Discussion About Racism

Acceptance of tanned skin in the west is very recent and had to do with changes in the economy. Once the majority of people no longer worked in the fields but in factories then tanned skinned became something only the wealthy could have by virtue of their access to leisure time.

Anyway, I really don’t get the appeal to culture and history. Do people think prejudice in the west pops out of the ether? It too has a long history and all sorts of appeals are made by racists to justify why they think one group is inferior to another. Somehow though, in Taiwan, people who aren’t racist use the same reasoning to excuse racism. Again, I don’t get this.

As Tigerman pointed out, many many people in their 50s are not racist. Nor should they be having had a good education and possibly even the chance to live and study overseas. I see no reason to make excuses for a country with near 100% literacy, and with a population that is one of the most highly educated in Asia. Society has changed and everyone has had exposure to different ideas either through schooling or TV or religion or those little things called books.

At what point in Taiwan’s development will people stop making excuses?

[quote=“dashgalaxy86”]:yawn: So what are YOU doing about it, buddy? I “JUST” don’t see your point. Someone accused Taiwanese people with higher income than themselves of being very racist. They say they acted this way to boost their own shitty self-esteems. Sounds to me like you enjoy judging their judgment to boost your own. “They may be well educated but they’re not as enlightened and worldly as me, derr derr.”

Also, my in-law has no education beyond 6th grade but she’s done a fantastic job raising her kids, and my future wife has an MA. You may be right, it’s not good to make too many excuses for them, but what is there for us to do? Impose our values on them as individuals? Impossible, and unwelcome. She will learn with time when she is more exposed to foreigners and foreign cultures. That’s the best I can do. Until then, she’s not lynching or joining any KKK rallies, or dropping the n-word, or anything like that. She just wants pale grandkids. This discussion is absurd because even in America I’d guess as many as 30%-40% of white parents are uncomfortable with their kids dating black people. It’s the same issue, in Taiwan, but because they lack the “tact” that characterizes American culture, she’s not ashamed to blurt our her preference.

Shame on you. Shame on you all for being so silly and self-righteous.[/quote]

Dude, step away from your computer and go read something about subtle racism. For the love of Jesus you are making your points less and less valid with every stroke of the keyboard.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
At what point in Taiwan’s development will people stop making excuses?[/quote]

Around the same time most Western countries can have honest, frank and rational discussions about race and racism. Pfft.

Impose my values on them? Dude, I live here and am part of the society. I have every right to express my opinion as does anyone else here.

It seems you are still in the phase where you consider yourself a guest here. I do not, nor do many of the people posting. When you get over your patronizing and protective tone toward your “local hosts” we can talk.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Uh, I’m not taking his side. :no-no: Please don’t get it twisted. I’m just not bothered by the fact that the OP’s MIL ain’t concerned about censoring herself. So she doesn’t like black men. BIG WHOOOPPIE DOOO. But I bet if his gf brought DWYANE WADE home or someone with lots of money, she would 't have a problem. [/quote]
I don’t think anyone cares much about the MIL’s comment, it’s the OP’s response to it and his increasingly ridiculous defense of that response and her view that is the problem. Rather than just own up to having a racist MIL and acknowledge that most people don’t find that funny he goes on a tirade about hypocrisy and self-righteousness only to shove his foot further in his mouth. The guy even played the “best black friend” card over something he didn’t even say! Me thinks he doth protest too much.
:popcorn:

[quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Namahottie”]
Uh, I’m not taking his side. :no-no: Please don’t get it twisted. I’m just not bothered by the fact that the OP’s MIL ain’t concerned about censoring herself. So she doesn’t like black men. BIG WHOOOPPIE DOOO. But I bet if his gf brought DWYANE WADE home or someone with lots of money, she would 't have a problem. [/quote]
I don’t think anyone cares much about the MIL’s comment, it’s the OP’s response to it and his increasingly ridiculous defense of that response and her view that is the problem. Rather than just own up to having a racist MIL and acknowledge that most people don’t find that funny he goes on a tirade about hypocrisy and self-righteousness only to shove his foot further in his mouth. The guy even played the “best black friend” card over something he didn’t even say! Me thinks he doth protest too much.
:popcorn:[/quote]
:laughing: :bravo:

Maybe this forum should be renamed “Kantian Dating & Relationships.”

I don’t really buy the wanting their children to have white skin excuse. I can only speak from my experience but my wife isn’t the only Taiwanese girl I’ve ever dated but even though I’d be classified as white I’m of Southern European descent so I’m not exactly pale. I have olive skin and in the summer I get pretty dark but this was never an issue with my in laws. My sister in law dates black guys and this isn’t an issue with the mom and dad either. Now maybe something changes when the families move to the states but my guess is my in laws would not have had an issue with their daughters marrying people who weren’t Asian or White if they were still in Taiwan. Maybe I’m just lucky.

It’s just my opinion but the OP seems to have this attitude that he shouldn’t bother with addressing the issue with the mother in law. I would say as a parent you do need to address this with your mother in law. Obviously you can’t flat out tell her she needs to change but you do need to educate her because if you have children with your girlfriend she is going to be around them and she is going to have an influence on how your girlfriend raises them. You don’t want there to be an issue with your children growing up thinking it’s ok or cool to make fun of black people just because they’re black.

To the OP: careful how those mildy racist ideas will creep back when any difference of opinion comes up.

It is my experience, and those of many foreign women, especially the Latinas* I know, that every time they complain about something about houisehold management or have a discussion, the racial non sequitour comes up: “but your people are lazy/immoral, etc…” even if you are just asking why the hubby/BF paid bills late/double parked in a red zone, does not help with kiddies homework.

Yes, there are many foreigners who seem to complain a lot. Yes, it could be helpful to be tolerant. But racist comments escalate. Yes, a mild off-hand comment about “not being black” may seem innocuous to you now, but when the life of your kid is on the balance and your opinion may not count because you are not Chinese, that’ll be another story.

It is good to follow local mores, and honoring the parents is well seen here and in the West. Just be sure you also understand there are things the family would not get away with if you were a local. When that situation comes, do face them and say: I follow your customs, why are you treating me differently from a Taiwanese husband? I respect you, please respect me. If I was a Taiwanese husband, you would not be doing/saying what you are now!". Then watch their reply, and act accordingly.

*Please note many Latinas here are whities than paper -lack of sunshine, friggin weather- and many of the ones I’ve heard complaining tend to be blond.

I don’t live in Taiwan anymore, but I did for several years. Maybe I am the first black person to respond to this thread. Not sure. The OP has his own opinion and view about his own situation, but as a person of color when people make comments like the MIT did, well it kinda hits you in the face. When I lived in Taiwan a girl I was dating would sometimes say, “I don’t like Thai people.” I would always ask her why? The answer was usually silly or lacking any logic and I would point that out to her. Not try to force her to change, but express why I did not agree and to help them think about it. Thinking about social values is not the norm in Taiwan as many of you know. It takes time, but I would never force it on people there just shine a light on it. I figured it was not my problem but theirs.

The light skin is more beautiful is a value question. Taiwanese learn this in their history, literature and it is drummed into their heads on TV commercials. In 2002 I remember a black friend and his Taiwanese wife had a kid and people went gaga over the baby. They thought he was the cutest thingin the planet. Until they see and experience things up close people have these ideas stuck in their heads and its pretty sad. Blame the media or whomever you want for the brainwashing. It’s probably worse for darker Taiwanese girls in the south. Oh, and yes if the black dude made NBA type money or had a $1.9 million dollar house in California colorblindness starts to magically take hold. Value system. :unamused:

Now some folks don’t understand that the color issue affects you in other ways. Like trying to get a job, being afraid of you etc. Or even having a job and people doubting your abilty based on pigment. So if someone says they don’t have anything against people of color they are fooling themselves. If you polled people on who they’d like to teach them in regards to color were given what would the answers be? Why? I had to gradually prove to people in Taiwan I could do the job or be trustworthy, sometimes it was very frustrating, but most of them came around. The main problem is ignorance like anywhere. In Taiwan discrimination is kept on the low. The media avoids it and people would rather watch action flicks or read comics than focus on the issues (overwork). It is getting better (been back a few times) but there is still a long way to go.

