topic of credit cards at Can foreigners get a credit card in Taiwan?)

Wow, I guess this conversation really fizzled out. They (the Taiwanese) are succeeding at dividing and conquering us.

Yuli, you little newbie, that Patrick guy sounds like a good candidate. It seems he has the language. Our previous fearless leaders all had the language and that makes a big difference. Let’s anoint him in fragrent rice wine and chodofu and put him to work.

Here is something that I think has been forgotten. According to Hartzel and his predecessors Taiwan doesn’t have a precedent rule like we’ve got in the west.
I mean let’s say that every foreigner married to a Taiwanese meets the requirements for a multi-year visa or the right to work each foreigner will still be denied, then passed on appeal with the same obvious proof that could have got him the right in the first place.

So, connections seem to matter an awful lot. You can have ten people each with identical proof, five get passed, five denied. You can ban together and argue but they will tell you. It’s their right to accept or reject you even if your proof is the same.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Wow, I guess this conversation really fizzled out. They (the Taiwanese) are succeeding at dividing and conquering us.

Yuli, you little newbie, that Patrick guy sounds like a good candidate. It seems he has the language. Our previous fearless leaders all had the language and that makes a big difference. Let’s anoint him in fragrent rice wine and chodofu and put him to work.

Here is something that I think has been forgotten. According to Hartzel and his predecessors Taiwan doesn’t have a precedent rule like we’ve got in the west.
I mean let’s say that every foreigner married to a Taiwanese meets the requirements for a multi-year visa or the right to work each foreigner will still be denied, then passed on appeal with the same obvious proof that could have got him the right in the first place.

So, connections seem to matter an awful lot. You can have ten people each with identical proof, five get passed, five denied. You can ban together and argue but they will tell you. It’s their right to accept or reject you even if your proof is the same.[/quote]

I’m still on the case. But unless the post office decide they want to give us debit cards, there’s not much we can do except write letters. If the post office don’t give me a favourable reply, I am going to write to the Ministry of Transport and Communications which holds 100% of the shares in the Post Office.
If other people write letters as well it will be more effective. Maybe people could write to the English or Chinese language newspapers about this issue.

Just a natural hiatus, for lack of new information. :wink:

As soon as i am in Taiwan i will pursue this matter further, as well.

Exactly…

OK, guys, now is the time to fight if they say no:

[quote]The Chunghwa Post Co., Ltd. (中華郵政) announced it is to raise daily quota for its VISA debit card users to NT$60,000 from NT$30,000 and monthly quota to NT$100,000 from NT$60,000 starting today; it also accepts applications for VISA debit cards from foreign residents aged over 18 from now on. …

Foreigners can also apply for VISA debit cards with Chunghwa Post as long as they present their passports, bank account books, stamps used when opening an account and residence permits with a validity of more than three months.

[/quote]
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … a-Post.htm

If someone can find the Chinese version, much obliged.

I asked the friendly folks downstairs, who promptly replied: but you could always have the card…

They love me, they really love me.

Hmm, I got one from my bank, can’t be used online, apart from that, quite good.

OK, Chinese version in case someone needs it:

From CNA

[quote]郵局外籍儲戶 可辦VISA金融卡
更新日期:2010/03/16 13:10
(中央社記者汪淑芬台北16日電)中華郵政公司今天宣布,17日起,開放年滿18歲的外國籍儲戶申辦VISA金融卡。

外籍儲戶本人持護照、儲金簿、原留印鑑及申辦時有效期3個月以上的居留證,就可臨櫃申辦。990316
[/quote]

From the Post Office itself:

[quote]郵政VISA金融卡 開放外籍人士申辦並提高刷卡限額

發佈單位:總經理室 發佈時間:99/03/16閱次:238

中華郵政公司為加強服務,自99年3月17日起,開放年滿18歲之外籍儲戶得申辦VISA金融卡。外籍儲戶本人持護照、儲金簿、原留印鑑及申辦時有效期3個月以上之居留證,即可臨櫃申辦。

另為便利儲戶刷卡消費,中華郵政同時將國內外刷卡消費限額每日不逾新台幣3萬元調升為不逾6萬元,每月不逾6萬元調升為不逾10萬元。

中華郵政公司表示,郵政VISA金融卡可便利持卡人在商店刷卡購物免攜帶現金,且不會透支,是很好用的支付工具,歡迎民眾多加利用,中華郵政公司將秉持一貫以客為尊的服務精神,繼續提供便利的服務。

聯絡人:中華郵政公司 儲匯處 王淑敏 02-23931261*3302

[/quote]
post.gov.tw/post/index.jsp

[quote=“Icon”]OK, Chinese version in case someone needs it:

From CNA

[quote]郵局外籍儲戶 可辦VISA金融卡
更新日期:2010/03/16 13:10
(中央社記者汪淑芬台北16日電)中華郵政公司今天宣布,17日起,開放年滿18歲的外國籍儲戶申辦VISA金融卡。

外籍儲戶本人持護照、儲金簿、原留印鑑及申辦時有效期3個月以上的居留證,就可臨櫃申辦。990316
[/quote]

From the Post Office itself:

[quote]郵政VISA金融卡 開放外籍人士申辦並提高刷卡限額

發佈單位:總經理室 發佈時間:99/03/16閱次:238

中華郵政公司為加強服務,自99年3月17日起,開放年滿18歲之外籍儲戶得申辦VISA金融卡。外籍儲戶本人持護照、儲金簿、原留印鑑及申辦時有效期3個月以上之居留證,即可臨櫃申辦。

另為便利儲戶刷卡消費,中華郵政同時將國內外刷卡消費限額每日不逾新台幣3萬元調升為不逾6萬元,每月不逾6萬元調升為不逾10萬元。

中華郵政公司表示,郵政VISA金融卡可便利持卡人在商店刷卡購物免攜帶現金,且不會透支,是很好用的支付工具,歡迎民眾多加利用,中華郵政公司將秉持一貫以客為尊的服務精神,繼續提供便利的服務。

聯絡人:中華郵政公司 儲匯處 王淑敏 02-23931261*3302

[/quote]
post.gov.tw/post/index.jsp[/quote]
Icon, nice work as always. I’ll be going in to try this out by next week. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Good news - the letters to, and talks with, various Chungwa people seem to have had an effect. :slight_smile:

There is now an electronic statement option for postal VISA debit cards. I got this in my email a few days ago:

[quote]親愛的客戶您好:

為加強服務,本公司已開辦「網路/語音」、「VISA金融卡」之電子對帳單服

務,如已申請網路郵局或使用本公司網路ATM者,請自行於線上申請各業務「電子對
帳單」服務,於登入後選按「帳戶基本資料管理」項下「對帳方式查詢/變更」。
如需臨櫃申請者,請本人攜國民身分證、儲金簿、印鑑至任一郵局(非通儲戶至
立帳局)辦理。
謝謝您的支持,並請多多利用「電子對帳單」服務。

中華郵政股份有限公司 啟

※本郵件為系統發送,請勿直接回覆[/quote]
Rough translation:

[quote]Dear customer:

To better serve you, we are beginning a new VISA debit card e-statement service. If you have already registered for web post office service or web ATM service, you can activate the e-statement service online. Log in to the webpage and click on 帳戶基本資料管理 (Basic account management) then 對帳方式查詢/變更 (Statement verify/change).

If you wish to have a bank teller assist you, please bring your 身分證 (national ID card), 儲金簿 (savings passbook), and 印鑑 (personal seal/chop) to any post office (speak to the banking department).

Thank you and please enjoy the e-statement service.[/quote]

…The Zhonghua Post Co., Ltd.?

Is that like the national post office?

I don’t have a passbook, if I go to the bank I assume they’ll give me one?

Also, my boss opened my account for me so will he know about stamps used when opening an account…? and residence permits with a validity of more than three months?

EDIT: I have had my since resident visa since 2009/09

thanks.

I will go to my local post office on Wednesday and let you know the outcome…

I sent in an e-mail aswell…nice to see they might change their policy now.

Have you applied for one yet? did you get one?