DIY bike build in Taiwan

You can buy 2K clear from most paint shop in Taiwan. Strongly recommend wearing a 3M mask when spraying it though… it gives you a bad cold otherwise and I can’t see this being good for you in the long term. It’s nothing like nitro.

Make sure you have holes in the bottom of those barends to run cables for the bar end adapter. You also dont need a EW-JC130. You should run one long wire 1200-1400mm from the ew-rs910 to the 4 way junction box as it follows the rear brake line cable from your right shifter. You run one 700mm - 1000mm cable from one shifter to the other internally through the bars. and then one 350mm cable from the right shifter to the ew-rs910. It will look much better and be cheaper than the ew-jc130.

Shimano is always updating their firmwares, they are not trying to make you go 12 speed, it looks like you have some things routed incorrectly in your setup on your photo.

Yes some are routed incorrectly in photo I was messing around different combos, all works whatever I do.

I did say the EW-JC130 came with the kit I bought, to do it your way may be neater but will mean buying another cable and doing away with expensive EW-JC130 , that would be more expensive for me.
I will follow your routing advice using the Y cable instead of extra cable I didn’t receive.

I not sure need to drill hole bottom of the bars for bar end, I should be able to route through cable route?

Thanks for advice I’ll be in touch when I do mess it up :thinking:

My ubike easy card doesn’t work now so waiting for ARC so I can setup, not doing job until I can use it.

Just adding YouTube video using simple diagram showing the EW-JC130 being used.
This is the route I shall be using.

I may have give up trying to get custom paint in aerosol can, custom mix no prob but need air compressor spray gun.
So I shall buy a standard pearlescent colour I like and can get.

No rush at the moment as I maybe leaving Taiwan permanently very soon! See how it goes.

Staying so bike rebuild continues.

I like a recommendation for bar tape also can I use HG901 Dura Ace 11 speed chain other than the Ultegra HH701

3 Likes

For bar tape, I personally am a fan of Fizik and Supacaz. I hear good things about Ciclovation and Guee too. It really comes down to personal preference and how much you’re willing to spend. I would recommend spending 800-1600 as that price range tends to last a bit longer.

Not familiar with HH701, maybe @ttwan can chime in?

1 Like

If you need to borrow a spray gun I have them.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Show us your bike(s) [as in bicycles]

Thanks for the offer.
I have bought some aerosol paint now online waiting for another primer tin.

Thanks for recommending.
I’ve Ordered some SuperCaz bar tape and Ultegra R8000 11 speed chain.

1 Like

Haven’t you just arrived again? :joy:

1 Like

Painted forks, waiting for primer to paint the frame.
Toyota - Ocean blue (pearl turquoise) looks green in photo more blue to the eye.

1 Like

Primed and ready for paint

2 Likes

I hope you are using 2K automotive paint though… because the stuff in a spray can will probably not last in the element.

very professional set up you have there!!

i know you’ve bought your tape, but i just thought id put this out there, seeing as it’s a thread that readers who like working on bikes will see …

I agree with @ranlee above that Fizik makes a good tape, but i have recently been using Kabuto from Japan and love it for feel and longevity. Also has some cool colours that make you never want to drop your chain again…

Anyway, keep up telling us the news: the bike looks good.

1 Like

I advice you to keep your dropouts and BB surfaces clean from paint.
The dropouts might give you some nasty cracks if you don’t, and the BB cups will appreciate a clean surface.
Also counts for all holes, specially the drilled ones.

I used 4x bolts/nuts and some washers (the size of the axle) for the dropouts, the usual small old bolts in the treaded holes, and some rolled paper for the rest.
It might save you work and frustration afterwards.

2 Likes

Coming along.

4 Likes

That blue looks spectacular.

1 Like

certainly unique!

i hope it’s got a deep metal fleck, perhaps in gold for those sunset rides along the riverside in the evening sun…

1 Like