Divorce - Being accused of a sham marriage

Hi All,

Me and my husband are separating after a few months over 2 years of marriage. He is Taiwanese and I am Australian on a marriage ARC.

We have had issues for a while and he has decided to move out of our apartment. Everything was civil when we spoke to each other and he has reluctantly agreed to hold off signing divorce papers until after my naturalisation is approved.
I did give him the option if repaying me the $18,000AUD I spent on his Australian visa application and signing the divorce papers immediately, he didn’t agree.

We don’t meet any requirements for a contested divorce.

The problem is I overheard him talking on the phone to his friend about trying to frame me for cheating or telling immigration that our entire marriage is a sham.
Our marriage wasn’t a sham and we are separating due to incompatibility issues mostly. I haven’t cheated either.

I am concerned about what the definition of a ‘sham marriage’ is in Taiwan. We didn’t get married as a sham and getting a non-mutual divorce isn’t possible in our situation. So he has no leg to stand on, right?

Am I correct in assuming he has no grounds to prove a sham marriage?

Is ‘separated’ a legal status in Taiwan?
(It is in Australia and 1 year of separation is a requirement to have the court order a divorce in Australia)

I sincerely hope he doesn’t go down this path. And if he did, I’d rather just go back to Australia anyway.

Am I worried about nothing?

I do think he couldn’t be bothered with the drama that would ensue and once he’s calmed down he will be fine but I do want to be prepared.

3 Likes

Until what?

Until she finishes the post?

2 Likes

Accidentally hit the post button before I’d finished writing haha

I’m a he :joy:

6 Likes

Damn, I assumed your gender. Sorry. :flushed:

2 Likes

Hahaha I’m not worried about that but would be awkward if 15 posts later I’m still a woman :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

His ‘toddler like behaviour’ is a big reason why things haven’t worked out.
Weirdly he admitted he’s also unhappy in our relationship but he’d rather stay married and unhappy. I don’t agree and hence he’s decided to move out.

So from now until I naturalise he would not be able to accuse me of a sham marriage, right?

2 Likes

I would be calling a lawyer if he is about to accuse you of something like this.

2 Likes

My boss told the cops I worked illegally for him. The tenacity knows no bounds.

11 Likes

This is a good point but he probably doesn’t realise this.

I don’t think he will follow through. I hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If he did go down that path I’d either speak to a lawyer or just go back to oz.

Holy sh*t that’s nuts!

Ensure your name is clear before taking off. You are also free to get a work ARC too as well.

Do you want my lawyer?

…Yep.

Fortunately the cops told him off.

If he’s moved out and you’re only staying married for immigration purposes, haven’t you just admitted to being currently in a sham marriage?

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I could get a work ARC but my APRC/naturalisation clock might be reset (there’s various opinions regarding this)
also I’d have to get my diploma and transcripts certified by TECO because they are from pricate education companies not top 500 universities. It’s also not definite because I don’t have a completed bachelor degree, I have a diploma AQF5 and part of a bachelor degree (from a school which has now closed down) and TEFL.
My boss is confident he could apply for a work permit for me but I’m more skeptical.

It would just be very mafan if to change my visa type for the sake of a few months

This is true, but I’ve done a reset myself. It’s not THAT big of a deal.

Up to you if you wanna try.

What do you mean?

2 Likes

This would be very helpful! Thanks :slight_smile:

Here you go! This is my lawyer and he speaks English.

I asked him. He said yes he does Family Law.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

No problem. I can understand wanting to wait until the APRC or nationality for the divorce, but you should talk to the lawyer first and see if you can work things out or come to an agreement or simply divorce and reset the time. You’re still Australian and you can have the nationality restored immediately after renouncing and attaining Taiwanese citizenship. It’ll just take longer.

Resetting your time doesn’t mean you can’t change jobs or live your life.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for your advice :slight_smile:

Resetting the clock by changing my visa or even going back to Australia to live is fine for me if it meant avoiding legal trouble.
I do prefer staying in Taiwan but at the end of the day Australia is a great place too

Just wondering if he starts this process how I can end it. I’ll likely contact your lawyer!

1 Like

You’re going to be fine. You went into this marriage in good faith. And to divorce means that both parties have to agree. So you may talk with the lawyer and possibly extract concessions or come to an agreement.

With your signature.

1 Like