Discussion on privilege etc

In rap, hip hop industry is better to be black. But eminem has skills

3 Likes

Well policy is complex but in a general sense I think companies should reflect the communities that they support but qualifications should supercede any other determination. I’m for equal opportunity and where there is a lack of equal opportunity then policies should be in place to remove those barriers.

That is completely irrelevant to the STRUCTURAL privilege white people enjoy. Especially white people from first world countries.

The fact that underprivileged white people existed/exist is completely immaterial to the reality that white people ARE more privileged.

The fact that people who aren’t Irish nor Scottish would be far likelier to be able to differentiate Irish and Scottish is exactly why white people are more privileged.

White privilege is not neceesary about material wealth. It’s the cultural supremacy enjoyed by countries that are predominantly white because these countries had (and still have) disproportionate influence relative to their population size. Did any of you know much or even anything about Taiwan before you came here? I am gonna take a wild guess and say no. And Taiwan is already a privileged country relative to the vast majority of the world in terms of material wealth and public well-being. It gets worse as you go down the scale … like calling everywhere on a continent “Africa”.

Have you ever given any thought about the fact that aborigines in America, Canada, and Australia are forced to celebrate independence day/Canada day/Australia day (or whatever it’s called) and the fact that when you open a book about American history, 90% of the time it’d be the history of white Americans? Or how we Asians all have to learn the Renaissance and the French Revolution in detail and are considered ignorant if we don’t know the difference between places or cultures that are thoroughly irrelevant to us like Scotland and England? If Harry Potter had been a black kid written by a black woman from Nigeria, do you think the series would’ve been as popular as it has been? The last point has seen some advances in recent years with Hollywood starting to cast minorities in persumably white roles (not without backlashes from the anti-woke crowd, obviously), and Korean media is indeed quite popular in the west, but fundamentally, things have not changed much.

I am not saying that I am against western culture or anything because I obviously am not, and I absolutely agree that most of Asia and Africa are extremely backwards. But it is still really dumb to deny that white privilege exists just because you know some poor white people. :roll:

2 Likes

The pendulum is swinging East.

First of all, that is GDP adjusted for purchasing parity. Real GDP the US is still far ahead.

It is also completely irrelevant to the cultural supremacy enjoyed by white people. Greece has been poor as fuck for more than a decade, people everywhere are still far likelier to know some random Greek mythology stories than random Japanese ones, including Japanese people.

GDP comparisons using PPP are arguably more useful than those using nominal GDP when assessing the domestic market of a state because PPP takes into account the relative cost of local goods, services and inflation rates of the country, rather than using international market exchange rates, which may distort the real differences in per capita income.

In any case the trend is that Asian countries are catching up while Western countries are in debt and in decline.

For some Western countries I see no reason to be optimistic in the foreseeable future.

Cultural supremacy will follow financial and technological supremacy. If it doesn’t, who cares? I’d prefer a large bank account and an anti-grav car any day to people swooning over how cultured I am.

Some Asian countries are catching up, some Western countries are in decline. There are also many Asian countries that are in decline or never had any chance, and Western countries that are booming.

I never said they had.

Well, this discussion is about race, which is a cultural construction.

Which?

Never said you said that. I raised it because with reluctance I sold my house in a Western country, am leaving my job and family behind, and am heading East, while shaking my head at my government and its ill-advised policies.

I basically see no reason to be optimistic about my country’s prospects - growing debt, budget deficit, out of control inflation, printing money, ageing population, etc. I’m just getting out and seeking greener pastures before the economy implodes.

With the shrinking economy us scientists feel the budgetary pinch. I want to be left alone to do my research, and not have to worry about turning the lights off because the bean counters can’t balance the books.

Good thing I didn’t do that.

Someone was busy making straw men last night

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, but I’d suggest you sleep instead.

Maybe this is accurate for you, @Malasang88, but such blanket negative statements about this entire community, in addition to being ignorant and obviously false, are not consistent with community guidelines.

3 Likes

Which one is that?

I think I am.

This discussion is stupid since the moment you realise that the loaded word privilege is forced into it, and you don’t need to use it.

2 Likes

You seem to have a hard time directing arguments to the right people. Are you saying I’m making a strawman argument, or Gain? If Gain, then why are you adding me here? Sounds like a personal attack and against the rules of the site.

Finally, something I can agree on

2 Likes

According to their logic, if your father worked hard and you inherited some money, but my father drank it all up and I inherited shit, you are privileged! yes, it’s only a stupid example.

1 Like

I don’t get caught up on the word privilege. Do white people generally have an advantage over black people? In many situations if not most, they do have an advantage. Is that a privilege? I don’t know. What else would you call it?

And just because white people have cultural or historic/systemic advantages does that mean they will always be richer than black people? Obviously not.

Not being able to understand any nuance is ignorant. Doesn’t matter where that’s coming from.

Who’s their?