[quote=“PLAYER101”]I don’t live in Taiwan anymore, but I did for several years. Maybe I am the first black person to respond to this thread. Not sure. The OP has his own opinion and view about his own situation, but as a person of color when people make comments like the MIT did, well it kinda hits you in the face. When I lived in Taiwan a girl I was dating would sometimes say, “I don’t like Thai people.” I would always ask her why? The answer was usually silly or lacking any logic and I would point that out to her. Not try to force her to change, but express why I did not agree and to help them think about it. Thinking about social values is not the norm in Taiwan as many of you know. It takes time, but I would never force it on people there just shine a light on it. I figured it was not my problem but theirs.

The light skin is more beautiful is a value question. Taiwanese learn this in their history, literature and it is drummed into their heads on TV commercials. In 2002 I remember a black friend and his Taiwanese wife had a kid and people went gaga over the baby. They thought he was the cutest thingin the planet. Until they see and experience things up close people have these ideas stuck in their heads and its pretty sad. Blame the media or whomever you want for the brainwashing. It’s probably worse for darker Taiwanese girls in the south. Oh, and yes if the black dude made NBA type money or had a $1.9 million dollar house in California colorblindness starts to magically take hold. Value system. :unamused:

Now some folks don’t understand that the color issue affects you in other ways. Like trying to get a job, being afraid of you etc. Or even having a job and people doubting your abilty based on pigment. So if someone says they don’t have anything against people of color they are fooling themselves. If you polled people on who they’d like to teach them in regards to color were given what would the answers be? Why? I had to gradually prove to people in Taiwan I could do the job or be trustworthy, sometimes it was very frustrating, but most of them came around. The main problem is ignorance like anywhere. In Taiwan discrimination is kept on the low. The media avoids it and people would rather watch action flicks or read comics than focus on the issues (overwork). It is getting better (been back a few times) but there is still a long way to go.[/quote]

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

[quote=“PLAYER101”]I don’t live in Taiwan anymore, but I did for several years. Maybe I am the first black person to respond to this thread. Not sure. The OP has his own opinion and view about his own situation, but as a person of color when people make comments like the MIT did, well it kinda hits you in the face. When I lived in Taiwan a girl I was dating would sometimes say, “I don’t like Thai people.” I would always ask her why? The answer was usually silly or lacking any logic and I would point that out to her. Not try to force her to change, but express why I did not agree and to help them think about it. Thinking about social values is not the norm in Taiwan as many of you know. It takes time, but I would never force it on people there just shine a light on it. I figured it was not my problem but theirs.

Now some folks don’t understand that the color issue affects you in other ways. Like trying to get a job, being afraid of you etc. Or even having a job and people doubting your abilty based on pigment. So if someone says they don’t have anything against people of color they are fooling themselves. If you polled people on who they’d like to teach them in regards to color were given what would the answers be? Why? I had to gradually prove to people in Taiwan I could do the job or be trustworthy, sometimes it was very frustrating, but most of them came around. The main problem is ignorance like anywhere. In Taiwan discrimination is kept on the low. The media avoids it and people would rather watch action flicks or read comics than focus on the issues (overwork). It is getting better (been back a few times) but there is still a long way to go.[/quote]

Exactly the kind of perspective this thread needed. Thanks for your post. I have some Taiwanese friends and, for some reason, I always got annoyed by their distaste for Korean people even though Korea shares so much of its pop culture and industries with Taiwan. I’m also puzzled by the Taiwanese love for Japanese people and Japan in general, which persists even though Japan brutally oppressed Taiwanese people. Not that they should hate the Japanese, but why hate Koreans?

And yes, they look down on all those with darker skin, not just those with African descent… Indian, Southeast Asian, you name it… if it’s dark, it’s underdeveloped. And they assume if a person hails from an underdeveloped place, and their skin represents this, then that must mean they’re physically and mentally inferior too, or at least that is the logic that some argue. However, I have never heard this rationalization from a Taiwanese (though I have from a mainlander, so go figure). And I still believe for most, it doesn’t go beyond a preference for paler skin colors. Not that this is acceptable, but at least it isn’t violent or hostile.

I also want to thank PLAYER101 for not going in and taking a side right away, which probably would’ve been all too easy. Your stepping in in this manner made me appreciate the sensitivities of some of the other participants in this thread. I have only two black “friends” in Taiwan, one from Burkina Faso, the other from the South of the US, and they have very different opinions on the matter. Both of them have Taiwanese girlfriends, actually, but one of them swears he has never heard of or noticed any racism beyond that of the US. The other says he gets stared at every day. I tell him “So do I”, but there might be more to it in his case. That may have as much to do with the fact that he’s like 6 foot 4 inches as it does his “color”, though.

I think the worst example of racism I’ve encountered in Taiwanese is that some language schools will NOT hire black people. That offended me. That’s the most offended I’ve been on the subject of race, and it left me a bit jaded to be honest. Still, I don’t blame the Taiwanese culture for this, really, because this level of racism persists, albeit in the back of people’s minds and not in professional businesses, just as strongly where I come from (the United States). That doesn’t excuse it; it’s still a problem, but one that cannot be solved easily. As such, I tend to put this kind of thing on the back-burner when I come across it. Possibly, I would have a different approach if I were black, but then again, maybe I wouldn’t. I’m not the kind of person that likes to make waves with people that I need the cooperation of. Shallow? Wrong? Maybe, but my MIL’s “racism” is benign, and understandable; she totally lacks education beyond that of a 6th grade level, and her niece married a black man living in Dubai, and now she never comes back to visit… She even didn’t show up or call for Chinese New Year. Once again, that’s no excuse, but I digress…

Anyway, I have had some time to cool down and think about my own position, and perhaps I shouldn’t have said that I “laughed” in the first place, but actually explained more about my internal reaction. First of all it was more of a cynical smirk, but more importantly, I just want to make clear that, if I didn’t “smirk”, I certainly wouldn’t have done anything else. It was just my way of expressing discomfort, an awkward reflex (doesn’t anyone else laugh when they’re slightly uncomfortable), but it did amuse me because I had come to expect backward thinking from her Mom… at that time I didn’t like her much, but later on we had come to understand each other better. In that way, I kind of saw a comment like this coming, so to speak. Anyway, she’s no devil, and I have no doubt that if I were black, I’d be able to convince her that I was suitable for her daughter. What I failed to make clear before was that I believed her statement to be an excusatory one, meant to show acceptance of me in a roundabout way without actually saying “He’s ideal for my daughter” directly. I don’t even think there was much meaning behind it at all, as far as racism went. I probably lost a few people there, but for those of you who get my meaning, great.

I want to apologize to everyone for dragging you in and becoming particularly defensive as the conversation went on. I understand that most of you are like me, and you simply won’t quit until you’ve made your point. Well, I failed to make a good one to most of you, but I hope that you can all understand that I meant no ill-will toward any of you (nor any race :wink: ). I don’t think that my MIL needed defending, actually, but that I just have seen similar racism back home and in other Western countries featured quite openly, where it has oppressed many more and much more deeply than it does here. In that, I found hypocrisy and, yes, self-righteousness in some cases, and I still don’t entirely back away from this stance. Still, I respect that you are stepping away from your own country’s racial politics and historical background to take a stand for what you believe is right, here and now. When I got defensive, I went off on unnecessary tangents that this thread would do better to forget.

That ends, I hope, this chapter of the thread, though perhaps other issues shall arise in the future worth discussing or debating. The researcher in me would love to hear more from black people who’ve had to live in Taiwan and deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. Anyway, that’s it for me for the moment! Maybe I’ll make an edit later if I think I forgot something.

