Dislike button

Alright let’s have a Brexit type referendum. I’ll respect your decision but know that if you decide Neigh you is all a bunch of knobheads.

• Yay!
  • Neigh!

0 voters

Not understanding. In the first post you seemed to say that you wanted a new unlike button in order to change behavior. Now you’re saying (I think) that actually it has no meaning at all.

Which is it?

Tbh I don’t really think it’d change behavior much. Although if your posts consistently got a lot of dislikes you’d probably know something was wrong with your tone (or right depending on what you’re aiming for I guess).

Which is why a few words of explanation would be neighborly imo.

Otherwise, as I understand it, a button is like a sudden whack on the head. I guess you could see who it came from, but you might have no idea why you’re being whacked. Could end up creating considerable frustration in the person being unliked.

1 Like

who couldn’t get any vote might be more frustrated.

What is unlike? You liked it and you want to unlike it! The correct button would be ‘dislike’!

1 Like

unlike2

/ˈʌnlʌɪk/

verb

verb: unlike ; 3rd person present: unlikes ; past tense: unliked ; past participle: unliked ; gerund or present participle: unliking ; verb: un-like ; 3rd person present: un-likes ; past tense: un-liked ; past participle: un-liked ; gerund or present participle: un-liking

be regarded with distaste or hostility; be unpopular.

“the article suggests that his character was unliked by many”

(in the context of social media) withdraw one’s approval of or support for (someone or something one has previously liked) by means of an icon or link.

“I cut about 300 of my 400 friends and unliked about 20–30 pages”

I was right!

On the other hand dislike:

dislike

/dɪsˈlʌɪk/

verb

feel distaste for or hostility towards.

“she disliked any kind of unnecessary rudeness”

synonyms: hate, detest, loathe, abominate, abhor, despise, scorn, shun, execrate; More

noun

a feeling of distaste or hostility.

“he made no secret of his dislike of the police”

synonyms: aversion, distaste, disfavour, disapproval, disapprobation, disesteem, enmity, animosity, hostility, animus, antipathy, antagonism; More

OK, you win. I’ll change the title.

Currently 2-0 in favor. Don’t forget to vote folks. (If you can find the poll).

Just make a button that says ‘crap’!

Or maybe a button that says “I respect your opinion and respect your right to express that opinion but I’m going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on this one”

Disagree and dislike are different.

1 Like

:wall:

That’s called a ‘flag’ button.

I’ve yet to flag a post, so I’m not aware of the virtual social cues of flagging.

You flag a post because you want a mod to take action on it. This has nothing to do with that.

flag is for posts to be modded.

I don’t.

Dislike button seems just a pissy way to be passive-aggressive towards someone. Why do we need that shit? If you dislike the post, either ignore it or confront them directly. This isn’t high school.

5 Likes

I never said it was high school. It’s not passive-aggressive to dislike a post anymore than it is to like the post. Do you think we shouldn’t like posts and instead we should leave comments like “I really like what you’ve said here, you’ve captured the zeitgeist of the age plus you’ve written your comment in perfect English. Well done!”

1 Like