Discussion on hypnotherapy for giving up smoking

[quote=“sandman”]
Are the people who kicked the habit through hypnotherapy somehow “less non-smokers” than those who used other methods?[/quote]Good question…

Absolutely. You hit the nail on the head a couple times, there, sandman.

marboulette

I think it means I misinterpreted your post, but I’m not certain.

marboulette

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“the chief”]

Jesus, man, you’d argue with a stump.[/quote]Whatever you say, tough guy…

marboulette[/quote]

The hell is that supposed to mean???
:eh:[/quote]

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“sandman”]In my experience, hypnotism has helped numerous people quit. As I said, my dad’s partner used it for more than 30 years to reasonably good success, or he presumably wouldn’t have bothered.
Are the people who kicked the habit through hypnotherapy somehow “less non-smokers” than those who used other methods? That is definitely one of the more foolish notions I’ve read on the flob.
You quit, you quit. If some half-arsed douchebag thinks you somehow didn’t quit “on your own,” are the views of such a twat even really worth considering at all? I say no. You quit, you quit. By whatever means necessary.[/quote]

OK, and when I count to three and snap my fingers, you’ll be wearing trousers! AND underwear with NO stains!
One, two…[/quote]
For fuck’s sake! Haven’t you even been listening a wee bittie? Hypnosis won’t make you do something you wouldn’t normally do unless you really want to. And why on earth would I forego my precious stains in me Calvins? They provide valuable support.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“sandman”]In my experience, hypnotism has helped numerous people quit. As I said, my dad’s partner used it for more than 30 years to reasonably good success, or he presumably wouldn’t have bothered.
Are the people who kicked the habit through hypnotherapy somehow “less non-smokers” than those who used other methods? That is definitely one of the more foolish notions I’ve read on the flob.
You quit, you quit. If some half-arsed douchebag thinks you somehow didn’t quit “on your own,” are the views of such a twat even really worth considering at all? I say no. You quit, you quit. By whatever means necessary.[/quote]

OK, and when I count to three and snap my fingers, you’ll be wearing trousers! AND underwear with NO stains!
One, two…[/quote]
For fuck’s sake! Haven’t you even been listening a wee bittie? Hypnosis won’t make you do something you wouldn’t normally do unless you really want to. And why on earth would I forego my precious stains in me Calvins? They provide valuable support.[/quote]
Maybe you are the twat or the half-arsed douchebag, did you consider THAT?

[quote=“igorveni”]
Maybe you are the twat or the half-arsed douchebag, did you consider THAT?[/quote]

HA! he’s got you there, Mr Smartypants! What do you say to THAT?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“igorveni”]
Maybe you are the twat or the half-arsed douchebag, did you consider THAT?[/quote]

HA! he’s got you there, Mr Smartypants! What do you say to THAT?[/quote]
Don’t worry, I am sure he’s got plenty to say :sunglasses:

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“igorveni”]

HA! he’s got you there, Mr Smartypants! What do you say to THAT?[/quote]
Don’t need to say anything. Its all been said before. I’m interested, though, in this weird notion that there are somehow “degrees” of quitting smoking, and that some methods are somehow less admirable than others.
So is, say, the nicotine patch an “allowed” method of quitting? How about replacement therapy? Is that a no-no? If not, then why is hypnotherapy seen by some people as somehow less “real” than any other method. Quitting is quitting, after all. Isn’t it?

Hey Doc McCoy, one further follow up on that disgusting photo I posted before: see this strong, healthy guy?

Of course it’s the same guy as the deathbed photo I posted, but guess how much earlier this shot was taken?

did you guess?

go ahead, make a guess.

Amazingly, the above shot was taken
just 63 days
before the other photo. :astonished:

whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html

Given that, isn’t any effort to quit, including hypnotherapy, certainly worth a try.

[quote=“sandman”]Quitting is quitting, after all. [/quote]Now you’re just repeating yourself. Watch it, it happens more and more after a certain age.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“sandman”]Quitting is quitting, after all. [/quote]Now you’re just repeating yourself. Watch it, it happens more and more after a certain age.

marboulette[/quote]

How old are you then? 982?

You quit you quit is DIFFERENT from quitting is quitting you young whippersnapper. Now fetch me my pipe and slippers.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Hey Doc McCoy, one further follow up on that disgusting photo I posted before: see this strong, healthy guy?
[/quote]
I don’t give a shit. I hate to get sucker punched into looking at shit like that.
I’m sure I could find gory pictures of someone who fell down a mountain too, but I don’t want to.

It’s been 6 months since my last cigarette.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“sandman”]Quitting is quitting, after all. [/quote]Now you’re just repeating yourself. Watch it, it happens more and more after a certain age.

marboulette[/quote]

How old are you then? 982?[/quote]Oh, shut it. :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]Now fetch me my pipe…[/quote]I would if only she answered her phone calls.

marboulette

[quote=“sandman”] I’m interested, though, in this weird notion that there are somehow “degrees” of quitting smoking, and that some methods are somehow less admirable than others.
So is, say, the nicotine patch an “allowed” method of quitting? [/quote]

Sorry to say, but if you’re using a nicotine patch, it just isn’t as respectable as going cold turkey.

Now, if you are able to kick the nicotine patch habit, that’s another story.

Unless, of course, to kick the patch habit, you started up chewing nicorette gum,

or developed a nasty nicorette inhaler habit.

At SOME point you gotta give up nicotine.

I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant when he used the verb quit.

marboulette

That worked for a cousin of mine also.

That worked for a cousin of mine also.[/quote]

Worked for the guy in my photo too. :wink:

Seriously, though, congratulations Dr. McCoy on the 6 months without. That’s terrific. I would imagine it must start getting a little easier after the first few weeks, though one still needs to be wary of the occasional craving and don’t fool yourself into thinking, well, just one with my buddy should be ok, won’t hurt me, etc.

I take it, also, that you don’t care for the photos of black lungs and nasty teeth and the like that they now stick on ciggie packs? At least for young new smokers, who think smoking is sexy or glamorous, that may have a deterent effect, no? Given that companies spend billions on marketing, and marketing is proven to be effective in selling products, isn’t it likely that “anti-marketing” does help reduce sales?

People think it’s all about misery and desperation and death and all that shite, which is not to be ignored, but what they forget is the pleasure of it. Otherwise we wouldn’t do it. After all, we’re not fucking stupid. At least, we’re not that fucking stupid.

Renton from Welsh’s Trainspotting on heroin use. People do stuff because they want to, not because they don’t understand the consequences. Most westerners are fully aware of what happens but they start when they have no sense of mortality and as they start to develop this, they start to feel a certain amount of dissonance when their pleasurable desires are at odds with their death-avoiding* urges. The strongest desire wins in 99 times out of 100 because the physical and emotional strength to quit something that is addictive is immense and requires a level of self awareness, discipline and self management that very few people have at the best of times. And addiction is not the best of times. Of course it’s possible to force yourself to deny one set of needs in favour of another in the name of being a grown-up, but you need to realise you’ll probably fail repeatedly. Once you accept that failure, ideally it will get easier.

Perhaps hypnosis simply realigns and reinforces the behaviour you wish you favoured? It’s less illogical than most methods.

Good luck, OP.

*social discomfort also

[quote=“Norm MacDonald”]My doctor tried to scare me our of smoking. He showed me a picture of a smoker’s lung.
Ohhh! It was gross and disgusting!

Then he showed me a picture of a healthy person’s lung.
Ohhh! It was gross and disgusting!

That’s why they put them on the inside. You don’t have to look at them all the time.[/quote]