Do people still bow? (In business)

I’m talking about this subject with people in my international business class, and some people insist bowing in Asia is still a thing. Even my professor showed a picture of an American and Asian business man (Asian man extending a handshake, and American bowing) as an example of understanding culture when doing business. I tried to explain this sort of formality is not so common. I think the only people who might do it still is in Japan, maybe korea in some instances for someone important enough. But it’s actually pretty weird to do this these days.

Older generation do the bow-handshake combo thing.

Bowing is common in Korea though it’s not the kind that’s in books.

1 Like

Still very common in Japan.

1 Like

The best is when they compete as to who can bow the lowest. Saw it in Japan just last year…

It’s completely contextual. How formal is the situation, what’s it about, who is there, age, country. In the wrong context, you probably look like a fool. I have a feeling some people will start bowing to every Asian person they meet after this class.

Still quite common here, although more of a half bow.

2 Likes

If wai-ing is bowing, then yes, it’s still part of life in SEA.

while not in the business context, I’ll semi-bow (or deep head nod) if I mean to show sincere thanks from someone who’s helped me, even if non-Asian. Kind of like an extra “thanks for helping out”. It’s become a subconscious thing.

2 Likes

I even do it when I go home too. Someone pointed it out.

1 Like

I bow to my Miles Davis poster whenever I enter my home studio…

1 Like

My Korean son was taught to bow by his uncle when he was a toddler. In Taichung, I bought a coffee pot yesterday and the 60 something man bowed. I bought a fan and don’t remember if 20/30 somethings bowed. Bowing is v. Similar to giving a name card with 2 hands, to not bow shows ignorance or indifference or both

To teach the realities of these things, the teacher must be able to lose face and admit it is a class/age/position system and they are not equal if doing the bow thing. Only in japan is it normal it seems. a nd they are straight phuggered socially. In taiwan its weird, as in most places. It is conceding to another dominating force, which is really very basic psychology and sociology. In business the goal is to make yourself look capable and able to get shit done, not bend over and take it cause he’s old. The fact someone is teaching business kind of proves they failed at it…business skill makes millions, teaching doesnt. Unless your teacher is rich as all hell, more or less retired and truly has a passion for improving his or her country, take what they say with a truckload of salt.

This is why so often young people end up useless and working at teashops, they think universities teach real life skills and pay them for many years. In reality we have a bunch of entitled alcoholics getting gratification from their title (teachers). The real business people at universities are the ones selling students the bullshit dream. They make bank. Anyone who is into real business will skip the university business courses. Take a few courses related to human behaviour and maybe some litetacy courses to up their written game and call it a day. People who sit at a desk listening to an idiot for 4 years clearly dont have the mental clarity to realize things, figure stuff out and make a go with hard work and intelligence. Thats business reality. Sounds harsh, sorry. Business is real and very much a critical thinkers ballgame, not a university kids job entitlement. Those that cant read people, change their game instantaneously, work 7 days a week 20 hours a day reaearching their field etc etc probably wont cut it as business folk.

Probably regular people should take note about people selling them something and think deeply about how that person is out tontake their cash, not make their life easier. With those critical thinking abilities and some dilligence you are easily able to make money in taiwan.

1 Like

bowing is generally not a thing, unless a weird foreigner starts doing it.
The only occasions where I have seen people still bow is when a very wealthy dude, is dealing with a low level crowd, they may be bowing, because they don’t want to get their ass fired.

That being said, I do think some people do appreciate it when foreigners do the bowing thing. As it is some sign of respect. It can catch them by surprise.
Although I didn’t see many locals bowing to eachother.

They don’t really bow but they have a 1/4 bow , the head kinda dips a bit when thanking people. A full out bow would look funny.

This is the picture my professor used. I am happy to see my professor does not include Taiwan as part of China lol. I really hate this class, i have to repeat it because I have enough credits to graduate where I only need 19 credits to graduate, but the school wants money so we agreed I do more credits and repeat some classes.

72420856_14

In my experience, I have rarely seen bowing in Taiwan (other than basic nodding), but bowing is an everyday occurrence in Japan.

The times bowing, often while kneeling, seems common here are religious stuff, marriage, funerals and begging. Then the bowing, on your knees, becomes common place. Never business though

1 Like

bowing is one thing the best way to keep your bussines relations going is to:

a) have big orders
b) pay on time and correct.

They do anything to make money.