Departing

Even the likes of me and jimipresley have sorted that shit out. 30 odd years?

1 Like

Yes but I was a different person for the first ten. Literally. I think I’m eligible next year.

1 Like

It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Taiwan already has bears. He’s considered a non-essential worker.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is you have no source.

Glad we cleared that up. : D

Guy

1 Like

Did I ever claim to?

The US border closure expires on the 21st. A broader reduction in the quarantine requirements will occur simultaneously.

There will be a serious effort to implement contact tracing as a consequence.

There is something that has also come to my mind.
If I get offered a contract to stay in Taiwan, I will need
a new work permit. However the processing time of
that work permit is a problem. Before I came
here last September, it took 7 weeks for my work permit
to be processed because from what I’ve learned, the work
permits for foreign teachers are now issued by the Ministry
of Education rather than the Ministry of Labor.
My ARC expires on July 31st. If I get a contract offered to me
by July 2nd and I have to get a new work permit and wait 7 to 8
weeks for it, it will be too late.

Go right now to apply for a 6 month “looking for work” ARC. That’s what I’ve been doing every year, as FET contracts always expire in mid July and don’t start until mid August, thus breaking up any chance of getting consistent years to get an APRC. When you sign your new contract at your new job, you go in again to change the reason for your ARC from “looking for work” to whatever your new job title is. It’s an extra NT1,000 each time you do that, but it’s not like you’re going to be traveling anywhere for a visa run any time soon

3 Likes

If NT$1000 can solve a problem like this, it’s money well spent.

Guy

2 Likes

Right.
But the only problem is this.
If I am on an ARC for looking for work and I am here for
3 months unemployed, how will I be able to afford to eat?
I am not eligible for any unemployment insurance here
in Taiwan.

Innovative excuse, usually they will do the" Not the right accent" excuse. There are unfortunately quite a few schools that discriminate from gender to race to age to even how good looking a person is. Generally in many cases it boils down to “Do the Taiwanese teaching staff like you”. They are after all the ones who communicate with the parents and boss. Sometimes the bosses haven’t a clue what is going on in their schools.
I don’t teach now but I ran a school here for about 2 years until the boss got arrested for some dirty financial transactions unrelated to the school。 Try and do your best to stay as you love it here . I cannot recommend any particular schools except maybe try the ones that have been here over 20 years or so. It really sucks for the kids in Taiwan that there is not more development of teachers who would stay here for the long term rather than the continual turn over of 1 year back packer teachers.
:+1:t2:

4 Likes

Right. You probably need to just leave. Taiwan obviously isn’t working out for you, or English teaching isn’t. No shame in that. I was the worst English teacher in the history of teaching. Don’t waste time heading down dead end streets.

3 Likes

You seem to be the type of person who wants to rub off your negativity onto others because of your failures right?

You’ve been unable to keep a job, and even with the job you had you couldn’t even manage to save enough for three months of cheap Taiwan living. He’s right that Taiwan doesn’t seem to be a good fit for you.

3 Likes

Savings, credit card, loan, dumpster dive (probably a bad option in Taiwan), ask someone you know or work?

3 Likes

:no_no:

First of all you don’t know me.
Second, I have been saving as much money as I could.
But I am not going to live cheap by destroying my health
by eating low-quality street food.

Well, we can see you don’t know the_bear, who is famously decent and self-effacing.

If you’re nice to people here, they will be more likely to be sympathetic to you.

Peace to all,
Guy

3 Likes

It’s not enough to say that people would be more sympathetic to me if I am nice to them. If someone says something that sets off a negative tone, it will go right back to the person.
I just don’t want any discouragement right now, I have to stay positive no matter what will happen.

Realistically, if you want to make a go of teaching in Taiwan now is a really good time to do it. Supply of teachers is limited, while demand is about the same.

3 Likes