Debit cards from the Post Office

Success! I was able to use my new Visa card to withdraw money from an Austrian ATM :slight_smile:. The 6 digit PIN was no problem. Havenā€™t tried using it in a shop yet thoughā€¦

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the Post Office Debit card to buy Skype packages online? It seems like Amazon does not work? Where exactly can you use this card online? Is it a good card to get for online purchases? I donā€™t have a credit card.

@twonavels: if this card is like any other so-called ā€˜debit cardā€™ that are available to expats here, then no - you can not use them to make online purchaces. The card will be fr ā€˜electronic use onlyā€™ - i.e. in shops in Taiwan and in ATMs. I find it hard to believe that it works overseas.

They will work abroad (provided you set up the function when you apply). However, they do not work for online purchases.

Soā€¦ would the post office be the best place for a foreigner to open a bank account with the hopes of getting a visa debit card for online purchases?

You can get a Visa debit card from Taishin Bank that works abroad, as well as onlineā€¦but your ARC has to be valid for more than a year.

oh suckā€¦ thereā€™s no taishin bank in yunlinā€¦ do anyone know which branch is the nearest to me?? im at douliu, yunlin.
how about chinatrustā€¦ can i use their Visa debit card for online purchases?
i have an ARC,etc. im a college student here.

I once ended up without any money in Thailand because the ā€œinternational debt cardā€ issued by a Taiwanese bank didnā€™t actually work overseas. My friends card ā€“ identical to mine ā€“ worked, though.

[quote=ā€œConfusedā€]oh suckā€¦ thereā€™s no taishin bank in Yunlinā€¦ do anyone know which branch is the nearest to me?? im at douliu, Yunlin.
how about chinatrustā€¦ can i use their Visa debit card for online purchases?
I have an ARC,etc. im a college student here.[/quote]

Here is a link to a list of all their branches. Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

thanksā€¦
there is a chinatrust bank not far from my placeā€¦
does the visa debit card of chinatrust can be used for online shopping??
and do this post officeā€™s debit visa card can be used for clickbank or paypal??

Iā€™m sorry, I have no idea if those work for online shopping. Best you visit them and find out. Good luck!

I thought that Chinatrust had always refused to issue Visa debit cards to foreigners?

You have to ask them to open it for use overseas. At Union Bank they asked me when I applied, however always check.

What I hate about the international debit cards, is that they only work if itā€™s possible for the machine overseas to connect not to Visa but also to the bank in Taiwan. The links do not always work, so itā€™s hit and miss at times. In Feb, I managed to be unable to buy lift passes due to Union Bankā€™s server not being available - it was fine 10 minutes later, though.

the post office visa debit card is not working onlineā€¦ what a wasteā€¦
i think i will make a new account at chinatrust or maybe taishinā€¦
do you guys have any idea how much i need for the first deposit each bank?
i hear from my friend the first deposit is about 10.000 NT is it right?

my 2 cents here

For any complaint about the banking service in Taiwan, try send it to the (Banking Bureau) Financial Supervisory Commission.
No hurt to try

banking.gov.tw/Layout/main_e ā€¦ x?frame=13

I just got myself a visa debit card, not from post office (since I realized it wont work online), but from ChinaTrust bank.

I was told it would work online, and it only did for websites that doesnā€™t have the ā€˜verified by visaā€™ security feature, which requires you to key in some extra passwords when you do online transaction (aka 'VISA 3-D secure"). Most online shopping payment requires this these days, I had no choice but to use my oversea credit card I had before.

I called ChinaTrust bank customer service, after inquiries, they said that foreigners canā€™t sign-up for this 'VISA 3-D secure" feature due to system limitation for debit card, and advised me to apply for their credit card so I would be eligible to sign-up for ā€œVISA 3-D secureā€

Anyone here is using visa debit card from ChinaTrust, or any other bank that has this same limitation also? I just want to make sure I am not getting fooled around by the banks here, because I also have a debit card from my home country, it has this ā€˜VISA 3-Dā€™ approved for no problem at all.

I am using a visa debit card from HuaNan Bank, and it seems that I can only use it for purchases locally or on Taiwan-based websites. The bank actually told me this in advance, but I was hoping it would have gone through somehowā€¦ :pray:

My employer is helping me co-sign for a SinoPac credit card, as part of my contract renewal. Been rejected several times when applying by myself, even through ā€œguan xiā€ connections.

my situation is a bit different, I knew that HuaNan debit card is limited for local use, my ChinaTrust debit cards works for some site overseas, I already tried it on amazon.com, it works because they donā€™t use this 'Visa 3-D secure" feature.

It just doesnā€™t work on most other sites that need this extra security, e.g. airlines company for buying air tickets, they need me to enter some extra passwords for the payment to proceed, ChinaTrust bank doesnā€™t allow me to set up this extra security password due to limitation they said.

Anyone had the same problem?

Since the topic is no longer just the POVDC, i have tried a summary at A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards
:slight_smile: