Discussion About Racism

Honesty who cares? So what if a bunch of Taiwanese don’t like black, brown, red or whatever color people. There just ignorant and if anything I feel sorry for them because they aren’t exposed to the diversity that many of us here in America are. America is still the superpower and our PRESIDENT IS BLACK so hmm take that.

So do you really think there are fewer of these ignorant people on a per capita basis living in America? I really really doubt it. Everybody acting politically correct does not mean there are no racist sentiments in American society. Despite all the PC talk, I don’t buy the idea that Americans or Westerners are generally less racist compared to Taiwanese. They are just much better at knowing when to shut their mouths.

I would argue that social taboos against making racist statements are more reflective of changing attitudes than hidden agendas.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote=“GC Rider”]
So do you really think there are fewer of these ignorant people on a per capita basis living in America? I really really doubt it. Everybody acting politically correct does not mean there are no racist sentiments in American society. Despite all the PC talk, I don’t buy the idea that Americans or Westerners are generally less racist compared to Taiwanese. They are just much better at knowing when to shut their mouths.[/quote]
By definition, knowing when to shut your mouth is not ignorant. From personal experience, yes Americans are generally less racist than Taiwanese.

To be true, I haven’t had enough personal experiences of racism (whether by Americans or Taiwanese) to make such a generalization. But since you have, then this must be the ultimate truth, I guess.

No need to be snarky.

naijeru clearly stated that he/she was speaking of personal experience. He/she was not claiming his/her experience to be an ultimate truth.

[quote=“dashgalaxy86”]@the self-righteous dude:

So what would you have me do? Preach to my future inlaw about racism?
Don’t be ridiculous. The problem is that you in your own way are ethnocentric. Stay out of my business. It IS funny, AND it is racist and ignorant too.

So you thought you were witty and decided to break down every fragment and sentence I said just to disagree with me as thoroughly as possible. The bottom line is this: I don’t make it my business to tell a 52 year-old Taiwanese woman that her way of thinking is wrong. I was outnumbered at that table anyway. What could I do but laugh at the adorable ignorance? They’re not trying to keep the black man down. They’re just being selective about who they breed with. To be fair, I wouldn’t date a black woman either. It’s not based on any presumptions or prejudice about intellect or personality, it’s just that I don’t find them physically attractive and wouldn’t be interested in procreating with them. I think that Taiwanese generally feel similarly. I know many Taiwanese who are happy to befriend black men and women, but simply wouldn’t consider dating them. How is it any different from me or many other white, Asian, hispanic, or hell, even black men who say the same thing?

And before you go about extending your ignorant statements to me personally, and go on accusing me of being racist for not wanting to date a black person, let me just pose the question: What am I to do if I don’t find black women attractive? To be sure, there are black women I would date, but they are few and far between here, and where I come from back home, so I’m stuck with making these general statements. Once again it has little to do with any ideological idea about race, and everything to do with personal preferences when it comes to physical attraction.

Go take your self-righteousness back to wherever you’re from, or please at least don’t make me waste my time justifying myself unnecessarily to a kid like you.

EDIT: Asked my girlfriend’s mom why dating a black person would be so bad. She said: “The kids wouldn’t be beautiful.” I told her that in America, people like dark skin. White people and even Asians often try to get a tan. Her response: “This is Taiwan (sweet smile). I’m glad you’re so pale.”[/quote]

You’re the one posting it on an internet forum. All his points are valid.

For what it’s worth, I’m almost as white as paper and still have insecurities towards my skin colour. I don’t care whether or not pale is beautiful, I still tan, and fake tan in the winter. Love me, love my tan.

And nobody can base anything on race when it comes to love and romance. I had met a handful of Asians in my life before I met my other half, and had certainly never considered dating one, and when I met him I fell in love with him within months. You may say they selectively breed etc, even say that of yourself, but you can’t help who you are attracted to, and I have heard of Asian/Black couples. I don’t think it’s correct to think they are racially selective. I know many who are not. You don’t expect assumptions to be made on you and your views because of your skin. Return the favour :slight_smile: It is true you have to make allowances for cultural differences, but I think it’s wrong to advise people to offer money etc. Not every family in the world is so financially focused, and many may see it as an insult.

And a baby is always beautiful. Whatever the colour. Pretty amazed this caused such a hype. Thanks for the advice though :slight_smile: And I enjoy how you write.

Just my 2cents.