Another excellent post. Very magnanimous (though a bit wordy). :bravo:

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Another excellent post. Very magnanimous (though a bit wordy). :bravo:[/quote]+1. Well thought out. :bravo:

[quote=“dashgalaxy86”]
I want to apologize to everyone for dragging you in and becoming particularly defensive as the conversation went on. I understand that most of you are like me, and you simply won’t quit until you’ve made your point. Well, I failed to make a good one to most of you, but I hope that you can all understand that I meant no ill-will toward any of you (nor any race :wink: ).[/quote]
Can’t speak for everyone but I think the ill-will was only against your post(s) as most posters here are really good folks who can separate the wheat from the chaff.

There’s been plenty of discussion on race in Taiwan on this forum (errr :blush: :laughing: ) just do a search (not being snarky either). But good job at “manning up” :thumbsup:

dashgalaxy86 and everyone else thanks. I live in Italy now and it is more my style, but I do miss some things about Taiwan. The only point I would add is that Italians and Taiwanese often say they welcome everyone to their countries and are friendly to all. Well… OK more or less. They certainly won’t physically attack you in TW, very true. I like both places a lot, but they often try to compare the racism in the USA to their countries or elsewhere. Not a good idea.

As an American I point out to them I am both proud and ashamed of some of the things America has done. But they can’t compare situations as neither of these 2 countries has the staggering diversity hence the many issues we have in the US. If you are white in Taiwan or black and Italy and say I am Taiwanese/Italian to locals you’ll get curious looks. What does a typical American look like now :ponder: ? Also we deal with it through the media, conversation and even sometimes out the public much more than they do. Maybe because we have to sometimes. Anyway, good luck in Taiwan.

For Taiwanese, it’s not. It’s between two families.

For Taiwanese, it’s not. It’s between two families.[/quote]
I’ve never understood this one. In my experience, the two families rarely, if ever, see each other ever again after the marriage. I’ve never met or even seen any of my wife’s sister-in-law’s families in more than 20 years of us being together. I don’t think that’s atypical, either.
I think the “marriage between two families” is a crock of shit.

For Taiwanese, it’s not. It’s between two families.[/quote][/quote]
I’ve never understood this one. In my experience, the two families rarely, if ever, see each other ever again after the marriage. I’ve never met or even seen any of my wife’s sister-in-law’s families in more than 20 years of us being together. I don’t think that’s atypical, either.
I think the “marriage between two families” is a crock of shit.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
two families: Family A=You and your wife, Family B= Her family
If for Taiwanese couple, a Taiwanese male marrying Taiwanese female,then it will mostly be : Family A=the husband and the wife, Family B= the husband’s original family

[quote]I’ve never understood this one. In my experience, the two families rarely, if ever, see each other ever again after the marriage. I’ve never met or even seen any of my wife’s sister-in-law’s families in more than 20 years of us being together. I don’t think that’s atypical, either.
I think the “marriage between two families” is a crock of shit.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
two families: Family A=You and your wife, Family B= Her family
If for Taiwanese couple, a Taiwanese male marrying Taiwanese female,then it will mostly be : Family A=the husband and the wife, Family B= the husband’s original family[/quote]

Those of you that are longtimers here know its our tradition. That’s all no logic. My friends that are married deal with this. Many do not like it. The wife is absorbed into the male family so to speak. Maybe that is why I don’t want to marry here. As for this whole discussion about racism. We have a long way to go. Taiwanese are not mean spirts, but we hide our racist attitudes and sometimes they subtly come out. We don’t treat all countries and races equally but we act as if we do. ACT. Player 101s post talks about some of that. Important issues that are hurtful in Taiwan are usually kept under the table. People don’t like to talk about them. Better to watch a movie and TVBS to learn about car accident in Taipei county, a Tv stars affair or some strippers with big boobs in Munich. It’s Taiwanese style.