Decaffeinated coffee beans

oh really? i didnt know that.
do u know any coffee type that get better after a few weeks.
i order from Laos before, and it gets sour after 10 days plus… :frowning:

Our roaster sometimes tells us that the beans were just roasted yesterday and we need to wait a few weeks before opening them. (Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe … washed …) They still have a lovely aroma, make a great cold brew, keeping all these different flavor notes.
We use the whole bag at once to make cold brew. For big batches, 1 kg, for smaller 200-250 grams.

A good stew is better the day after it was made, so maybe coffee is too. Anyhow, it depends on packaging, beans, roasting grade …

2 Likes

Yes, kopi luwak. It takes a while to be digested and eliminated.

1 Like

Milk me! We are talking about roasted coffee, not the one that exits the poop hole in it’s natural state (you can not call that green)!

Well, they do sun-dry and roast it after they pick it out of the poop.

Maxwell House coffee doesn’t get better, but it lasts for 3-4 years and still tastes the same.

2 Likes

It’s house made!

I received a gift of cat poop coffee once. It sat lonely on the shelf until that one day when there was no coffee. Surprise surprise cat poop makes great coffee!

1 Like

Area you suggesting that @Icon has a gold mine on hands?

2 Likes

If you don’t mind powdered, then Nescafe also do a decaf version here too.

IMG-20191017-WA0001

Yum!

I believe I bought some at Ikea before.
I didn’t like it though, Not sure if because of the lack of caffeine , or flavour, or both.

TL;DR decaf coffee good!

I drink decaf Nespresso capsules - can be ordered online but need a machine. Here’s another illy option on PChome: https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DBCO0C-A9009T6RX

And now to answer the question: WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE DRINK DECAF COFFEE???

I used to drink coffee all day long and was of the same opinion. Decaf coffee - a travesty …

But then I got older and noticed that I was getting anxious, jittery, exasperated. I didn’t know what was happening to me and then I realized it was the caffeine… (well, and the aging).

But I like coffee and it has many health benefits. Most importantly protects me liver! I still drink the caffeinated stuff in the AM but way less than I used to and now drink decaf (or 高山茶) in the afternoon.

So there you go - drink decaf because you like coffee but want to avoid the jitters, because it’s been proven to be just as healthy, because you can choose caf/decaf, because you want to have a cup of java after a big dinner or before bed, because you’re friggin’ crazy.

Btw been looking for other options came here hoping to find just this topic. Thanks @jeroniefias. Betcha didn’t know you’d be opening such a can of worms (beans)!

3 Likes

To soften the effects of caffeine as you age, you can either cut back as you suggest, or massively ramp up your consumption. By massively ramping up consumption, your body is effectively dulled by the high dose, and the jitteriness goes away. This is the path I have chosen…

PS There is absolutely no science, or perhaps even logic, in the above.

1 Like

Awesome @bdog - will have to try that over the weekend!

Any updates on where to find decent decaf beans?

I made a big batch of Irish coffees last night and it kept me up until 8am. So I guess despite following @bdog Bert’s strategy

for many years, I have apparently reached the age where 12 Irish coffees after midnight is at least one too many.

2 Likes

You’re supposed to drink them in the morning before work. Jeez, what a clown. :grin:

1 Like

I do wish uppers and downers cancelled eachother…

That would kind of ruin the fun of speedballs…

1 Like

Either way blood flows!

Guy

1 Like