Discrimination at DMV?

Hello…As some of you may have read, I’m in the process of buying a Toyota Tundra. For those of you not aware of the model, it’s a very large, v8 engined double cab pickup with a million cupholders and America excess written all over it.

This thing has basically been sitting at a very good friends house since new, and I mean sit. At six years of age, the truck has a paltry 18k on the clock. It’s huge, impractical, and I love it.

I made arrangements for the purchase, had the vehicle appraised and financed. As it is a truck, and registered as such, two guarantors that live in my neighborhood have to state that I won’t carry passengers. Ok, took care of that.

I drove the truck down to the DMV, called my buddy Redwagon with the sunroof open, the stereo blaring, all that was missing was a cowboy hat, some quads in the back and a beer. Seventh heaven.

I took 4 parking spaces, and walked into the DMV to begin the title transfer…Anything and everything I could think of I had in triplicate. I renewed my license with my PARC, happy to not that I now get six years like a citizen. I pulled my tab and within 3 minutes my number (237) was called. I laid down my mountain of documenation, chops, receipts, money, secure in the knowledge that I was less than 2 minutes away from owning an amazing chunk of machinery.

“There is a problem” the laconic lady behind the counter said to me “Ok, what is it?” Certain I had forgotten to stamp something, or my Chinese signature was illegible I wasn’t worried.

She then dropped the bomb…“Oh you don’t have a Taiwan ID”? “Sorry, you can’t own a truck”

I was stunned…I have bikes, cars, loans, credit cards all in my own name…I also have a PARC. “What is this nonesense”? “I can buy a house, a car, a boat, but I can’t buy a truck”? “Look lady, I’m a permanent resident ok”, I’ve been here for 24years, and I have all kinds of things in my name" I’m allowed to work where I want, live where I want, and most importantly BUY what I want, the same as any Taiwanese citizen" “Let me speak to your supervisor please”

They took me upstairs to the Supervisors office, where they repeated the same archaic rule. I asked him what the purpose of the rule might actually be. “To protect Taiwan workers” he said.

We went round and round, to no avail…And my dream truck is slipping slowly through my fingers. I was so pissed that when I returned the truck to it’s current owner I had to have a drink.

I’ve never heard of such a thing…If they asked for a special license I could understand, but for what possible reason would they bar me from buying a lousy pickup?

The last words to come out of his mouth before I left were these " I know you are upset, copy your information and we’ll try and push it through" “We’ll get back to you in a few weeks”… :doh:

I know I’ve run into some kind of archaic dogma brick wall here, a rule, that because of it’s limited application, few foreigners would run afoul.

I ask you this fellow forumosan’s…Have any of you successfully circumnavigated this hurdle? And please don’t tell me to simply register in my wife’s name. It’s a cop out, and I’ve already arranged financing in my own name.

I want the DMV to recognize my right as a PARC holder to share the same buying rights as anyone else.

Help? :s

But you ARE a Taiwan worker!

Sheesh, what a nightmare. Good luck on this, and let us know how things unfold…

You need to join a “worker’s Union”.

For a small fee you can become part of a group of individuals who will split the costs of a “business license”. Under this license you can be owner or “entitled driver” of the truck. If you ask at some commercial truck sales place and assuming they have a friendly person on site to assist, they should give you details of a local group you can apply to. I have not had to apply for such a thing so far, but I am informed by reliable sources that this is a common and trusted way to circumvent the bureaucracy.

Its not technically anything about you being a foreigner. Locals have the same issue if they don’t hold a business license.
You have a flatbed. Its as simple as that. Flatbeds all require individuals with business licenses before applications can succesfully go through.

at which DMV did you get such a reply?? In Taipei I get this kind of crap from the one at Bade Road, so i just hop over to the one in Banchiao and no problems…

on an another note i will say that even after getting the PARC things are not as rosy as we assume them to be…

[quote=“sulavaca”]You need to join a “worker’s Union”.

For a small fee you can become part of a group of individuals who will split the costs of a “business license”. Under this license you can be owner or “entitled driver” of the truck. If you ask at some commercial truck sales place and assuming they have a friendly person on site to assist, they should give you details of a local group you can apply to. I have not had to apply for such a thing so far, but I am informed by reliable sources that this is a common and trusted way to circumvent the bureaucracy.

Its not technically anything about you being a foreigner. Locals have the same issue if they don’t hold a business license.
You have a flatbed. Its as simple as that. Flatbeds all require individuals with business licenses before applications can succesfully go through.[/quote]

so sulavaca so it can be done if i have a company registered in my name and register the truck in my company’s name ( or my name )…just curious

[quote=“speed_maniac”][quote=“sulavaca”]You need to join a “worker’s Union”.

You have a flatbed. Its as simple as that. Flatbeds all require individuals with business licenses before applications can succesfully go through.[/quote]

so sulavaca so it can be done if I have a company registered in my name and register the truck in my company’s name ( or my name )…just curious[/quote]

I’m not certain and would have to check with the M.V.O. (Motor Vehicle’s Office). Your business license should theoretically at least allow you to register a truck. I’m not certain that all license types and allowances would include “flat beds” however.

This is something I have been meaning to clarify further as it is a question which comes up from time to time. I will try to get more specifics on present rules. If I don’t report back soon on this, then someone please give me a poke. I have been drinking tonight and may forget. I do mean to get it done though.

thanks…btw u are very close to my office…

You mean like this monster?!? I hope you can get through this stupid old law. I mean, preventing you from buying this truck protects Taiwan workers, how? Are you going into the delivery service with this truck? I think not! As Speed Maniac mentioned, having an APRC doesn’t cure all of Taiwan’s ills. :doh:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]You mean like this monster?!? I hope you can get through this stupid old law. I mean, preventing you from buying this truck protects Taiwan workers, how? Are you going into the delivery service with this truck? I think not! As Speed Maniac mentioned, having an APRC doesn’t cure all of Taiwan’s ills. :doh:

[/quote]

It protects the general citizenry, the average “blue truck” owner may suffer an uncontrollable fit of rage and jealousy on seeing a foreigner behind the wheel of such a machine, and consequently plow his vehicle into a crowd of innocent pedestrians.

Can’t one file an “administrative appeal” in such situations?

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]You mean like this monster?!? I hope you can get through this stupid old law. I mean, preventing you from buying this truck protects Taiwan workers, how? Are you going into the delivery service with this truck? I think not! As Speed Maniac mentioned, having an APRC doesn’t cure all of Taiwan’s ills. :doh:

[/quote]

slightly older, but probably even bigger…this one has a double cab.

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with protecting “workers”. If any protectionist measures do exist then they are only in favor of the “economy”. They will be to try to prevent moneys from travelling into certain pockets.
If the laws were in fact people friendly, then there wouldn’t be any restrictions what so ever.

I’m curious. A lot of laws here are reactionary in nature, and a lot of licensing laws as applied to foreigners seem to be driven by the idea of reciprocity. Does the USA prevent green-card holders from operating commercial vehicles?

I think Sulavaca is onto something with the business angle, but I don’t know if that will solve the problem of having a non-citizen’s name on the rego.

[quote=“redwagon”]I’m curious. A lot of laws here are reactionary in nature, and a lot of licensing laws as applied to foreigners seem to be driven by the idea of reciprocity. Does the USA prevent green-card holders from operating commercial vehicles?

I think Sulavaca is onto something with the business angle, but I don’t know if that will solve the problem of having a non-citizen’s name on the rego.[/quote]

Well hopefully this will be cleared up shortly.

I’ll ask Jeremy of Bikefarm how he did it. he has a large new shiny truck for commercial use.

I’m pretty sure Jeremy has a business license.

Well, I think you have 2 options:

1. A company license, or the one of a friend.

2. Your other half.

[quote=“redwagon”]I’m curious. A lot of laws here are reactionary in nature, and a lot of licensing laws as applied to foreigners seem to be driven by the idea of reciprocity. Does the USA prevent green-card holders from operating commercial vehicles?
[/quote]

No, they don’t. As long as you have the proper licensing to operate said vehicle, there is no issue. Note they never bothered to mention any special commercial drivers license. At leas that I could have understood.

I’m willing to be that I am the first to try this. I left the DMV yesterday, with everyone scratching their heads. I am a stubborn prick, and I want the truck that I’m going to pay for to be under my own name. I’ve already invested years of my life boosting other peoples credit ratings, while I have to beg for the smallest of limits for myself.

RW -
For the U.S.A. No.

Commercial operators plates require presenting a valid business license with its accompanying Tax #. Thats it.

No restrictions on purchase what so ever.

For legal operation on the roads it is required that the operator have a valid drivers license - but this is deemed optional by a great number of aliens - both legal and illegal.

Proof of “citizenship” status?..No Way Jose’

What a load of crap. The Tundra is a big pick-up truck but it’s pretty much the same as older generation SUVs minus the full rear cab. There’s always some idiot at the DMV who gets pleasure out of pulling out random laws to bust people’s balls. Especially to foreigners who purchase nice things. When I purchased Redwagon’s Impreza a few years back, I went to the DMV with his wife to do the title transfer. Redwagon was in China at the time and couldn’t be present to sign the transfer documents (which were in his name) and the lady at the DMV had clearly said that it was impossible to proceed without Redwagon’s signature on a bunch of documents…“Except!” the lady said, “get a name chop done with the owners name on it and that will do. Here’s a number to a chop maker. Give them a call and tell them what you need and your chop will be here in 10 minutes”…Ditto.

In this case, you may have several options to solve this. Do you have a Taiwanese friend who works for a car dealership? (someone that does title transfers at the DMV regularly)…ask this person to go in and do the transfer for you (try a different office) and I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked.

Otherwise, you’ll have to look into the business license and other options in posts above…

PM sent.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]You mean like this monster?!? I hope you can get through this stupid old law. I mean, preventing you from buying this truck protects Taiwan workers, how? Are you going into the delivery service with this truck? I think not! As Speed Maniac mentioned, having an APRC doesn’t cure all of Taiwan’s ills. :doh:

[/quote][/quote]

Just make sure to buy new floor mats… :smiley: