Diplomacy (looking for players)

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]There’s some java maps on that site you linket to MK. They let you move pieces around the map. Are you tecchy enough to figure out a way to take a snapshot of the Java Map and load it onto a website?

Brian[/quote]
Yeah, that wouldn’t be a problem. That’s all sorted out then. I’ll check it out. I figured there must have been something like that already.

I meant to comment on this before. Thanks :slight_smile:. I’ve been playing games as far back as I can remember. I’m a game fanatic.

Sure, I will be happy to GM a PBM game. You folks get familar with the rules and such and tell me when you are ready to go.

Here’s a start:

1.) North American adjustments.

2.) Countries will be randomly assigned.

3.) Cheating and lying are actively encouraged.

4.) Moves are due every Thursday morning at 9am.

5.) “Draw” proposals can only pass by a unanimous vote.

6.) Press will be “black” :smiling_imp: This means that the nasty, spiteful, insulting comments that are posted along with the results can be written by anybody using any countries title.

For example: (I am Russia and I write)

Eng-Ger: Stare into my headlights little bunny.
Ita-Tur: Judging from your Spring moves, you continue to play this game with your lips on the hooka and your thumb up your ass.
Aus-Ita, Rus: See you in Ankara?
Rus-Tur: Steamroller?

Let me know the players and I will assign countries.

You got it. We could set up the board and play a couple of sample rounds.

I guess we’ll be at Chit Chat again? Same time or earlier? People mostly show up at around 4 PM. How about meeting a couple of hours earlier? 2?

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
Let me know the players and I will assign countries.[/quote]

I am ready to go!

Hey, Tempo, bring your game, too. We’ll have extra pieces just in case. It sucks if one power has to use two colors (if we actually play to that point…).

Sunday is qt for me… usually hard to break away…

2-ish works for me. Well, assuming I can drag my arse out of bed that early :laughing:

We had a good 1/16th (maybe?) of game of diplomacy today. I think we’re all familiar enough with the rules. Now we just need to find out exactly who’s in and out of this online version. As it stands I think we have the following.

Me
Bu Lai En
Tetsuo
Sinister T
Chairman Roberto
Tempo Gain
and DB (if he wants to play)

That would be seven unless someone doesn’t want in or if DB just wants to GM.

Then we just need to figure out how it’s all going to go down and when it will start.

Let me know via PM or posting if you’re in.

[quote=“miltownkid”]
Let me know via PM or posting if you’re in.[/quote]

count me in!

I’m definitely in. Also got one more potential player, who’ll be posting to confirm soonish.

Looks like I’ve stumbled across this a little late, but I’d be interested in following what’s going on all the same.

Are you guys going to keep posting about this here? I can’t get to the club next week, and the week after would be difficult too, but it sounds like something I want to know more about.

Thanks

I think the tentative plan is for the map to be hosted on MK’s site, and have a thread running in Fun & Games for public chat and possibly announcements of moves and results…

[quote=“miltownkid”]We had a good 1/16th (maybe?) of game of diplomacy today. I think we’re all familiar enough with the rules. Now we just need to find out exactly who’s in and out of this online version. As it stands I think we have the following.

Me
Bu Lai En
Tetsuo
Sinister T
Chairman Roberto
Tempo Gain
and DB (if he wants to play)

That would be seven unless someone doesn’t want in or if DB just wants to GM.

Then we just need to figure out how it’s all going to go down and when it will start.

Let me know via PM or posting if you’re in.[/quote]

If you have seven, then I will be happy just to GM. Let me know the when you are ready to start and I can assign countries.

All of those ont he list said they were in yesterday, except Tempo who has just jumped in.

Stragbasher for a seventh and DB Gming? (We just thought it might be dull for you to merely GM, not participate DB, but if you enjoy that, it’s cool).

What we were hoping for is moves once a week. A thread on Fun and Games for discussion and announcement of results. PMs for backstabbing, I mean diploming. When DB posts the results, MK figures how to put that on a map, and sticks the updated map on his site (then DB should check it to make sure it’s right).

Brian

Miltown Kid
Bu Lai En
Tetsuo
Sinister T
Chairman Roberto
Tempo Gain

If Stragbasher confirms that he is in, then he is the seventh. I don’t mind just GMing. A soon as I get confirmation from SB one way or the other, I will assign countries.

A friendly word of warning about your potential new member “Strag-kiss me Hardy-Basher”.
I’m not sure how Diplomacy is played, but anyway, here goes.

It’s probably best to make sure he gets a landlocked country. Basher has an insatiable desire for acquiring boats. Acting as a country, he would want to build up a massive fleet and attack neighbouring countries. Should you be his ally make sure he does not bankrupt you with purchases of ships, rum, breadfruit, and cabin boys called Roger.

If it’s by mail then I’d love to be in. I don’t have the faintest idea what I’m doing, but that’s never stopped me before.

I guess I should hook up with someone to learn the rules!! Will play alone, or with a partner. (King and Prime Minister? Brown and Blair?)

Can I be Bismarck? Or Palmerston!! Or Lola Montez?!?!

Thanks for the invite, and don’t take any notice of that yeti.

This is gonna be so cool.

This is what the map will look like

Everyone needs to check this page out.
realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

They even have a version for palm (which I will be installing shortly)

They have the windows and Mac version of the program I used to make the picture (it’s saves it as a big ass BMP, I converted it to a Jpeg). There’s also a system to input moves so it wouldn’t all have to be done manually if we all learned the format (I didn’t fully read about it yet, I’ll figure it all out tomorrow).

What I plan on doing is making another website (maybe diplomacy.miltownkids.com or something) where the moves and map would get posted. I’d also keep a history of all the previous moves. Now that I think about it, maybe I’ll just make a blog we can use just for posting moves and maps (and that Black Press thing which I didn’t understand to well).

Well whatever, we’ll figure something out. I wouldn’t mind just posting all the maps in a thread, except that would give me unwanted extra traffic to my site for all the people that just looked in here (which probably wouldn’t be a lot, we could try and see)

enough rambling :slight_smile:

I downloaded the Realpolitik. It’s awesome!

Can’t we post the map on one of those free websites? Then put a link to it in a Diplomacy thread here in Forumosa? Spymac offers free blogs…

I’d prefer to keep as much as possible here on Forumosa, so I can do my diplomatizing, then check out the Learning Chinese section and check out some other threads with some sinister tea and cake…