Delica owners Taiwan

Hey,

I am looking to get myself an Delica L300!

There are plenty of facebook groups but mainly in Mandarin. How many of you own an Delica and happy to share your experience?
Model, year, milage, automatic/manual, diesel/petrol etc. Common issues?

Loving it or about to change up?:smiley:

All the best,
/

Good thread with Delica as topic as everybody likes Delica.

2 Likes

The crash tests of Delica is not impressive. I would probably look into a VW instead.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Tango42👌

Interesting. I just have a feeling that VWs in Taiwan are very expensive comparitively.

2 Likes

The great Redwagon rated them, IIRC. Search for threads by him, though some of that stuff disappeared when they changed to the current platform.

From memory, the 4WD version is available only with the turbo diesel engine, which is a bit weak in both senses.

A petrol engine swap is supposed to be technically straightforward, but wouldn’t be technically legal in Taiwan.

I see quite a lot of VW T4 running around and if I’m told correctly VW had a production line in Taoyuan for it. Surely that can’t be expensive? I’ll guess a T1 or T2 is crazy expensive in Taiwan, but they are not comparable to the Delica anyway.

This maybe

Interesting - it is good to have alternatives.

Nice video, I have lived in a delica years ago. :grin:
I didn’t build it , we bought it off a guy who fitted it out.

I think it’s safe to say it’s probably easier to find one outside of Taipei especially when you get into small towns and farming communities.

And to support my point I present pictures from a place I stumbled on that has about 15 of them for sale in Chiayi County. I took pictures of 6 plus a Ford Pronto (rebadged Suzuki Carry) and a nice white Volkswagen.

With this many, probably cheap and price negotiable. Also probably buy at your own risk.

2 Likes

Delicas are far better than VW. I quite dislike vws as they often have parts breaking and they are comparitively expensiive to fix. The only thing I like about vw is they are more comfortable to drive and have more room inside.

The deljcas are nice cause they are commkn, cheap, everywhere and you can get more custom stuff done to them because everyone uses them.

And you can dosome off roading, mountains.etc.

Good points. Probably more convenient and cheaper to get Delica repaired even in someplace remote.

The 2-wheel drive has long wheelbase and more space inside than the 4-wheel drive. More comfortable ride. Can still go most places in Taiwan without 4 wheel drive.

Didn’t realize back sliding doors on both sides.

Doors on both sides I thought was a useless gimmick as well, until I started driving them.jn the bush. They are soooo nice to have! For seemingly unlimited reasons :slight_smile: even in the city, a welcomed convenience. Though heavier…no environmentalist would likely recommend this vehicle.

Some good points in this article about the engines

Both non turbo and turbo engine can overheat and pop gasket, crack head, etc. Has timing belt so need to watch that.

1 Like

I’m also looking to buy a Delica (long wheel base).

Any ideas of prices? I understand that many factors will impact this (mileage, year, etc.), but just a rough ballpark…

I can’t even ballpark prices but I imagine cheapish for used ones. A lot around it seems in some areas of Taiwan.

Are there any van-focused or camper-focused sales streets or shops new and/or used anywhere in Taiwan?

What makes things even more confusing on used car priced in US Dollars , at first wow cars are cheap here :joy: umm cars are extremely expensive here compared to UK.

The main drawback with a Delica is the heavy tax. Also, you will need to get a used one carefully checked out before buying it. Otherwise, i would say it’s a great choice for outside of Taipei.