Discussion of Upcoming Music Events

Hey mate, what exactly do you have against a band providing entertainment to fans who may still wish to attend their concerts? I mean, if no-one wants to go, then they won’t sell any tickets and that’s something they should consider for their financial planning, but if you think they’re “uncool” or too “old” why don’t you list your musical tastes so that we can tell you how shit (for Christ’s sake) your taste in music is?

The fact that I’m apparently the only person on this forum who gives enough of a shit to bother listing the fucking shows in the first place, I don’t owe you anything. If you read the opening salvo of the post, I never promised to be an unbiased journalist of events.

But I will answer your questions, mate, for all to read and enjoy.

What exactly do I have against yada-yada?

Nothing, really. I find it exceedingly difficult to get excited about a band I was vaguely psyched about in 1999. That they continue to tour is none of my business, unless they come to my part of the world and charge 50 bucks to see them do whatever they’re doing. For a section of my life I was a semi-professional musician, so I take it fairly seriously. Most of all, nobody gives a fuck what I have to say. This gives me carte blanche.

If I think I’m too cool yada-yada list your musical tastes to tell how shit [my] your taste in music is.

Sigh. You want them in alphabetical order, cuz I’ve a mind to rip over to Allmusic and cut n’ paste the shit out of bands? I’ve been listening to Shonen Knife’s Burning Farm today, but that’s a “comfort food” type of record and I know every jam by heart. Last night I listened to Judas Priest’s Screaming For Vengeance in its entirety without a trace of hipster irony. I love that record. I have an old composer friend who just sent me an MP3 of his concerto for bassoon and piano - reminds me of Varese and Stravinsky. The first two Roxy Music LPs are getting a lot of airplay. Frank Zappa is awesome, despite the epic guitar solos. Speaking of guitar solos, I like 'em violent, unconventional, and funny. I’m a huge Bad Brains fan…

It would be easier to tell you what I don’t like.

I despise The Grateful Dead and everything they continue to slouch for, particularly the incessant guitar noodling and “improvisation”, which is the sound of six guys trying to figure out where the fuck everybody else is tonight. Frank Sinatra was evil, evil shit. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a masterful Hendrix impersonator. Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd; the rest of it is horrible. I can’t tell the difference between Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, or Beyonce. Ninety-five percent of all guitar rock made since 1991 is un-listenable. Nirvana was grossly over-rated. I’ve never listened to a Kanye West song start-to-finish and I hope I never do. Mumford & Sons are far more insidious than Nickelback. EDM is light-years beyond my appreciation, so I never even comment on that stuff. Unless you’re Kasey Kasem, I think a dude has lot of balls calling himself a DJ. E-T-C.

Satisfied?

Can I call you “mate” too?
Here you go.
Three Jacks:

Jack Johnson
Jack Bruce
Jack “The Love Boat” Jones

Rate them, from least to most loathsome.
And…go!

You can call me anything you want, except “guy.” But you knew that.

Jack Bruce is kind of a shrug. Cream was interesting to me because of Ginger Baker; the other two got in the way, IMHO.

Jack Jones is still alive, by the way, and thanks to you, I now know who sings “Angel Eyes”. Very precious information.

Jack Johnson - shit, first thing I thought of was the boxer. You’re talking about the surfer dude who doesn’t sing as much as he audibly exhales. Makes the cat from Death Cab For Cutie sound like Pavarotti.

[quote=“super_lucky, post:45, topic:88256, full:true”]
…thanks to you, I now know who sings “Angel Eyes”.[/quote]

Kanookistanian blasphemy.

Everyone knows Jeff frigging Healey sings Angel Eyes (“eyes”, get it??)

John Prine on opiates maybe. I really like this guy, but it took me a long time to get into him. Now he’s a fave.

Hmm Sad Wings of Destiny and the first Bad Brains tape about up with the best things ever recorded IMO, so will listen to some of the other stuff in this paragraph at least :slight_smile: Listening to first Venom album now, that hits your guitar solo parameters pretty good and pretty often. Will give Screaming for Vengeance a go soon. Never got into other Priest much but can’t remember last time I tried

I love the Ros, Heima is the greatest concert documentary ever recorded. And that’s all I have to say on this subject.

