Deportation of Illegal Teachers

Are the police / MOFA out to get teachers working on student visas? THe China Post had an article about it yesterday. Talking to a few colleuges, they know a couple who are being deported. Is this gonna be a wake up call for illeagal teachers or a flash in the pan?

There is no such thing as a “student” Visa in Taiwan.

often seems to pick up before chinese new year

If not, please enlighten us to what kind of visa a student would have.

If not, please enlighten us to what kind of visa a student would have.[/quote]A visitor’s visa for the purpose of study, I believe.

Someone please correct the major typo in this thread’s title. There is no such word in English as “illeagal”. God knows there are enough ‘english teachers’ in Taiwan who don’t know how to write or spell correctly, no need to add more fuel to the fire.

Sorry Miss Mod Lang. We dont all have spel checkers or time to wast cheking the speling of posts on a mesage bord. But, thanxs anywayz.
ps. who is adding fuel to the fire now.

Maybe you should SKI on down to tealit. Its a green run!

:laughing:

Anyways I’ve been banned an Tea Lit.
PS Who cares…
Can we get back to the original post. Ilegal Teachers being deported.

Dear Ski,

This is an old thing. About every year around Chinese New Year and just before major elections, the FAP decideds to crack down on foreigners to show that they do something and that law enforcement should not be an issue during the election. I think the sun would fall out of the sky before a politician dared say that he’d make the police accountable to the public. This is one of the big things that led to me seeing the light and becoming legal again. If I were you, I would know where all the escape exits are and try to get myself legal.

CYA
Okami

thanks,
It’s not for me. One of my teachers is facing the ever so soon trouble a visa run. Does any one know if Bangkok is craking down on the students?

If there are any teachers who work at Gloria and know more about this than I do, please correct any mistakes that I’ve made!

I heard that 5 teachers were deported last month from a Gloria School branch here in Taoyuan.

Apparantly, they had ARCs but the address on the card didn’t match up with the school they were “caught” teaching at when the FAP came for a check.

Gloria makes its teachers teach at several branches. None of their teachers only works at one branch. All the teachers I know that work for them work in Jung Li and Taoyuan (or a combination of 2 other branches).

Kinda shitty beacause the teachers who go deported didnt even realize they were doing something wrong. The address is in Chinese!

When we get our ARCs nothing is explained to us! We dont know if its the right school on the card. No one tells us that WE HAVE TO sign up for the Health Plan. I found out that it was REQUIRED after I had already been working for a school for 8 months!

Maybe someone should print out a brochure for foreigners and GIVE IT TO US when we get our ARCs so we know what is required and if we are doing something illegal.

Not everyone knows about this FABULOUS site aka Forumosa!
:notworthy:

Ski

Please have your friend read up and learn how to play the “game.” He needs to look good, and be able to speak some Chinese. There’s no reason to be here for a year + (I’m not saying he is, but if he’s studying mandarin look the part)and not be able to get by in the most basic Mandarin. He needs to know how to properly say hello to Chinese people and it is not “Ni hao.” I would advise not getting involved, as some illegals can be more trouble then they are worth.

CYA
Okami “Famous EX-illegal”

Even without being able to read Chinese, you should make sure the squiggles on your ARC and Work Permit match those on your contract and Heath Insurance Card. Each should show the same characters before duanqi buxiban (短期補習班) in Chinese. For example, 狗屁美語補習班。

Just curious, Okami. If I remember correctly, you used to espouse the virtues of working…ahem, independently, shall we say. (And apologies if I have that wrong.)

Now, you’ve gone and got all legal on us?

Please tell us more, or at least as much as you can, about your new “ex-illegal” status.

When I worked at Hess in Taipei many years ago, teachers’ schedules would often be split between two, sometimes three branches. Each branch of Hess has (or used to have) a slightly different official name, at least on paper. This may be for tax reasons or it could be a legal requirement, as I did read somewhere that bushibans are not alloewd to have more than one branch, hence the need for a different name for each branch. Anyway, there were a few instances when the police ‘caught’ teachers whose ARCs did not have the correct school name (branch name).
As always, nothing came of it. Hess is amazingly effective at making little problems like that simply go away.
Therefore, if you are ever asked to teach at a different branch of a school, even a big ‘brand name’ school like Hess, Joy, Gram, you need to be aware that you might technically be teaching illegally if the official name of that branch (not necessarily the name that appears on the sign outside, mind you) is different from the one on your ARC.

[quote=“Spack”]
Therefore, if you are ever asked to teach at a different branch of a school, even a big ‘brand name’ school like Hess, Joy, Gram, you need to be aware that you might technically be teaching illegally if the official name of that branch (not necessarily the name that appears on the sign outside, mind you) is different from the one on your ARC.[/quote]

correct me here if I am wrong… but are you not illegally teaching if the school you are teaching in does not match the address on your WORK PERMIT?
the address on your ARC is your residence address in Taiwan? well it is on mine but I do not teach so maybe there is someother regulation thought up of between the police and the Ministry of Education

Work Permit? No such thing…as far as I know. I have a RESIDENT VISA and an ARC.

They’ve all got to match. The address of the employer is not on the ARC, but the name is. The address is of course your own residential address.

I’ve only ever taught legally in Taipei County and always had to get a Work Permit from Taipei County Govt, which the FAP keep.

to my understanding

a work permit allows you ( probably not the best word here) to be employed in a certain company or school in Taiwan
Since you need to physically be here to work, the authoroties grant residence ( in the form of a residence visa) for the duration that you are employed here ( stated on your work permit)

an ARC is not a work permit, but is identifaction that states that you are allowed to reside (assume residence) in Taiwan for a period of time based on your work permit ( on your ARC the company or school that gives you the work permit is given)

Of course if you are married to a Taiwanese else have permanent residency you do not need a work permit to get an ARC,I guess in theory you have a different purpose being in Taiwan ( but you do need to do loads of paperwork to get this and its loads of hassle). If you a student studying here again you do not need a work permit to get an ARC, since your purpose in Taiwan is to study