Disney's Mulan

I believe China is backing a lot of movies these days financially

1 Like

Number 2 in Taiwan box office. I guess being dubbed in Chinese helps.

1 Like

I read this thread too late. My daughter is watching it now.

Sorry.

1 Like

This film is dedicated to the brave tank drivers of tianamen square-Mulan

4 Likes

My wife and daughter both liked it.

@badiucao

8 Likes

Watched Mulan in the theater yesterday with free movie tickets :grinning: Didn’t know any of the politics and didn’t watch the animated version, although I’m doing that tonight to compare.

My review of the live action version:

• Poor storytelling, lots of plots holes, lame plot twist near the end
  • Lack of character development, emotions, meaning, depth, Disney magic
  • No long shots in (uninspired) fight sequences, lots of quick cuts, lame slow motion. Complete waste of Donnie Yen
  • Plenty of bad CGI
  • Terrible acting, what a waste of great actors. Movie should also have been in Mandarin, it being in English felt completely unnatural

According to my best friend, the best part of the original Mulan was a character named Mushu and that not having Mushu as part of Mulan is like leaving out the genie in Aladdin. So they took out Mushu and the songs, and didn’t do anything extra to make up for it. So it ended up being a mediocre Hollywood action movie. It would have been a lot better if they made it more fun and added action and fight sequences like that of Crouching Tiger.

Initially I thought the idea to charge $30 for Mulan was a good one because Disney Plus has tens of millions of subscribers and they’re mostly parents and families that sort of “have to” buy it. But man, it’s $30 for a steaming pile of garbage.

4 Likes

That is an absolute disgrace and quite pisses me off.

7 Likes

Taiwanese people love anything new. Give it a few days and they’ll move onto something else.

1 Like

Well, Tenet is in English and more difficult to understand and I am sure media is playing the Chinese as heroes angle.

What pisses me off is that China has several Mulan movies, latest more “historical”, though I am still waiting for the one that reveals that she did had a brother who was an academic and hence not up for a fight.

What I mean to say is that instead of fun and positive, kiddie stuff, we got the same nationalist, over the top, amateur hour supplemented by throwing lots of money, like any other CCP approved movie. 7 swords this ain’t.

Why are the political implications completely lost on the taiwanese though? I mean its not even like this is a good movie which is worth overlooking the shite that the lead actor said.

Maybe i’m expecting too much to hope people use their brains a just a little bit when people are openly taking a dump on your rights and freedoms whilst also expecting you to give them money.

1 Like

Are you referring to the Qing dynasty novel 北魏奇史閨孝烈傳? (title translates to: The Fierce and Filial Girl from Northern Wei) After Mulan goes to war, Qingyun (who is an accomplished scholar) delivers a long speech about how he spends all day studying the Confucian classics, but is ashamed that he didn’t even think of performing such a virtuous act. (I think he quotes Confucius to say something like “There are those who go all day only talking about virtue. Theirs indeed is a difficult case.”)

But Qingyun in Mulan’s fiancé in that version. In most adaptations her brother is very young.

Unless… are you referring to a different version?

EDIT: Wait… were you referring to a version from imperial China… or were you just saying that would make a good plot for a future movie?

There are two kinds of Taiwanese… those that are geopolitically aware and care about what happens in the outside world, and those that are inward looking and willfully ignorant of everything except what’s happening in their own small lives… guess which group is going to see this dumb shit movie?

3 Likes

It’s just a movie.

2 Likes

Soft power is real.

1 Like

Did it actually sell much though? Being no.2 in Corona times may not mean much.

1 Like

I’m going to have to watch the bloody thing now to understand what the issue is

I dunno, I was always told this by the Overseas compatriots, both in the old country and here, so it could be one of those things. That she covered for her brother, an academic, too valuable to risk his life in battle.

It’s an historical fiction about China. Taiwan is derived from China; most of the people are of Chinese descent. What are the political implications?

1 Like

The next day

“Taiwan is part of China! Praise emperor Xi!”- BiggisDickus

1 Like