Thought the Elvis gig last week was very good, I know some would have preferred a band but it was a unique show and well worth the nickle.

As I was jawboning with @Rocket last night, I feel a little guilty for not coming with the real shit: Babymetal feat. Rob Halford doing Priest covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQhGviF42rQ

Sad Wings of Destiny was one of those records my brother handed down and scared the crap out of me. We had a shared hatred of Deep Purple and he said, yeah, you want hard rock? This is fuckin’ hard rock, young fella. “Victim of Changes” and “Tyrant” were my jams.

Venom is exactly what I’m looking for when I need to be cheered up. Seriously. I don’t consider something metal unless it makes me laugh. Black Metal set a standard for death metal to come, IMHO. Priest had that run of four really solid records that ended with Screaming. After that it was “I’m your turbo lover” bullshit and I wasn’t having it.

For further listening pleasure of somewhat unknown or un-celebrated LPs, have a look-see at The Velvet Underground’s 1969 self-titled LP and Loaded (1970) - both without John Cale, who went on to “better” things with Nick Drake and The Stooges; but notably his 1974 solo album Fear. (P.S. Most critics rate Paris 1919 as the Cale album).

On the other hand, we took a taxi in Manila the other day (from Ortigas to Mall of Asia - one fucking hour in traffic) and the driver had his iTunes dialed in proper. We climb in (me, the wife, and kid) and the driver says, “You like Neil Young, sir?” Why, yes. Yes, I do. He proceeded to play Harvest basically cover-to-cover, and I teared up during “Heart of Gold”. My kid said, “Papa, what’s wrong?” and I said, nothing, buddy. This is a beautiful jam, and he said, “Yeah, it’s a jam.” Anyway, the first Crazy Horse LP (without Neil) is a total sleeper and starting to grow on me. Danny Whitten’s “I Don’t Want to Talk About it” is very good.

On today’s playlist: Talking Heads’ 77, Built to Spill’s Keep It Like a Secret, The Meters’ Look-a-Py-Py, and King Diamond’s Abigail, for levity.

I forgot to mention King Diamond. That is some of the funniest shit I have ever heard. To see it live is something else entirely.

You ever see that episode of Family Guy where Peter goes around kicking people in the head and saying, “Road House!”? You know I’m not a TV cat, but I’ve watched that episode at least 10 times. And it’s no accident that “Angel Eyes” comes from See the Light. I miss Jeff Healey. Wikipedia says he was from Toronto, but I can imagine him being the pride and joy of Calgary.

Yeah, he will be missed.
That asswipe Colin James used to try and convince everyone he was the Canookistanian Stevie Ray Vaughn, but h’s more like the Canooker Bryan Adams.
Jeffy was the sauce, man.

Hell of an actor, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnljTZQU6g

My apologies for spacing this post.

First, thanks for the brief review of the Elvis show. You went.

Second, I mean no harm with the Ros or any other band. In fact, I’d like to know why you think Heima is the GOAT. I’m interested in watching it now.

This is obviously a wind up, dude.

I tried listening to Screaming for Vengeance but I wound up listening to Sad Wings of Destiny again. I’ll try again, maybe flip a bit

The end of Epitaph is pretty rock and roll

Heima has a unique concept and format. It features excerpts from a series of free concerts and performances some of which are in amazingly remote locations across Iceland i.e. inside an abandoned herring factory or on bleak mountainsides. Stunningly shot in crystal clear HD, its also probably the quietest rockumentary ever made with a lot of acoustic segments and musical interaction with local communities.

I know.

Well, now I’m gonna check it out.

Hey, who was that one dude on here from Iceland, the one that said he was splitting?
Gomez or something?
Maybe he knows about them.

I’ll bet they’ve played Eyjafjallajökull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1xMY3DAZk

Indeed. Been a while since I listened to that one. Amazing how the music sticks in your head