[quote]As an American I point out to them I am both proud and ashamed of some of the things America has done. But they can’t compare situations as neither of these 2 countries has the staggering diversity hence the many issues we have in the US. If you are white in Taiwan or black and Italy and say I am Taiwanese/Italian to locals you’ll get curious looks. What does a typical American look like now ? Also we deal with it through the media, conversation and even sometimes out the public much more than they do. Maybe because we have to sometimes. Anyway, good luck in Taiwan.[/quote]PLAYER

This

Taiwan ain’t diverse enough to compare to the USA different animals.

Actually, some of the racism I see in Taiwan is promoted by Westerners, too. They know that many of the Bushibans have racist policies and yet some Westerners take advantage of that rather than to try to address the matter. In their home countries they talk about democracy and fairness, but when they go abroad they are all too ready to be treated as if they are special. Particularly if ethnicity is the basis for that special treatment.

Then take a look at the Ponds Double White commercials here. It is not enough that the Taiwanese actors promote white skin, but they go too far when they discourage dark skin. It is not necessary to degrade dark skin just because one wants to promote white skin. Just promote white skin if you think that is important, but do you really need to insult the other Taiwanese who are not light skinned? What is gained from that but to hurt the self-esteem of your own people? Then, if Ponds were ever caught showing these advertisements in America I can guarantee they would suffer a major backlash by many consumers both dark and light skinned.

In short, racism comes in many powerful and subtle form and it is all stupid.

I would argue that social taboos against making racist statements are more reflective of changing attitudes than hidden agendas.[/quote]

I think the difference is that Taiwanese are SOOO racist…they don’t even realize they are.

They know what racism is, and believe it to be bad. But will at the same time insult people with dark skin, south east asians and black people. But then when you tell them how racist that is, the SINCERELY do not understand. Yesterday I actually pointed out to my students how racist Taiwan is. One of my students got very defensive and showed me some black dude who does free ESL lessons on youtube, saying “I watch this all the time, he is very good! So I am not racist, therefore, Taiwanese are not necessarily racists.”

Then I spoke about “maria”, philipinos and other dark skinned asians. He was quick to pounce and say “Yes, they are backwards, ignorant people good for only manual labor.”

I then pointed out the racism of his comment…and the lights finally flickered in his little racist brain. He felt quite guilty.

Awesome. :unamused: I’ve seen it in people’s behaviour, but I’ve never heard them spell it out like that.

Does anyone remember that news about the residents of some district in Taipei who petitioned the local officials to force the thai workers out of their area? I recall the spokeperson of the tw residents claimed “this has nothing to do with discrimination or racism, it’s just that we don’t want these people, with their dark skin and different culture around here. I mean, we have children going around!”.
:loco:

Yeah the old ‘we are not racists but we are racists excuse’.

[quote=“IRPolicyBroker”]Actually, some of the racism I see in Taiwan is promoted by Westerners, too. They know that many of the buxibans have racist policies and yet some Westerners take advantage of that rather than to try to address the matter. In their home countries they talk about democracy and fairness, but when they go abroad they are all too ready to be treated as if they are special. Particularly if ethnicity is the basis for that special treatment.
[/quote]

Sorry, but that is lame. So some white American guy is supposed to do what exactly? Not work in Taiwan because there is racism here?

Yeah it’s really lame, the problem is Taiwanese people’s expectations.

If somebody wants to hire a beautiful model for a fashion parade do we criticize the fashion industry for choosing the type of people their customers want to see wearing the clothes?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Yeah it’s really lame, the problem is Taiwanese people’s expectations.

If somebody wants to hire a beautiful model for a fashion parade do we criticize the fashion industry for choosing the type of people their customers want to see wearing the clothes?[/quote]
Yes we do, actually. The fashion industry is often criticized for what it promotes as “beautiful.”

Ngl didn’t read a single post in here but needed to vent real quick before I get my workout in. I’m so god-damned sick of fucking Americans trying to gatekeep other culture’s and shit. I’m sick of Americans trying to say things like wearing a traditional Taiwanese dress is racist. Meanwhile the actual people in Taiwan and in other places love sharing their culture and get hella excited when Americans enjoy their culture too. I’m sick of people that don’t even know about their own culture trying to speak for the people that actually live in their motherland. These people are 4th gen Mexican Americans trying to say it’s racist to like Mexican food and other BS. Guess what? Actual Mexicans aren’t trying to gatekeep you fucking twat. I’m sick of them calling anyone with light skin “white” no matter where said person came from. I’m sick of them constantly bringing up white vs. black shit in things that literally have nothing to do with race. I sometimes wish America would just end so I don’t have to listen to another retarded snowflake talk every again (of course not people on here but the fat asses that have never left the country).

5 Likes

I solved this problem by moving to Taiwan, i guess those sorts of people are around here but not so many and I never meet them

2 Likes