Do people stilll believe in love?

there was an interesting article on msn titled" has love ruined marriage?". the article talks about how marriage has, for thousands of years, NOT been for love. it’s been for societal, peace making, all other reasons. it’s been arranged in almost all cultures including western ones… until about a hundred or so years ago. people didn’t marry for love. love came later.
nowadays, people expect love so they’re dissapointed.
by the way, i’m not down on love. i believe in it. but i think there are people who are over-sanctifiying the issue. if people marry for love, then i can marry my best buddy. a marriage is just a partnership. but marriage invovles sex, therefore, since i’m not gay, i can’t. i must find a person whom i can have sex with.and for me that’s a woman all the way! therefore the whole point of marriage is sex. if not for sex then we (churchy people) don’t need to marry. we can all just love one another and be celebate roomates.marriage is just an acceptable way of having sex.
i disavow the over sanctification of this relationship. when people talk about soul mates… how many people actually get to marry their soulmate?we usually marry what we get stuck with. maybe we don’t take responsibilty to make the choices that would put us with our soulmate. but you keep dreaming, and there’s people around you. real people. not your dream girl. "better a bird in the hand than one that is far away."something like that out of proverbs. nature calls. yeah she ain’t perfect but it’s better than nothing and thin air.
marriage for love? sort of. more like necessity and tired of striving after the wind.

I not only believe in love, I love love. (Okay, that sounds lame, but I REALLY mean it.)

It’s so awesome. Nothing moves me more. I feel absolutely lucky to experience the different forms of love that I have, and still amazed at the endless possibilities.

Language says a lot about a culture’s values. Eskimos have 100 words for snow, yadda yadda. How many words do we have for “love”? “Love” is a vague word that covers a wide range of human experience and emotion, yet we only have one word for it. Compare and contrast how many terms we have for sex and very specific sexual acts and positions. It’s sad that our culture doesn’t seem to value “love” in our language very much.

[quote=“rantheman”]people didn’t marry for love. love came later…[/quote] my parents marry more than 30 years. but they got married after 3 days… just like that, love comes later… but after many years, we can’t accept this kind of marriage. then, there has a lot of people divorce…we all say" people break up as they know each other"… if people get to know each other, should they understand why each other, right? then, why do they break up? is it up to what you believe? if you believe in love, then, you will go through it.

I was looking at flickr for the first time and I realized there’s a special forumosan that I am just undeniably enamored of…Gustav!

What is love
Baby don’t hurt me
Don’t hurt me, no more
Baby don’t hurt me
Don’t hurt me, no more
What is love
Yeah

Great. Now I can’t get that song out of my mind. It will be there the whole day. That and the insipid SNL act that made it even more famous.

Yesterday I read that Japanese has approx. 15 different words for suicide…

Love is a woman invention. Men believe more in love than women. That’s why women are smarter than men.

Duh

Right back atcha, baby! :howyoudoin: :heart: :lovestruck:

Yesterday I read that Japanese has approx. 15 different words for suicide…[/quote]

Love has many connotations, how many songs are love songs?

George Michael has some great ones.

Yesterday I read that Japanese has approx. 15 different words for suicide…[/quote]

Love has many connotations, how many songs are love songs?

George Michael has some great ones.[/quote]

hmmm Japanese have some really interesting words, but yes I agree with Quentin. Its really sad how our culture now is really obsessed with sex. Heck, Im still afraid of searching online with the word “love” because of the images that comes up.