Do Taiwanese kids get annoyed when you touch their faces?

LOL, I didn’t know which category to place this in. :sweat_smile:
But in 2021 or 2022, I might go to Taiwan and be an assistant English teacher and help little Taiwanese boys and girls learn English.
Little Taiwanese kids/babies are sooo cute! :heart_eyes: (ALL babies/toddlers are cute though.)
Whenever I see babies/little kids, I just wanna touch their cute little chubby cheeks! But do little Taiwanese kids usually hate it when people touch their face? Do they like it? Do they not care? Or does it vary?

Do you like it? To have strangers touch your face?

Have you heard of the Covid pandemic?

What does your common sense tell you?

11 Likes

Well obviously if they don’t like it, I won’t do it.

That, too.

I would err on the side of caution. You do you and let us know how it goes in one to two years. :idunno:

2 Likes

Be careful, if you try to do it to grumpy in-full-face-touching-defense-mode foreigners’ babies, they may get upset.

4 Likes

Don’t touch other peoples faces.

10 Likes

Whether kids or parents care or not, it’s unprofessional. That kind of touching is, by your description, only for your own indulgence. Other acts of affection (physical: hugs, pats, etc.) should only ever be initiated by the child.

In MANY cases schools (from Kindergarten and up) will even tell both teachers and students to avoid any physical contact. The rules of the West circa 2000 (well-ingrained in teachers’ minds) are more commonly being adopted in Asia, in accordance with TW parents’ increasing paranoia.

3 Likes

I think it very much depends on who you are and how old the kids are. If they come over to hug you all the time, touch your hair and face, and show that they like you, it’s probably ok to slightly palm their cheeks once a while. That goes for the very young. I wouldn’t do that to teenagers.

3 Likes

You grew up here, right @Hapadoge? You have memories of unwanted “hunxue’er” attention?

3 Likes

I dont think any kids like this anywhere

4 Likes

I remember the cheek pinching when I was young. Really annoying.

2 Likes

Unless they deserve a good ol’ SLAP.

4 Likes

Of course I wouldn’t do that to teenagers. Only little kids. I’m not gonna do that to people my age lol (with exceptions tho)

1 Like

I grew up in America, not Taiwan

I grew up in America, not Taiwan. I’ve been living in the U.S. since I was 2. But as a baby, yes I did get alot of “hunxue’er” attention. I was a big, fat, light melanined baby. Obviously I don’t remember it but my dad told me about it. Apparently, I was okay with it back then. I was such a cute baby lol
It’s wierd how as I grew older, I looked less Asian lol

2 Likes

I wouldn’t pinch cheeks. Ouch.
I mean stroking their cute little chubby cheeks :blush:

1 Like

6 Likes

Going to see my little nephew today. Let’s pinch him in the cheek and see if he likes that. :yum:

3 Likes

Just curious, a lot of kids who grow up here longer remember it well.

1 Like

That’s an uncle’s prerogative.

1 Like

Ya if they’re really young they probably won’t mind but it’s a very weird boundary that you’d be crossing, so no I would definitely not do that.

2 Likes