Disney's Mulan

Watch it with the cartoon version in mind. For starters. I mean, even The Jungle Book or The Lion King were slightly attached to their predecessor, and Aladdin updated the songs and kept the cute animals, most of them.

1 Like

It’s more than a movie. For one, the father is basically CGI Xi. The most important one imo is all of the main actors came strongly (way more strongly than can be excused with “they had to or else…”) against HK protests.

I haven’t seen it, you have. I would prefer not to watch it if at all possible.

The lead actress did. What information do you have on the others?

I didn’t know Winnie the Pooh made a cameo

Mate google it. its basic stuff. If you haven’t noticed how chinas soft power is already corrupting our freedoms (movie censorship, video games and free speech) then i honestly do not know why you felt the need to chime in.

2 Likes

I am sick to death to that “we are Chinese” deal. Racially speaking, ain’t true for most Taiwanese who have Aboriginal blood or SEA or Western, whatever. It is an obsolete concept, tribalism. But most importantly, it is used to tell all Chinese must obey whatever the dictatorship from the CCP tells them, otherwise “they are not Chinese”.

It is like being Latino and being told you have to follow what Spain says. See how far that is going to get you.

2 Likes

Can’t say this was a movie that I was dying to watch to begin with. But the whole HK thing put me off of even watching when I’m bored.

Thanks. I totally wasn’t aware until just now.

3 Likes

It’s so weird. The actor is a guy called Tzi Ma but for some reason they did some CGI on his face and he looks like Xi’s double.

2 Likes

A movie which requires geopolitical awareness.

I think @BHL4life put it best, when he said it’s another example of China’s “soft power.” When they are using their power to bribe a craven Hollywood into self-censoring tentpole American films, that’s an issue. As the article I posted stated above: “The most significant effect of this censorship and self-censorship is completely invisible, because it involves the movies that are never made,” said Tager. “What major Hollywood studio would make a movie about what is happening in Xinjiang, with the internment of over a million Muslims?”

The fact there can never be an honest movie about where Covid-19 originated, or how China has completely destroyed Hong Kong, is reason enough to make a fuss about this issue:

“Movies also have an almost unmatched ability to instill widespread public sympathy for vulnerable groups and to prolong remembrance of crimes against humanity, such as the Rwandan genocide, depicted in “Hotel Rwanda.” But the last time a major Hollywood studio made a movie that presented a vulnerable group as the victim of Chinese government aggression was in 1997 with “Seven Years in Tibet” starring Brad Pitt. The Chinese government responded by slapping a five-year ban on Columbia TriStar, the production company that made the film — a response that cast a chill over the U.S. movie industry.”

5 Likes

I think the actors in the film like Brad Pitt are all banned to enter China.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so egregious if Hollywood hasn’t painted themselves as morally superior with constant lectures on social justice. But it’s hard to not call out the hypocrisy when it comes to China.

1 Like

That witch looks hot :heart_eyes: (i have only seen the trailer)
I am looking for a witch like that to take out a.few of my enemies
:wink:

Fascinating

She looks like that bird who married Rupert Murdoch for his charm and good looks.

2 Likes

What the fuck?

There’s only been like 3 new releases over the past months, and it’s Disney. It would be a bigger surprise if it was lower.

I give China a lot of credit for being powerful enough now to be able to force companies to kowtow to them. Money talks over freedom, even in Hollywood. So much for all this talk about ethics.

1 Like

Economic power is not soft power. It’s hard power.

Whoever says money talks is wrong…money SHOUTS