Design me a logo

Thanks for the tip on the font. The two thousand is for the winner and of course you have to beat my own submission and I’m the judge and I’m not known for my integrity. Then there is dragonbones and anubis. But I’m happy to say I’m so far you are high up in the running.

Glad to hear i’m on the higher end of the scale! But I’m still unclear about a few thing. Do you want your logo to be playful? are you going for the cute or cool image? Explain your intention better!!

Definitely street cool, but environmental.

That is not altogether easy.

how about a runner-up prize for some kick-ass advice. lol.

Unfortunately, Jack, in the world of logo design style is ahead of substance.

How about some Dragonbone Tea?

or maybe?

These are for a kids venture education company. Which do you prefer?

[quote=“Fox”]These are for a kids venture education company. Which do you prefer?

[/quote]

Fox! they’re fugly!

I looked up fugly and found it was a web site for ugly people who’d inadvertently or otherwise posted their photo’s on the web.

answers.com/topic/fugly

Probably comes from Fucking Ugly–fugly.

[quote=“Fox”]These are for a kids venture education company. Which do you prefer?[/quote] Should probably decide on the company name before worrying about the logo… What is “venture education” exactly? Sounds interesting.

Following that small detail:

• a logo should be easily printable in color or B&W, and at a range of sizes.
    – Use 2 colors at most & make sure they work well together - its cheaper & doesn’t look so amateurish.
    – Check out kuler.adobe.com for a free color palette coordination tool.

• Drop shadows & other text effects won’t print well at small sizes & distract from the name. You don’t need them.

• Type should be legible and project the proper image.
    – “KABOOM” isn’t a round, bubbly word, but the typeface is.

• Typefaces should compliment/support one another not compete with each other.
    – serif “Get Ahead” font clashes w/“Genki” Asian-style text.
    – fancy typefaces are hard to read at a smaller size, and distract from the name when used in tagline. Taglines should be subordinate, not competing for attention.

• All elements should be vector graphics for easy scaling, as opposed to pixel-based raster graphics which look worse when scaled up.

• These lack balance. The elements seem thrown together & go in competing directions. Offsetting tagline text may have been a deliberate attempt to add “energy” to the logo, but the result is they’re unbalanced & take up more space than necessary.

Your first example has some good elements - 2 colors easily modified for B&W, a simple graphic element w/interesting modification, and simple legible type. The big white space is distracting though, so I’d play with the arrangement of the elements.

My vote would be for “Spark” since the name & tagline actually mean something & hint at the company’s purpose. Use only 2 colors & get rid of “fire” (why fire your imagination? was it doing a bad job?). “YOUR” and “IMAGINATION” then fit directly underneath. Play with size, capitalization, tracking, etc so the elements line up properly & legibly. Center the spark graphic between “S” and “k” or better, integrate it with the letter shapes themselves. I might play around w/it later to come up w/an example of what I mean.

For some simple tips & helpful step-by-step, check out “Before & After Magazine”. One of their most recent articles offers a great step-by-step approach to logo design from start to finish. There’s also a short lynda.com video series called “Designing a Logo - Hands On Workshop” that offers some great design & work flow tips for developing initial ideas into a finished product.

Whatever happened w/the bike company?

Thanks for all the effort there.

The bike idea is still going, it’ll be part of the Ted conferences this year to help raise more money.

The kids company is a money education project for children.

Trying to take on board your comments. I don’t like the colors so much.

I think you should just scrounge up 20,000 to 40,000 NT and hire a proper logo designer…it would save you a lot of time and you’d get a much better result. If your budget is limited (15-20k NT), you might try crowdspring.com. If you’re trying to make a business of your bikes, you’ve gotta take it seriously!

I have to agree. There are loads of talented designers out there but they’re unlikely to want to enter put in too much effort for a chance at NT$2000. People these days are often under the impression that good logos can be thrown together quickly with the right software and clip-art. I think this thread reinforces that that’s not really the case :slight_smile: and that creating good logos usually takes a lot of time, thought and skill.
I’d recommend finding (with Google or whatever) a logo designer whose style and designs you like and email them with your own logo likes/dislikes, budget and as much info as possible about you and your company.
Good luck, Steve

Thanks for the info. Steve. Mostly, I’m just learning by playing.