Dim Sum Cart Restaurants

I haven’t been able to find a dim sum restaurant with the hand-pushed carts since the last two I knew of shut down some years back. Is there still one open anywhere in Taipei?

1 Like

https://g.co/kgs/kMsTHM

In Ximending. Food is pretty decent.

2 Likes

Cantonese restaurant at the Brother Hotel 2F

3 Likes

I know what I like but don’t know the Chinese names. I need a picture bingo card system.

Good to know info here. What are the prices like?

Plum Blossom Room

http://www.brotherhotel.com.tw/en/gourmet3.php

Dim sum cart available at regular meal hours (lunch/dinner).

3 Likes

I remember eating at Yang Shin Vegetarian Dim Sum but I do not recall if there were carts. I do remember that the fact it was vegetarian did not matter - my friends and I (happy carnivores all) thoroughly enjoyed ourselves

2 Likes

I’ve been to that one. I like it also

I don’t like any of those named so far.

Dim sum generally sucks in Taiwan, cart or no cart.

1 Like

I’m with tango on this one.

Hong Kong is so close, yet also so far.

Guy

1 Like

its out of bounds now, if you are any type of foreigner or taiwanese you could be at risk.

HK is in bad shape right now, no doubt about it.

But I was simply stating that the dim sum in Taipei has been subpar for basically as long as I’ve been here. Lots of joints serving product made in a factory somewhere, just heated up on site.

It’s very labour intensive to do it right, so I get the difficulty. But knowing this point doesn’t make the food served any better.

Guy

Yes this place is awesome

1 Like

Citystar

I’m disappointed with this Hong Kong style chain in Taiwan. The food flavors barely resemble Hong Kong taste, the chili and mustard are just bland. All the food flavors are dumbed down for Taiwan taste palette.

I tried their Dunhua branch a few weeks back. It smacks a little of a cha chaan teng theme restaurant with the wallpaper pictures and booths. Salted fish fried rice was reasonably authentic. Quite expensive for quite small servings. And let’s face it, a lot of the ingredients for these HK tea house type places come out of a can. I guess you are paying for the HK themed experience? The wait staff just kind of mope about near the pass looking bored waiting for orders, staring at foreigners, or perhaps all diners, to pass their time.

Why does the HK food in Taipei—generally speaking—suck so much?

It’s labour intensive, requires real skill and coordination. Why go through all that trouble when you could have some factory in Linkou produce your “dim sum” en masse, ship it by truck, then you just heat it up?

The story with sushi in this town is all-too-often similar, except for the “heat up” part at the end.

It all tastes like eating 7-11 food, which is at least more honest about its identity.

Crankily yours,
afterspivak

Is anything better than the Brother Hotel these days?

That would be in the bottom quartile (quality wise) in Vancouver.

Lousy tea (at least in my experience) didn’t help.

Guy

I know, but here? In other words, what passes for acceptable or perhaps is even better these days?

I too anxiously await an answer to this question. :grin:

Guy