Degrowth in Taiwan

Even in the USA and Canada, a lot of adult kids are coming back home to live due to costs. It’s becoming like Asia

2 Likes

Absolutely. This is more and more common it seems for sure. Massive real estate speculation has pretty much ensured this for many. Homeless for others. but it is still not a cultural expectation, more just a young persons’ saving up for future happiness of independence. Most of the vanadians/US parents I know charge their kids rent. I was as well. I like the idea of promoting responsibilyy in these terms. More and more there, for sure, but Taiwan is on a different level, and that wealth builds up over generations. US and Canada are still going through growing pains because it is quite difficult living with their elders that more often than not have (perhaps justified) entitlement and privelege whilst the younger generations were taught explicitly that they have individual rights and freedoms. Even in Taiwan this need for personal space and respect causes hatred/resentment while living with family here. even living nearby. there are pros and cons to both. Seems both cultures are still largely ignoring the main point of both systems:work for your share and enjoy the entitlement you earned. ahem, not given.

So everyone has a choice to make, assuming the country they live affords such freedoms. for me, I would rather live “poor” but happy and maintain very positive based relationships with my family. rather than rich and on a leash and all the negativity that ensues. Probably there are a few that manage both well, just never met a family like that (here). Ideally a culture allows both, such as Taiwan now, as well as Canada and the US amongst others :slight_smile: the goal is never make the culture conformists and homogeneous. that’s the death of freedom.

1 Like

Yep. Definitely a problem with entitled millennials and not a problem with wages that haven’t budged since before millennials were born, meanwhile the cost of everything has gone up how many fold, the number of billionaires has increased by how much? Oh, and the number of unhoused is likely the highest it ever was since human civilizations became a thing, mostly thanks to corporate greed?

My parents bought the house they live in now in 1990 for USD89k. According to Zillow, it’s now worth over 500k, and that “zestimate” doesn’t factor in the renovations that were done that probably bring the resale value up higher than that. But millennials are entitled and expect things to be handed to them. It’s not a problem that someone with an engineering degree in 2023 might be making ~20k more than someone with the same degree and experience in 1990, but the cost of a house that an engineer bought in 1990 is at least five times more expensive. Nope, it’s all about lazy, entitled young people.

Did you ever think that maybe the act of moving back in with one’s parents because there are few jobs, even with a college degree in “something useful”, that allow one to live on their own might be indicative of “degrowth is already happening”? That this next generation and all following generations will not be able to live like their parents and grandparents, with “ever increasing” “quality of life”, because no matter how much they work, they won’t make the same real wages as previous generations? Degrowth will happen on its own, eventually, when 99% of the population can no longer afford to put food in the table.

1 Like

History shows that often popular uprising often happens when inequality becomes so bad that everyone is starving while the rich is becoming ever richer. It happened in France, Russia, and who knows where it will happen again. All because a few people are selfish to the core.

That’s not what I was saying. but Ido agree, housing.inflation is a bitch. I would have fully agreed with banning chinese from entry, build the wall and all. but that didn’t happen, now 1 fen is 3 million instead of 300k .

Hiking wages to fix runaway inflation is short sighted. only because it creates worse inflation. tight price gouging controls would be better. but how to do that? the covid paranoia made everyone rich. we should look into that more closely rather than causing small businesses to not afford labor and.go bankrupt. basically, we probably agree on the goal but our methods seem to be coming.from opposite ends into the center.

That said, regardless of.money. no denying the work ethic of todays human in countries like taiwan. Intelligence as well. I have to teach grade 3 math to an adult in order for them not to fuck.up digging a hole. it is getting beyond ridiculous how things are going.

You have either a strange definition of everyone or a strange definition of rich.

Or both maybe? :idunno:

ya, that was a tad hyperbolic, sorry.

A more literal way to say it: Many people are making huge amounts of money of the covid reaction, and especially with the inflation the panic fueled. They continue making.large amounts of money based on fake excuses of costs and now larger margins than before.

1 Like

For those who don’t know the concept, Degrowth is the opposite of collapse. It is a controlled return within the physical limits of a livable world.

Growth is, however, synonym with collapse once you pass the sustainability threshold (Taiwan’s ecological footprint is three planets). Jumping from the balcony makes you ‘fly’ a short while, depleting non-renewable resources creates growth for a short while too…

1 Like

I’m interested to here you explain more about measuring Taiwan’s ecological footprint.

1 Like

:rofl:

Average household size in Taiwan is 2.89. Average household size in America is 2.5. This is fake news.

You’re one of the few exceptions

1 Like

A bunch of people stormed into the parliament and stayed there for 3 weeks but sure, people are too submissive to complain.

How long did that last before it was crushed and never a whimper about it again. Plus it was because they wanted their money,which to be fair was stolen from them

I was referring to the 2014 protest. It wasn’t crushed. It was over because it worked. They stormed in to block the bill, and the bill ended up dead.

Nobody gaf about the entitled Karens demanding their money you are referring to.

Idk what pills you are on. There are protests all the time. Many Taiwanese people have died doing so not that long ago.

Care to clarify? bit confused on your point.

My point is that people don’t live with family more in Taiwan than in the US. At least not substantially so.

Umm hmm

Very convincing argument.

I would argue that traditionally (within our lifetimes…meaning let’s say 4 generations)…they do. more importantly, they are expected to. it exists everywhere, but Taiwan is pretty extreme for a free developed country. it would seem that while Taiwan is moving toward smore independent freedom and moving out of the family homestead, Canada / usa are doing the opposite. and both sides are doing so for what seems like fairly clear and obvious reasons.

1 Like

Sure those families exist, but the average household size suggests that they are in the extreme minority these days.