Deleted Posts

Bodo, I can only say that in IP, certain lines are flamed. Those that are are mostly personal attacks. The mods in IP and admin believe that line item deleting is better for the thread than deleting the whole post, as usually the deleted portion is off topic anyway, and by deleting the post would throw a monkey wrench into the thread’s smoothosity.

:slight_smile:

peace

jds

[quote=“jdsmith”]Bodo, I can only say that in IP, certain lines are flamed. Those that are are mostly personal attacks. The mods in IP and admin believe that line item deleting is better for the thread than deleting the whole post, as usually the deleted portion is off topic anyway, and by deleting the post would throw a monkey wrench into the thread’s smoothosity.

peace

jds[/quote]

So we are agreed: One set of rules for posting in IP, and one set for everywhere else.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“jdsmith”]Bodo, I can only say that in IP, certain lines are flamed. Those that are are mostly personal attacks. The mods in IP and admin believe that line item deleting is better for the thread than deleting the whole post, as usually the deleted portion is off topic anyway, and by deleting the post would throw a monkey wrench into the thread’s smoothosity.

peace

jds[/quote]

So we are agreed: One set of rules for posting in IP, and one set for everywhere else.[/quote]

No, the MOD rules for IP differ slightly, in that by removing only the flammable part, the thread is left intact.

But… Replying to the OP, not the concept IS allowed, as are personal insults. And don’t ask me to quote specific examples, cos the forum is held together by insults. :smiley:

(Lobs ball back to JDSmith)

No.

The Rules state:

[quote]In the event that these guidelines are breached, a poster may be warned, suspended or even banned, depending on the degree of offence, and the reaction of the poster to any warnings or communications received from the moderators. We recognize that the degree or even commission of a “posting offence” is often subjective. Forumosa Admin has full confidence in the moderating team and their ability to deal with breaches of these rules.

[color=red]Failure to adhere to these rules may result in offending posts being deleted[/color] or sent to the Flounder Forum, where they will expire after a period of 15 days without replies. If a moderator is sufficiently displeased with a poster, they may propose a ban to the Star Chamber (moderator banning panel). Once a ban has been proposed, the offending user will be notified by e-mail that his/her account has been suspended. After a period of 5 days, the offending poster’s account will be either reactivated, or banned permanently.[/quote]

It has long been recognized that when dealing with a post that contains as a portion thereof a violation of the Rules that the entire post may be deleted (i.e., Flamed or Temped). Some posts are nothing but a Rule violation and they are easy to deal with… off to the Flames Forum. Other posts, however, contain both substantive commentary and also a portion that transgresses the Rules. These hybrid type posts occur most frequently in the IP Forum.

The Moderator is entitled, in his/her discretion, to Flame such a post in its entirety. However, where such a post contains also substantive remarks, Flaming the entire post may insult the integrity of the thread. As such, some Moderators prefer instead to simply delete the obviously offensive Rule violating portion of a post and retain for thread continuity-saving purposes that portion which contained substantive comments.

Is every Mod on the exact same page? Of course not. Does every Mod agree completely with respect to what constitutes a Rule violation? No.
Do Mods make mistakes? Of course.

Are the Mods trying to be fair and perfect? Yes. Do they always succeed? No.

So, sue 'em.

Speak for yourself. If they sue you they get post count from you as payment.

You’re rich.

O.K. Lets play. Here are some snippets from the IP forum in the last month…

[quote]In future messages, please don

What’s wrong with that?

That’s probably a violation.

What’s wrong with that?

[color=darkred]Personal attack[/color]

That’s probably a violation.

You’re right. We don’t see eye to eye. But, that’s OK.

And I doubt you could prove your point to me, seeing as we don’t see eye to eye as to what constitutes a personal attack. Its a matter of opinion…

That’s not a completely fair characterization, IMO.

I agree. IMO, there was nothing wrong with the post by Bodo.

But, another Mod saw things differently. I’m used to that.

I don’t like double standards any more than you do. But, all we can do is try to minimize them. I think you’ve made your point. Now, what’s the point in going on about it?

Well, like I said, I think he should have been open to a cyber tarring and feathering… I’m sure he wouldn’t have minded.

However, to all those “alienated, isolated and attacked” innocent poor dears, perhaps they should reflect on their own behavior as well?

Neither, IMO. Just one Mod saw it one way one day. Maybe on a different day that Mod would have seen it differently?

Thanks for the reminder re double standards. We should all be reminded.

Tigerman, I gratefully accept your comments and note that once more you have proved yourself to be an exemplary mod, and man, who is capable of fair and balanced discussion.

