Denied a work permit because of company's low salary

Hello!

I live in Taipei for almost 4 months now, and studying mandarin on NTU. I came to Taiwan to start life with my long time wonderful Taiwanese girlfriend.
I am looking for a job at my proffesion of engineering and manufacturing, after long time of search (and only 2 relevant interviews…) I was accepted to work at a local company.

The manager told me they hired foreigners before, and looking for more for their own reasons.
And so the paperwork started… everything looks OK. I have a master degree and more than 2 years work experience…

But the salary they offered was 32,000 NTD. Altough it’s painfully low I accepted since I want to start working somewhere.

My girlfriend told me that the salary must be around a minimum of 48,000 NTD for white color worker, and it’s wiered the company didn’t say anything about this.
We figured they have a way to solve that problem, since I guess not every foreigner earns so much here, and they DID say they hired foreigners before.

My work permit application was denied because of that, and I am pissed off :fume: .
The company offered me all kind of illegal ways to start work with out permits, what we call in my home country “Combinas”, but I offcourse refused.

Does anyone here experienced a similar situation?
Thanks!

Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won’t track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions…

You can go back and reapply with an adjusted contract, simple process.

I just want to add, 32k is very low, and you better ensure you get the same bonus as the locals (CNY, other holidays).

[quote=“Kea”]Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won’t track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions…
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Kea.
Me and my GF brought the idea to the company, which really makes sence, this way the company just have to pay the tax differences.

But they said they don’t want to make false reports.
The funny thing: that company don’t want to false report, but they offered me to work without permit… :loco:

And yea… really low salary…

well, you’ll get something else if need be, with more patience. Post details of what type of engineering/manufacturing you’re looking at, maybe others can help out with more tips.

Or get married! :smiley: [then you don’t need this working ARC, only a marriage ARC, and can work for 32k, or 23k if you wish!]
Good luck.

This.

[quote=“Kea”]
[ and can work for 32k, or 23k if you wish!]
Good luck.[/quote]

haha yep this will be a dream come true :discodance:

Yes, need to just keep looking …
or get married! I already knows how to Da MaJhong, so I have no problem with her family :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies!

[quote=“ferb79”][quote=“Kea”]Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won’t track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions…
[/quote]
But they said they don’t want to make false reports.
The funny thing: that company don’t want to false report, but they offered me to work without permit… :loco: [/quote]
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Most (all?) companies here have two sets of books: the ones they show the government and the real ones. When they make excuses, it’s the local way of telling you they don’t want to.

Hi,

I have a question that is somewhat related to this topic. I started working at a university / research institution in Taipei and I guess my job position would be considered as a professors assistant. They are paying me arohnd 31,000 NTD which is from my undertanding is how much a local Taiwanese makes there. When I applied for my resident visa, they didnt say anything about my salary and I even asked about the $45,000 NTD requirement for foreigners when I was applying for my resident visa and the lady said she heard about it and that I should look into it. Am I actually entitled to a 45,000 NTD salary ? If so, is there any way I can show proof that I should be paid more ?