Discussion on hypnotherapy for giving up smoking

[quote=“igorveni”]
There is nothing weak about seeking help whe one has a problem. There is everything weak when you decide to implant yourself or get yourself “robotized” so it looks like you have handled the problem, but you didn’t and the worst part of it is YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL.[/quote]

There is a big contradiction there… Nothing wrong with seeking help, but very weak to seek help through hypnosis, as you put it. Doesn’t make much sense to me. People who seek help for depression, for example, may choose to use drugs. These drugs alter your moods, and your thoughts… In other words, you use a drug to help gain control because you are not in control. Hypnosis has also shown to benefit some people who are depressed, BTW. Are they also weak?

“Not in control” is to smoke when you don’t want to smoke anymore. Anything that can help you gain control and the ability to kick the habit is not weak, it’s seeking a form of help as opposed to going cold turkey.

By your logic, the same could be said about using nicorette gum, nicotine patches or inhalers. You’re certainly not in control if you are still putting chemicals in your bloodstream. But all of these things, including hypnosis, can help someone gradually gain control over a very severe addiction.

It seems to me that the only smokers you will not regard as weak are the ones who quit cold turkey without seeking any help.

Classifying hypnotism as being “robotized” or “implanted” shows very poor understanding of the hypnosis process, and classifying those who use hypnosis as weak shows a very poor understanding of what addictions are all about, and it comes off as VERY sanctimoniuos, indeed.

marboulette

You think the pic you posted makes any points? it doesn’t and frankly, the fact that you post this pic is disturbing.
Hypnotism is wrong in so many levels. I will always opt for deal with your own problems and confront life face on.
There are many many ways to seek help, without resorting to practice that make you look the other way or put you in a second state of mind like Hypnotism, drugs or whatnot.

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“igorveni”]
There is nothing weak about seeking help whe one has a problem. There is everything weak when you decide to implant yourself or get yourself “robotized” so it looks like you have handled the problem, but you didn’t and the worst part of it is YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL.[/quote]

There is a big contradiction there… Nothing wrong with seeking help, but very weak to seek help through hypnosis, as you put it. Doesn’t make much sense to me. People who seek help for depression, for example, may choose to use drugs. These drugs alter your moods, and your thoughts… In other words, you use a drug to help gain control because you are not in control. Hypnosis has also shown to benefit some people who are depressed, BTW. Are they also weak?

“Not in control” is to smoke when you don’t want to smoke anymore. Anything that can help you gain control and the ability to kick the habit is not weak, it’s seeking a form of help as opposed to going cold turkey.

By your logic, the same could be said about using nicorette gum, nicotine patches or inhalers. You’re certainly not in control if you are still putting chemicals in your bloodstream. But all of these things, including hypnosis, can help someone gradually gain control over a very severe addiction.

It seems to me that the only smokers you will not regard as weak are the ones who quit cold turkey without seeking any help.

Classifying hypnotism as being “robotized” or “implanted” shows very poor understanding of the hypnosis process, and classifying those who use hypnosis as weak shows a very poor understanding of what addictions are all about, and it comes off as VERY sanctimoniuos, indeed.

marboulette[/quote]

Jesus, man, you’d argue with a stump.

I’ve quit smoking many time, but I’ve never tried hypnotherapy. The best way I’ve found so far is to spend a week in the hospital.

[quote=“the chief”]

Jesus, man, you’d argue with a stump.[/quote]Whatever you say, tough guy…

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“the chief”]

Jesus, man, you’d argue with a stump.[/quote]Whatever you say, tough guy…

marboulette[/quote]

The hell is that supposed to mean???
:eh:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]:lol: :bravo:

Actually, I really don’t care that much about smoking, as it’s not my problem, nor the problem of anyone in my family. Others are free to do as they wish. I was just screwing around. And, to be honest, I own stock in a tobacco company as nothing sells products like addiction. But if a smoker wishes to kick their habit by any means possible, including hypnotism, I think good for them.[/quote]

Now that’s gross.

And you know you’re still going to die, right? Probably in the next 20-30 years? Probably of cancer?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]:lol: :bravo:

Actually, I really don’t care that much about smoking, as it’s not my problem, nor the problem of anyone in my family. Others are free to do as they wish. I was just screwing around. And, to be honest, I own stock in a tobacco company as nothing sells products like addiction. But if a smoker wishes to kick their habit by any means possible, including hypnotism, I think good for them.[/quote]

Now that’s gross.

