Do good things just fall out of the sky?

OK, it hasn’t started raining naked beautiful women yet, but other than that I can’t help noticing that I seem to have the most astoundingly good ‘luck’ sometimes.

A while back, after taking a lot of time off for expensive fun and neglecting the serious business of earning money I was at a bit of a low ebb. I thought to myself “I need to find more work” and within a week (before I had made any serious effort) my phone rang and someone offered me just the job I needed.

More recently I decided I need to move to a new home. I looked half-heartedly on the usual websites, mentioned my goal to a few friends, and eventually set off one sunny afternoon to go and find the perfect place. As I was getting on my motorbike, the phone rang… and I signed a lease this morning.

This sort of thing happens all the time. I expect bad things happen too, but I tend not to pay them a lot of attention.

Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Or is your life all woe and misery?

If on the right path, luck happens often. I believe that.

Wasn’t it just last week you was pinin’ for Old Toe? And look…I’m back.

No rhyme. No reason. Just back.

So yes, good things do fall outta the sky.

If good things fell out of the sky, I’d probably end up in hospital with a head injuries.

Bad things also can fall out of the sky. There’s a right bugger moving out to my neck of the woods soon. Now what did I do to deserve that?

Remember the “Rule of 3.”

Things happen in groups of 3. Or so the “Rule of 3” says.

I was sitting under Kelvinbridge once and Buttercup fell out of the sky.

(re: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=679186#679186)

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I was sitting under Kelvinbridge once and Buttercup fell out of the sky.

(re: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=679186#679186)
[/quote]

Matthew, you must have been trolling.

Not sure what your question is, tmwc. Does Karma exist? Unproveable so who cares? If you go around,being a bastard all the time, then certain opportunities won’t be available to you, I guess. If you are good, talented, kind, certain professional and personal opportunities will come your way. That is controllable, to a certain extent.

If you think that good things happen for a reason, then logically, you have to accept that the bad things happen for a reason too, and that it would be stupid to think that the ‘bad reason’ is to teach you anything or to produce a ‘good’ outcome.

Do we ever ‘deserve’ what happens to us?

As you reap, so shall ye sow.

TMWC is someone comfortable with their level of madness. I ,as another madman, can appreciate that.

I think this is Optimist V Pessimist.

I really believe we all get handed opportunities (luck?) and some of us take them all as positive whilst others knock them and look for the catch.

Equally when it is time for lady luck to give us a bit of a shoeing there are those of us who get bitter and twisted and others who just get up and move on to the next opportunity. TWMC well done on the great attitude. DM, watch yourself there buddy.

I love it when Lou Reed sings; ‘You’re going to reap just what you sow…’.

That only works on a superficial level. Of course, cause and effect are there to a certain level. However, did X have his child kidnapped and murdered because he was a twat? Did Y ‘deserve’ to win the lottery for a reason?

It’s natural to think we deserve good things and don’t deserve bad things and it’s also normal to arrange complex systems of belief and behaviour around this. We usually call this ‘religion’.

Hey, didn’t you quit? Life’s so unfair I was sooo looking forward to beating your post count. I quit my job and everything. Damn, what am I going to do now? Bummer.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]I think this is Optimist V Pessimist.

I really believe we all get handed opportunities (luck?) and some of us take them all as positive whilst others knock them and look for the catch.

Equally when it is time for lady luck to give us a bit of a shoeing there are those of us who get bitter and twisted and others who just get up and move on to the next opportunity. TWMC well done on the great attitude. DM, watch yourself there buddy.[/quote]

This sounds too superficial. One needs to be true to oneself. Getting ‘bitter and twisted’ is a good outlet. I enjoy getting twisted on bitter with alarming regularity. Though it’s more often ‘twisted on stella’ or ‘twisted on doobies.’

One should accept the good and the bad equally.

According to new research, luck may be inherited. So those who lurch uncontrollably on a path riddled with disaster may simply be victims of their family’s unlucky genes… some individuals may have a genetic tendency to “create mayhem” around them. These unfortunates are therefore destined to plough through life unaware that they generate the calamities that surround them.

Just found that one while looking for something else.

This one also came up, but what I was actually looking for was this: The loser’s guide to getting lucky!

It’s not that I’m pessimistic, it’s just that I don’t seem to have much good luck and I have to work for everything I get. Things never get handed to me on a plate unlike with some people.

I seem to be a victim of sod’s law - a very recent example is that I never ever do the lottery, but a colleague asked me if I wanted to put some numbers down. I thought why not, so I gave her the numbers.

Of course, I didn’t win anything. However, the next time the lottery was on my numbers came up - the exact numbers in the exact order. I kid you not.

I could have won 8 million.

Although I don’t dwell on it, I am a realist and acknowledge that I will have to knuckle under for everything I get. I have to make opportunities happen rather than let them come along.
That’s how it’s always been and that’s how it will stay.

:loco:

It’s called the law of attraction

www.thesecret.tv

[quote=“tmwc”]OK, it hasn’t started raining naked beautiful women yet, but other than that I can’t help noticing that I seem to have the most astoundingly good ‘luck’ sometimes.

A while back, after taking a lot of time off for expensive fun and neglecting the serious business of earning money I was at a bit of a low ebb. I thought to myself “I need to find more work” and within a week (before I had made any serious effort) my phone rang and someone offered me just the job I needed.

More recently I decided I need to move to a new home. I looked half-heartedly on the usual websites, mentioned my goal to a few friends, and eventually set off one sunny afternoon to go and find the perfect place. As I was getting on my motorbike, the phone rang… and I signed a lease this morning.

This sort of thing happens all the time. I expect bad things happen too, but I tend not to pay them a lot of attention.

Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Or is your life all woe and misery?[/quote]

You probably believe that you deserve good things. Good for you.

Now, send some of that good vibe this way. I need a job in my dream field.(Film) :smiley:

With a grave-dig, yes things just fall out of the sky. [It’s better off with sound muted.]

1 Like