Final conclusion: Posting on Forumosa can be confusing as one comment which is acceptable to one mod, or in one forum is also likely to be deleted or (possibly?) used as evidence for a banning by another mod, or in another forum. I have PM’s from mods telling me one thing, and PM’s from other mods telling me contradictory statements. Left hand, right hand situation.

I will drop this now.

[quote=“TomHill”]Tigerman, I gratefully accept your comments and note that once more you have proved yourself to be an exemplary mod, and man, who is capable of fair and balanced discussion.

Final conclusion: Posting on Forumosa can be confusing as one comment which is acceptable to one mod, or in one forum is also likely to be deleted or (possibly?) used as evidence for a banning by another mod, or in another forum. I have PM’s from mods telling me one thing, and PM’s from other mods telling me contradictory statements. Left hand, right hand situation.

I will drop this now.[/quote]

Yes, somebody please lock this thread. It’s not fun anymore. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Personally I think what the mods did was way cool. In fact if I do have a criticism is that the mods don’t go far enough. I would love to see more posts deleted more often.

And no, you are wrong j99. The fun is just beginning! Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Ooh! Good! :lick: Let me get some popcorn.

Deleted posts are ok. Whatever. Partial, hypocritical deletions are kind of disturbing though. Especially when it wasn’t a character assassination. It just really hit home about people having to announce their arrival and departure. I mean, c’mon. Ooh! “The king is dead! Long live the king!” I think I made a reference to Michael Jordan in my comment. That’s it. Then I said, “Congratulations”. Where’s the blatantly harsh name-calling in that? That’s all. I had the perfect emoticon set up, etc. I didn’t call anyone names or anything. But, whatever. It’s not the end of the world.

For what it’s worth, I think that the above discussion between Tom and Tigerman is quite interesting and a good example of a productive conversation.

I think Tom is justified to voice his opinions and I don’t think he’s going on and on about this in a useless way. He did get flamed when he left and yet he was always the nice guy who doesn’t attack people. He may not have 9000 posts but his contribution is in good spirit.

This said, I think Tigerman responded accordingly.(read in good spirit)

Forumosa has changed a lot in 2005. Rules were re-drafted and a lot of efforts have been invested in making this place friendlier. To that I raise my hat to admin and mods alike because I do notice changes and in my book they are all positive.

Tigerman makes a good point, moderation IS the same in every forum, just different with each mod. However, a mod made the call to flame some posts and the discrepancy is obvious if compared with the flames that were allowed to stay back when Tom left.

At the end of the day, if it’s favouritism, it’s shameful but I prefer to look at it as improvements and a sensitive change.

Insults and personal attacks do not have a place on Forumosa and while some offensive posts remain archived, I think the amount has decreased a lot in the last year.

Keep that in mind Tom because I think you played a role in those changes. It’s just unfortunate that you weren’t paid the respect you deserved at the time.

A year ago, you wouldn’t see a week go by without a “disappointed newbee” thread. I haven’t seen one of them in months. What does that say about Forumosa?

bobepine

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … on#198803e](Canadian Elections - #27 by Chewycorns

Nope – from June 2004. Since it was quite a substantive discussion with a poster I respect despite disagreeing with him/her on most Canadian policy issues(thebiggestnose), I think the correct decision was made in leaving the post alone.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
you seem to me to be just another Ottawa-born, Carleton educated , Liberal drone that believes everything the government tells you.[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with this. I use “seem.” In the next message, he responded to my assumptions. My own opinion is that when two people are engaged in polite or even heated debate leave the posts alone until one of the two posters “complains” or until post decorum has been obviously violated. In my opinion, this post was fine.

chewy, i made it abundantly clear when i met you, i worship at the altar of the chewycorn. i have used some (anonymous) posts to highlight the isconsistencies of the system, not the posters. Please find yourself at the highest table. It is not your fault that irreverance is now to be looked down upon.

In your corner,
Hill.

who remembers when you were a god.

[quote=“mod lang”]Personally I think what the mods did was way cool. In fact if I do have a criticism is that the mods don’t go far enough. I would love to see more posts deleted more often.

And no, you are wrong j99. The fun is just beginning! Ahhhhhhhh!!![/quote]
peking spring.

Deleted.

I know that what TeePeeBob* said to Fred was meant in jest. But did it translate well into Danish ? Did you even bother to check ? I think not, you only have your self to blame if Mr He misunderstood it, next time please make sure all your posts are funny in Danish too.

*A friendly distortion of TpeBob’s name. Or in Danish - Jeg er hvad jeg er, hurd