Divorce petition

Hi friends I’m a foreigner and my wife is taiwanese I have 2 years old son. Today my wife told me she had file petition for divorce through lawyer and I will get paper in few days, I don’t want divorce do I need receive paper? And what should I do I need my son and I don’t want divorce
Waiting for your kind reply

Don’t sign it

4 Likes

Don’t sign anything. Demand at the very least joint custody.

And money.

And lawyer up. Lawyers give you the best answer.

Can receive petition paper or not received

sooner or later gotta receive

Yes. Way too many people do difficult things like this without getting an expert. Get a lawyer. Good luck.

1 Like

Also suggest not signing for any mail without knowing whats inside.

You can delay the divorce assuming you havent been an ass by not signing. It is your last power.

Also, negotiate with your wife to get an aprc first. If your arc is based on marriage and you sign then.you not only may lose your son but you also will get deported. This situation hurts, lots of us have gone through it. Make sure your legal status is secure. Then work on your legality of keeping your child. Then work on the wife. Then everything else can follow.

3 Likes

So what the best way I can do because I no even have money to hire a lawyer

Best way is: do not sign anything! Do not agree. Tell your wife that you need to have an APRC first, before you will think about divorce. And also, you must be sure that you will always be in your child’s life.

www.laf.org.tw

Also, if you’re in Taipei and speak Mandarin, you can ask for a brief consultation with a lawyer at City Hall, for free.

1 Like

I’m Taichung city and I can’t speak chinese I only can speak English

Don’t sign anything. If you do not agree, there is no divorce.

If your wife tells you that you can arrange custody or visits later, it is a lie. Once you sign, the deal is done. So do not sign anything until you have what you need.

Get legal consultation. There are free services for foreign spouses.

Get a support network of friends, coworkers. Strength in numbers. They can help translate and navigate. Do remember though each case is different.

Try to get your representative office on board, at least aware of the situation.

2 Likes

I’m in Taichung city, where I can get free legal consultation service

The Legal Aid foundation has a branch in Taichung

3 Likes

Ok thanks I will call them

if there is no ground for divorce.

lawyer at LAF will tell you what you should do.

Thanks I will contact LAF Monday

Yep but that is a high bar. Most foreign spouses just get tricked into it.

That reminds me: be aware you can be framed for infidelity, so avoid all contact with opposite sex members.

Wife can also allege you beat her so for Pete’s sake do not touch a hair.

That is why you need character witnesses, people you trust, who can be on your side. Problem is most foreign spouses are isolated.

1 Like

I don’t have any contact in Taiwan only my work people I have out chat conversation that show I’m good to her not cheat and hard to work