Degrowth in Taiwan

Any knowledge of Degrowth networks in Taiwan in English or Chinese?

And is anyone here interested in joining or starting something?

1 Like

That’s anathema to everything Taiwan.

3 Likes

A reduction of production and consumption in the global North and liberation from the one-sided Western paradigm of development. This could allow for a self-determined path of social organization in the global South.

You mean that one sided western paradigm that has given the world stability and growth, peace and prosperity, the one that has pulled BILLIONS out of lifelong generational poverty?

That one?

2 Likes

To avoid both extremes of the spectrum above. See permaculture. Reality is, to stay centric, you must walk into the fringes for help sometimes. Most dislike admitting that reality.

4 Likes

When the economy doesn’t grow, people get racist and xenophobic.

That really ends up being a good litmus test for a nations’ intelligence. And I dont mean testing how sour people are.

1 Like

I think that happens either way. Criminality and authoritarianism increases, for sure.

1 Like

I can’t imagine this system happening in Taiwan for at least another decade or so. If you want an example of “growth at all costs”, just look at the housing sector. Constantly kicking people out of and knocking down old buildings and then replacing them with shoddily constructed new, tall buildings that look “pretty” on the outside but are usually shit on the inside, yet cost more and more with each passing day. Empty buildings that no one is living inside, maintenance falling by the wayside, but “property only ever goes up in value!!”

3 Likes

As an aside, I saw something the other day while researched trusts that made me think a lot about home ownership, especially if one is on the lower end of the economic scale.

A home’s value can keep increasing over time, for a long time even, and passed down from one generation to the next. Just borrow against the home every 15 years or so to do maintenance, new roof, furnace, etc. Have to still play the game and keep a steady job, but, the path is clear and marked. :idunno:

1 Like

Not exactly. if the property isnt making money, it eventually goes ted line due to inflation. and on the inflation front, it can be like a wave. above or below the median line. example. buying 25 years ago then selling 15 years ago you would lose heavily. buying 15 years ago and selling now, opposite. probably, buying now and selling 10 years later is a negative as well. Key is make money on the purchase. otherwise, just buy it for personal happiness. no issues with that. but as an investment or staying ahead of the curve…it is a game. And the game always tilts in certain peoples/systems favor.

inheritance tax is a bit of a heated discussion. Everyone with bigger guns gets their cut.

The point the woman was making was never to sell, though. She wanted people to create generational wealth.

ahh, I see. to that, I agree. accumulating land is a tried and true method. let’s just hope governments dont over reach their inheritance or similar taxation. War times tend to fuck up everyone’s generational preditictions. worthy of thought in a country like taiwan.

1 Like

Psyop to cause other countries to be undermined by their own citizens. Don’t fall for it.

More and more growth is demanded until the only way to grow is by taking major advantage of the middle and lower classes to keep the growth up. We can see that now with grocery prices and housing worldwide. Which is going to create a big destabilization in society soon I feel. Maybe not in Taiwan through, people are too submissive to complain.

When income inequality get half as bad as Brazil’s, I’ll start taking you seriously.

Now that’s whataboutism.

Paging @Brianjones . . .

1 Like

OK, as America’s or Europe’s.

When it gets as bad as Brazil’s, there will be riots. You don’t want it to go that bad. You can just see the news what happens when it becomes a third world S.H.

1 Like

Taiwan is too comfortable living in cramped quarters with constant social conflict (ie. living with family). It will take far more hardship here to reach lack of food level poverty due to such savings, compared to say the US. These comparisons are not realistic.

1 Like

Degrowthwill happen as the population keeps dropping or China starts bombing us.

But Taiwan, or as I like to call it Fossil Fuel Island, isn’t going to change it’s ways anytime soon.

3 Likes