Din Tai Fung Breach of Labour Law in Australia

Din Tai Fung fined $4 millionAUD for deliberate underpayment of employees.

Guess they thought Australia would be like Taiwan and not actively enforce labour laws.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

‘$4 million penalties, second-highest ever secured, against former Taiwanese restaurant operators for “a calculated scheme to rob employees”’ - Fairwork Australia

“It goes without saying that the respondents’ conduct was extremely serious. This was not merely deliberate wrongdoing. It was deceitful and unscrupulous. It involved a calculated scheme to rob employees of their hard-earned wages and deceive the authorities,” Justice Katzmann said.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/newsroom/media-releases/2024-media-releases/april-2024/20240410-dtf-world-square-penalty-media-release

8 Likes

In a time Australia is already pro China enough, maybe Taiwan government should fine them too on national security interests :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Who told you that nonsense :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You misquoted me. Bold. Also didn’t note the extreme facetious-ness. Italics.

But in all seriousness, most countries are pro China ENOUGH. In terms of lack of support for Taiwan. Turning blond eye to places like Tibet. Continual investment in their actual enemy. And their overall hypocrisy of using China for cheap and despicable labor/environment practices. Ya, most people are pro China enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

How is it a misquote, it’s right there?

And Australia isn’t pro-China

They are more pro China than they need to be, and arguably more than they should be. See edit above :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reading the linked article from the FWO suggests that the DTF name has been licensed to some companies, which have since been wound up, and at 4 DTF restaurants in Sydney those companies ripped off workers.

There was a much bigger scandal in regard to 7-Eleven in Australia a few years back along similar lines.

1 Like

Also 85c cafe chain as well. Claimed that being from Taiwan could pay Taiwan hourly rates lol

5 Likes

Noice one

1 Like

If it’s deliberate they should be in prison for committing fraud.

Why is it that when you commit fraud against everyone else, the FBI (or equivalent) arrests you and you go to prison for decades, but when you commit fraud against your own employees you only get slapped in the wrist with a fine?

3 Likes

I 100% agree.

Employees stealing from employers - Prison
Employers stealing from employees- fine and carry on with your life

Australian workplace law and wages are much more complicated than most countries so I could understand a mix up here and there. But falsifying records is next level

4 Likes

I bet the clowns at TaiwanPlus news will be quiet about this lol

4 Likes

I mean, it happened in Australia.

A few years ago a Taiwanese immigrant to Australia was ripping off all his Taiwanese countrymen on working holiday visas that he employed.

Australian news - ‘A Taiwanese born Australian has been found to be under paying his employees, most of them Taiwanese working holiday visa holders’

Taiwanese news - ‘An Australian business has been found to be underpaying employees. Most of them Taiwanese working holiday visas’

Both are true, very different impression though

Same as the Cambodia thing a few years ago. Taiwanese news really downplayed that all the scam artists were Taiwanese and focused on the fact it happened in Cambodia

6 Likes

Here, nice headline

Some Taiwan news, bit old

1 Like

Yes but it was a Taiwanese chain

This is simply not true. The fact that many of the scam criminals in Cambodia are not only Taiwanese, but also violent has been widely reported in the Chinese-language Taiwanese print and electronic media.

Here’s a case where two such fraudsters were sentenced to life in prison (these crimes committed in Taiwan).

This guy was sentenced to 18 years in prison for deceiving 88 Taiwanese into going to Cambodia to engage in fraud scams.

Here’s another case. Seven years for the same thing.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a Taiwan chain but typically the Taiwanese company licenses a local company to actually operate the restaurants. On the face of it, it is not at all clear that the operators were Taiwanese or even Taiwanese-Australians. They could be. We don’t know.

The link in the first post shows that Australia has a lot of powerful tools to deal with cases like this. Taiwan could learn a lot. As has been noted, it may all be nothing since these companies went into liquidation.

I doubt the Taiwanese licensor can be held liable for failing to supervise their franchisees. They should police them just to protect their valuable brand. But this kind of problem is common.

3 Likes

Their surnames didn’t seem Taiwanese to me.

The hippies may be a bit extreme. But their basic principle of corporations fitting away with murder is hard to argue against.

It’s basically one of the perks of opening a company (perks for the company, not the customer). That the entity is responsible. Rarely is the human.

I think if we started giving years of life [in prison] rather than millions of printed money in fines, far less unethical bullshit would happen. Also less fraud and crime. I put crime and ethics as two different points, because…so does the government and most business entities. When the government commits unethical acts, it gets cluster fuckered right quick…despite them trying to pawn it off to 3rd party sub contracts or whatever retarded justification.

1 Like