Do Taiwanese Teachers make more $$$ in buxibans or public schools

Absolutely. But you spend a lot of time desk warming. However, you also get national holidays off with no reduction in pay. Most buxibans will either make you work on holidays or if you get them off, you don’t get paid, because they operate on a “you don’t work, you don’t get paid” system, aka, an hourly wage.

As someone mentioned already, the only way to get by in the public schools here is to coast by, or not really give a $h!#. If you actually try to do your job, you will burn out. They certainly don’t like uppity teachers who try to point out how the whole system is rotten to the core and how English language education here is a complete failure.

A couple of other benefits not mentioned in the package are the yearly bonus of one month’s salary for completing the contract and the paid flights every year. If you divide those together by 12, you get around another $10k NT per month.

1 Like

More like…you realize you’re wasting your energy by even showing up to work

I mean, it is…

1 Like

You can get this from buxibans but you need to twist their arm a bit.

Me and my neighbour are both on monthly salaries at buxibans. He gets a month off in August, paid. I get public holidays paid and annual leave as per the labor standards act.

It took him about 6 months to get this and me 2 years :sweat_smile:

Plus you can get weekends and evenings off at a buxiban. Just know your worth if you have any and demand it

1 Like

There area decent number of foreigners with schools. I.used to do that too. but people should understand as the owner you get ALL the family bullshit along with it, compared to a teacher which doesnt hear a fraction of the issues. It is an insanely depressing job, not so unlike being a social worker. But the possibility of very good money is there. Sky is the limit almost.

Be aware, do it legally to the T. few industries are as jealous and shady as education. you will be reported all the time by the competition unless your guan Xi is ultra good and not in a city. rutheless.

3 Likes

Not sure how that is possible, unless you are teaching kindy and first and second grade only. The rest of the kids have school until nearly 4pm, so by definition, if you teach kids from grade 3 and up, buxibans are evening jobs.

Can’t you apply the Pareto Distribution to such clients? That is, the ones who are the most obnoxious with their bullshit probably account for like 20% of your income but 80% of your work and frustration. Why not just cut those ones loose and keep the rest?

The Taipei moe still refuses to update us onto the new contract

So you should be aware that some regional Moe will simply refuse to comply and there’s no one who can help since unlike a buxiban job where you can complain to the ministry of labor, here you can only complain to the Moe who are the ones refusing to update the salary chart

Foreign teachers do work summers whole local teachers don’t. But you’re right the pay is much higher

Foreign public school teachers have to work summers? I thought summer vacation was the main reason for doing the job.

Desk warming and other things (summer camps, make work) are complaints I have seen about this on the flob

I don’t get summers off, either, but 3 day weekends and everything at the university slows way down

Yeah you have to work summers. Some schools have summer school, I ended doing quite a vit of work last summer even though the school was pretty empty.

In some ways it’s better than America. In America you get summer but you don’t get paid during that time (though they supposedly increase your salary during the 9 months you do work to make up for it).

But then again the average salary for a teacher in America with a masters degree is about 60,000 us which is twice the taiwanese salary

1 Like

So, you use your annual free flight home to just go back for a couple of weeks?

1 Like

Yeah exactly you get 14 days for the whole year for leave (not including weekends or public holidays). You can choose to use those at summer or winter

Technically you don’t really get a free flight either. It’s a loophole. You get a free flight to fulfill a contract and a free flight home after you finish. So basically you have to end your contact, go home, then resign to get the free flight

In the last meeting for foreign public school teachers this summer, they made it clear that the mission of the program is to train local teachers to teach bilingual in all subjects. So basically they’ve told us that we are viewed as temporary, to eventually be replaced by local teachers when the country has reached bilingual proficiency.

3 Likes

I understand more now why the MOE is struggling to attract foreign English teachers.

7 Likes

Isn’t it only for this school year though?

Work the whole summer? Back when I taught at public school, it was 2 weeks summer camp maximum, in July and desk warming in August.

That’s ridiculous… you don’t even train or work with local teachers much, they pretty much just try to put you in front of as many kids as possible at whatever school you’re working at. At least, that’s what my public school experience was like.