And you know you’re still going to die, right? Probably in the next 20-30 years? Probably of cancer?[/quote]

Not if hipmotizm can cure rank hypocrisy…

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]:lol: :bravo:

Now that’s gross.

And you know you’re still going to die, right? Probably in the next 20-30 years? Probably of cancer?[/quote]

I don’t get it. I believe in a person’s right to use most recreational drugs so long as their use doesn’t infringe on others. If others want to drink beer or smoke cigarrettes, that should be their choice, just as it should be my choice to smoke dope if I wish. Unless they’re blowing smoke in my face (or up my ass in the Chief’s case), I won’t criticize their choice. It may be a dumb choice, but I’m not their mommy. If someone wants to quit, I think that’s a wise move and I wish them well, but I’m not going to harangue smokers over their dumb habit. That’s their choice.

Incidentally, I’m also not likely to die in the next 20-30 years and not from cancer, but yes, I probably will die eventually.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Incidentally, I’m also not likely to die in the next 20-30 years and not from cancer, but yes, I probably will die eventually.[/quote]

Condolences. Sorry for being insensitive.

:smiley: We’re digressing me thinks…

Thankfully. You’d find it hard to find a less supportive, more mean-spirited thread than this, even on forumosa.

I can’t concentrate without a smoke.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Incidentally, I’m also not likely to die in the next 20-30 years and not from cancer, but yes, I probably will die eventually.[/quote]

Just you wait, you’ll get to heaven, all truths will be revealed, and you’ll find out that nightclub hipmosis is just a scam.
Like SARS and Bigfoot.
Don’t come crawling back to me (or whatever dead dudes do) all “chief! You were right! I was a fool!” and all, because I’ll be :hand:

Thankfully. You’d find it hard to find a less supportive, more mean-spirited thread than this, even on forumosa.[/quote]

Ok, I’ll be cheerful, upbeat and positive then.

I think hypnotism sounds like a great way for a person to try to conquer troublesome habits such as smoking. As most people know, hypnotism won’t cause a person to perform acts that are totally contrary to their true nature (eg., leading a good, kind person to commit murder), but it can help implant subconcious suggestions and, if those suggestions are within the scope of the person’s ordinary beliefs and moral standards, it CAN help shape behavior. I think that’s great. :slight_smile:

So, if any of you folks are trying to stop smoking, I say give hypnotism a try and be sure to keep us posted on how it goes. :thumbsup:

Thankfully. You’d find it hard to find a less supportive, more mean-spirited thread than this, even on forumosa.[/quote]

Ok, I’ll be cheerful, upbeat and positive then.
[/quote]

Well, nothing says ‘I have no soul’ like a sanctimoniously posted pic of an cancer sufferer from a tobacco share owner. Just … ew.

What is that word means?
And I agrree with BC on that. MT… :no-no:

In my experience, hypnotism has helped numerous people quit. As I said, my dad’s partner used it for more than 30 years to reasonably good success, or he presumably wouldn’t have bothered.
Are the people who kicked the habit through hypnotherapy somehow “less non-smokers” than those who used other methods? That is definitely one of the more foolish notions I’ve read on the flob.
You quit, you quit. If some half-arsed douchebag thinks you somehow didn’t quit “on your own,” are the views of such a twat even really worth considering at all? I say no. You quit, you quit. By whatever means necessary.

[quote=“sandman”]In my experience, hypnotism has helped numerous people quit. As I said, my dad’s partner used it for more than 30 years to reasonably good success, or he presumably wouldn’t have bothered.
Are the people who kicked the habit through hypnotherapy somehow “less non-smokers” than those who used other methods? That is definitely one of the more foolish notions I’ve read on the flob.
You quit, you quit. If some half-arsed douchebag thinks you somehow didn’t quit “on your own,” are the views of such a twat even really worth considering at all? I say no. You quit, you quit. By whatever means necessary.[/quote]

OK, and when I count to three and snap my fingers, you’ll be wearing trousers! AND underwear with NO stains!
One, two…

WTF? It wasn’t the least bit sanctimonious. igorveni made the claim that trying to quit smoking through hypnosis is a vile idea. I was simply pointing out the immense absurdity of his comment by showing WHAT such hypnosis would be trying to prevent. Which is more offensive: having some guy swing a watch back and forth in front of your face and tell you ciggies are bad, or dying of lung cancer? Besides, if any smokers found the picture offensive, good: as described in the article, the subject of the photo and his mom wanted the picture to be shared with others and wanted people to have that response. I was just complying with a dying man’s last request. But that’s OT, again.

So, let’s please stick with the subject of hypnotherapy. :slight_smile: