Decaf coffee

Does anyone know a cafe in Tainan where one can drink a decaf cup of Joe?

With the exception of Starbucks, it seems you can’t get a cup of decaf anywhere in Taiwan.
Has anyone notice that?

I don’t want the beans, just a cup of coffee in a cafe where I can sit down.

2 Likes

Yep. Hasn’t caught on here.

2 Likes

I myself have never found a café that serves decaf, other than Starbucks as you mentioned. I’ve heard that Ikari does; do they have those in Tainan?

1 Like

Not a single one.

You can get it at Wwoolloommoolloo on Xinyi road in Taipei.

At last, a chance to use a phrase that I made up (at least I think it’s original):

Decaf coffee is as rare in Taiwan as the number 4 in a license plate

1 Like

But how about in Tainan?

1 Like

No clue about Tainan. I was responding to the statement that you can’t get decaf anywhere in Taiwan other than at Starbucks.

That makes me curious if it’s available at The Diner. I think if any place in Taipei would have it, it would be there. Anyone know? (I didn’t see that menu page on their Google maps entry)

Somebody should invent a powdered reagent that you can add to caffeinated drinks to decaffeinate them. (Before anyone attempts to engage me in a chemistry debate, I have no clue whatsoever if this is possible.)

3 Likes

Nailed the spelling rc.

You could plausibly bind the caffeine molecules using some kind of zeolite, clay, or antibody then filter or decant off the sediment/gloop, but it might be a bit unappetizing and expensive and affect some of the flavor compounds as well.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jpcc.0c07834

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01347

2 Likes

Carrefour sells decaf coffee ground. Called the ‘Grand Classique’. In store. Well, some stores.

Lavazza has one product, as does Illy. Not sure if they make it in store. Online menus suggest not.

Costco also has decaf beans for sale. Looks like you might have to make it yourself!

3 Likes

Has Taiwan changed so much that you must actually order food and drink from the cafe you sit down in?

Bring your own decaf from SB and order a scone. :idunno:

Does Starbucks actually serve decaf coffee? I didn’t see it anywhere on their menu, but maybe I need to go in and ask them.

I’ve been looking for places in Taoyuan that serve it and haven’t found any. In fact I can’t even find it at any of the supermarkets

Yes. If I remember correctly it’s listed in small print at the bottom of the menu, along with other options like soy milk, etc. Ask for 無咖啡因.

It’s sold already ground at Carrefour on Jing Guo Road, and decaf whole beans can be purchased at Mia C’bon (upstairs)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try asking them next time. As for Carrefour, I didn’t see any last time I was there but I’ll check again. I know where Mia C’bon is, didn’t think of checking there

I’m at Carrefour right now. In the past, they had their own Carrefour brand of decaf in the coffee aisle. When I just now checked I didn’t see any. However, in the import aisle I found ground decaf…

and decaf whole bean coffee …

By the way, I accidentally bumped into a booze display and ended up breaking two 500NT bottles of whiskey. I was very apologetic and they didn’t make me pay for it. Thank God I wasn’t in the fancy expensive wine room!

3 Likes

They definitely do. I never go to Starbucks in any country in the world except for Taiwan because, sadly, Starbucks is the only coffee shop in Taiwan that actually sells decaf coffee.

I was just at Mia C’Bon in 101 yesterday and they had the Illy and the Hausbrandt Decaf.

3 Likes