Debit cards from the Post Office

Got one already, need to remember to take your passport AND your ARC.
One week turnaround time.

That’s great news…and you can use them online (not just for Taiwanese sites)…just like a credit card?

Please tell me this is true!

You can specify that you will permit use outside of the country, however i’m not sure if this includes card absent transactions (e.g. a telephone or internet order). Often it will not even matter, as several major sites (e.g. Amazon US, Paypal) will only accept credit cards issued their locality.

I’m not sure if there’s any concept of “building credit” in Taiwan by using a credit card over a debit card. Can anyone provide some insight?

You can specify that you will permit use outside of the country, however I’m not sure if this includes card absent transactions (e.g. a telephone or internet order). Often it will not even matter, as several major sites (e.g. Amazon US, Paypal) will only accept credit cards issued their locality.

You can specify that you will permit use outside of the country,…OK. I understand this part…but this part…

however I’m not sure if this includes card absent transactions (e.g. a telephone or internet order). Often it will not even matter, as several major sites (e.g. Amazon US, Paypal) will only accept credit cards issued their locality.

I have no idea what you are talking about…oh wait minute now I do. Amazon…never used it. What about something like Flickr.com…that’s based in the US? Or buying airline tickets…through AirAsia?

success!

Went to the local post office today. showed then the pages from this topic (form the post office web site)

some tips, as said before, yes take in your ARC, Passport…and something to prove your address, bills etc. This was just my situation I think because my ARC has my place of employment. You can deposit, withdraw only inside Taiwan. But you can still use it internationally on the web…

[quote=“digiboy”]success!

Went to the local post office today. showed then the pages from this topic (form the post office web site)

some tips, as said before, yes take in your ARC, Passport…and something to prove your address, bills etc. This was just my situation I think because my ARC has my place of employment. You can deposit, withdraw only inside Taiwan. But you can still use it internationally on the web…[/quote]

What?!?!?!?!

I have a standard cirrus card here, and it works all over the place. The same with my UBOT Visa debit. I have withdrawn cash from both.

from what I can gather…most ATM cards issued from Taiwan banks use a 6 digit PIN…other countries use 4.

Although, I haven’t got it yet, maybe, the Post Office one use 4 digit pin…?

Most cards here have dual pins, one for Taiwan and one for abroad. You can use more than 6 digits here, not sure if it was 8 or 12 that was the max.

[quote=“digiboy”]success!

some tips, as said before, yes take in your ARC, Passport…and something to prove your address, bills etc. This was just my situation I think because my ARC has my place of employment. You can deposit, withdraw only inside Taiwan. But you can still use it internationally on the web…[/quote]

Not true. They specifically asked me if I would like the function to use it abroad, and got me to code in a separate number for overseas transactions.

ok…I’ll ask next week when I pick it up…BTW…thanks for the advice…

I went and asked about this today. I got no arguments about whether I could get one, and was told that I would be able to use it abroad. Planning to go back tomorrow to submit the forms - the lady wanted me to have a friend go over the terms and contract for me (since my Chinese is nowhere near the debit-card-agreement-reading level :slight_smile: ). I’ll make sure to ask about 4 digit PIN numbers and online transactions.
I’m heading to Europe next month and it will be soooo nice to have access to my Taiwan account.

:fume: :bluemad: :fume: :bluemad: So I went to give them my application form today, all excited about finally getting a card for overseas. But nope - DENIED. Apparently because my ARC expires “too soon”. I tried to assure her that I was going to renew it and stay, but no dice. So I’m screwed over yet again but having one-year work contracts :fume:
What the hell do they think is going to happen? I have piles of money sitting in their damn bank, and it’s a freaking debit card, where’s the risk? Even if I do vanish in a puff of smoke the day my ARC expires, they still have all my damn money.

[quote=“zyzzx”]:fume: :bluemad: :fume: :bluemad: So I went to give them my application form today, all excited about finally getting a card for overseas. But nope - DENIED. Apparently because my ARC expires “too soon”. I tried to assure her that I was going to renew it and stay, but no dice. So I’m screwed over yet again but having one-year work contracts :fume:
What the hell do they think is going to happen? I have piles of money sitting in their damn bank, and it’s a freaking debit card, where’s the risk? Even if I do vanish in a puff of smoke the day my ARC expires, they still have all my damn money.[/quote]

You have to have at least 3 months remaining on your ARC when you apply. So when you get your new ARC there will be no problem.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“zyzzx”]:fume: :bluemad: :fume: :bluemad: So I went to give them my application form today, all excited about finally getting a card for overseas. But nope - DENIED. Apparently because my ARC expires “too soon”. I tried to assure her that I was going to renew it and stay, but no dice. So I’m screwed over yet again but having one-year work contracts :fume:
What the hell do they think is going to happen? I have piles of money sitting in their damn bank, and it’s a freaking debit card, where’s the risk? Even if I do vanish in a puff of smoke the day my ARC expires, they still have all my damn money.[/quote]

You have to have at least 3 months remaining on your ARC when you apply. So when you get your new ARC there will be no problem.[/quote]
They told me 3 months at first too, until I pointed out that I have 3 1/2 months left. Then they still said no, it’s too soon, and kept saying something about 6 months. I will try again after I get my new ARC, but I’m going to be spending a month overseas in the meantime and it would have been really nice to have some way to access my money.

[quote=“zyzzx”]
They told me 3 months at first too, until I pointed out that I have 3 1/2 months left. Then they still said no, it’s too soon, and kept saying something about 6 months. I will try again after I get my new ARC, but I’m going to be spending a month overseas in the meantime and it would have been really nice to have some way to access my money.[/quote]

Their website clearly states 3 months. I only had about 4 months left when I successfully applied.

The relevant rules can be found on the website. Maybe you could print off a copy and show it to the post office staff.
post.gov.tw/post/index.jsp

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“zyzzx”]
They told me 3 months at first too, until I pointed out that I have 3 1/2 months left. Then they still said no, it’s too soon, and kept saying something about 6 months. I will try again after I get my new ARC, but I’m going to be spending a month overseas in the meantime and it would have been really nice to have some way to access my money.[/quote]

Their website clearly states 3 months. I only had about 4 months left when I successfully applied.

The relevant rules can be found on the website. Maybe you could print off a copy and show it to the post office staff.
post.gov.tw/post/index.jsp[/quote]
Grrr, then she didn’t even have a valid reason to deny me, that just makes me more pissed off! I wonder if she was trying to save face after realizing that she couldn’t add 3+4, or something like that. She did try to convince me that my ATM card was practically the same thing as the debit card :loco:
I did have the print-out from the website, but obviously I didn’t look at it closely enough, since I didn’t realize that it said the 3 month thing on it. I showed it to the person who gave me the forms on Thursday, don’t remember if I showed it to the woman today. My ability to argue was also somewhat hampered by the fact that my Chinese isn’t all that great. But I guess I’ll try again. Unfortunately it’s too late for my trip though - On Sunday I’m headed to China for 10 days, and will only be back in Taiwan for 5 days before leaving for Europe… My fault for procrastinating, but still, if the woman had known what she was talking about, it would have been fine…

I got my debit card there and then in the bank, although it’s the kind that can’t be used online, so I guess it’s not the same as what you’ll be getting from the post office…

Are there any advantages to getting this visa card if you already have Taiwan credit cards. Actually, I’d like an American equivalent.

BTW, what are the fraud protections on the Post Offices Debit card. I would only keep spending cash in that account. I’m afraid someone may empty the account.

I’m sick and tired of having my mom pay for photo’s of the kids from her local(S) photo services just because the photo services don’t accept foreign credit cards. Any solutions? Work arounds?

If you opened a checking account with an US bank they will give you a Visa/Mastercard debit card by default. With Bank of America and Citibank, you actually have to ASK for a NON-Visa/Mastercard debit card.

What a joke! Yes, you can get one. Yes you can use it in shops, and withdraw money OS. (you have a 4 digit pin)

BUT you cannot use it online or link it to paypal (I just tried…)… :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: