Discriminatory job advertisement on forumosa

MOFA makes it clear on its website which countries have English as a national language, and employment laws are clear that having entered Taiwan with a passport from such a country is one step for eligibility to teach English in a cram school.

This doesn’t mention Ireland. Inaccurate.

No in fact–they’re saying that no such “six nations” limit exists–probably the question specifically referred to this as a typical example. They’re not excluding Ireland in any way

I asked if it is ok to limit nationalities of applicants to certain countries among all the countries that English is their official language. In the ad I put as an example with such a restriction, they limited the acceptable nationalities to the mentioned 6 countries.

It’s wrong though.

I think they are trying to attract accents that will be understood …like RP English …not American. Australian. South African etc .:rofl: Did I miss anyone? :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry, I’m having trouble understanding your English. Could you please rephrase that?

2 Likes

You’re missing the point.

Explain :grin:

This is with the knowledge that a lot of Taiwanese wrongly perceive that Ireland is part of the UK.

They were asked essentially “can you limit hiring to a list of six nations”, to which they answered, no. That Ireland did not happen to be included in the six nations has no particular relevance.

Well, not quite “no”, but actually “contact the right people if you see something like that and they’ll check it.” Though they did say no such limit exists

OK, I didn’t read all the Chinese, thanks for explaining.

1 Like

Extra point if he can do it in Irish

2 Likes

Ouch…haha

What the government needs to do is just make English one of Taiwan’s official languages. Then it wouldn’t be necessary to hire any of those troublesome foreigners. Think of all the money that could be saved!

4 Likes

lol

That might actually have to be legislated for.

Wasn’t William Lai talking about that a while back?

1 Like

Yes , but they could sadly pick “American English” to copy. :wink:

1 Like

I mean, if that became a reality, they might have to change existing law about teacher qualifications. But probably not–I’d have to go back and look at it. I think the relevant laws all specifically refer to foreign workers.

Big signs at the airport.

Welcome Laowai to 21st century Taiwan.
A New Era!
Englishtropolis for You!

2 Likes

I think they should establish an “advanced exam for high-level English teachers,” filled with all kinds of ridiculous and obscure questions, and only allow people who achieve high scores on it to teach English. This could help spawn a whole new cram school industry. It would be a huge job creator. Very win win!

2 Likes