Do you have an invasion plan?

If only there was an EMP air defense system… :thinking:

1 Like

There have been developments not in China’s favour as a result of their actions, though. For example: India has historically been non-aligned but is leaning more towards the US, Japan is quietly rebuilding their navy, Vietnam and the US are moving closer together, many western countries are pivoting away from China economically in areas such FDI, manufacturing, and trade in tech. Western diplomats don’t make a big show of the tit-for-tatedness of what is happening, for diplomatic reasons, but the golden age of engagement with China certainly looks at an end to me.

2 Likes

All of this is true. The region (and world) certainly is more awake to the threat of an increasingly emboldened China. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that the world, and namely the US, will intervene against China in every scenario and at any cost.

When running through hypothetical scenarios, you have to take into account a variety of factors, including domestic. On that front, I’m not so sure that the US will have an appetite for a hot war with China over Taiwan if China decides to press the issue. That could be a very tough sell to the American public and I’m sure you will also have reticence and even outright opposition from some in the halls of power.

On one side are the powerful people who have made a lot of money in China and don’t have a problem with the idea of a multipolar world in which China and the US share the stage. On the other, I think you’d find opposition from anti-war types and those who question why the US should defend a country that many analysts believe has essentially been abrogating its self-defense capabilities on the belief that the US would fight a war for it.

The bottom line is that even though the US can still easily take China out if it takes the gloves off, it would be foolish for Taiwan to think that it has unconditional military support from the US and Western allies. Yet a lot of people here seem to be making that bet.

Can’t disagree there. At the same time, it would be foolish for the PLA to think that the US will not decide to get involved. So here we sit at strategic ambiguity

So why is it the assumption that the US needs a hot war with China to rein them in?

There are lots of things the US could do to hurt China besides a hot war that does not need the approval of the people. They could embargo China, freeze all Chinese asset in the US or their allies, disallow any Chinese companies from operating in the US or their allies, etc.

Any one of these will be devastating to China. The CCP’s power comes from the fact that their people became prosperous as a result of their government, so if people are losing jobs, houses, food, etc. they will very quickly turn on their government.

The “occupying outlying island” scenario was already explored in the Deutsch Welle documentary. That just gives the US time to move its fleet over and it becomes even less of a surprise.

Actions this drastic would be tantamount to all-out economic war, and all-out economic wars lead to hot wars.

The first part is true. The second part is not necessarily true. The CCP will not go quietly into the night. Serious domestic unrest is precisely the type of thing that is likely to cause CCP leadership to create an external “situation”.

If things start getting bad internally in China and you’re in Taiwan, this is when you should become even more alert and consider getting out ASAP.

A DW documentary explored a scenario. So what?

If China took the islands, is the US going to move into a defensive position and hold it indefinitely? The Chinese could take the islands with no intent of launching an assault on the main island.

You seem to be one of the people who is absolutely convinced that the US is going to defend Taiwan at any cost. This flawed thinking is one of the big reasons why Taiwan’s military is in the shape it’s in.

No, I’m not.

We speak of the USA defending Taiwan. What about help from Vietnam, India, and other possible allies.

I know Taiwan spends considerable effort trying to Forster positive relations with close allies.

Would we expect them to help defend. Or participate in evacuations.

Are you assuming that the US will just sit by, and do absolutely nothing (even economic sanctions or confiscation of assets) if China engages in a hot war with Taiwan? Economic sanctions will not get Americans against their government because it does not affect them.

India and China shares a land border so those border skirmishes are probably all that will happen. I doubt China will invade India either since getting all those tanks across mountains will be rather difficult.

Border skirmishes with Taiwan is going to be hard because it is separated by a highly monitored body of water. ADIZ incursions is about all they can do.

And a hot war with Taiwan by China will be an incursion according to America because it weakens America’s position in the Pacific. You think the US will just let that go?

I’m not making any assumptions. If I had to bet, I would bet that the US would take some action, but as an American living in Taiwan, I am under no illusion that if the shit hits the fan, American military supremacy will save my ass and lead to a result in which the place I’m living looks anything like it does now after the shit is removed from the fan.

China is likely thinking “outside of the box”.

None of China’s goals require a military invasion of Taiwan to take place.

Thus, I don’t think people need an invasion plan.

However…

China just built it’s first homegrown nuclear power plant just across the Taiwan Strait, and if that plant goes Chernobyl, everyone might have no choice but to leave Taiwan. There has already been a documented incident of an emergency shut down last month which is extremely concerning:

1 Like

Like every Friday night!?

Wrong ass. :wink:

1 Like

This topic has kind of drifted from my original questions, but now there are more people in this discussion, I’ll ask one of them again. What physical things would you or do you have prepared for emergencies such as a Chinese invasion?

China and the EU are about to sign a trade deal.

I have a supply of mountain house food , it has a 30 year shelf life. In the same bag I have water purification tablets and filters. Fire lighters, paracord and other stuff like that. Several pepper sprays. Batteries and lanterns. It’s not for a Chinese invasion but for natural disasters

2 Likes

China: here’s a nice little virus.
EU after 25 million cases and 400,000 deaths: thanks, here’s a trade deal!

And people still think Taiwan can count on a broad unified Western front to push back against Chinese aggression. :man_facepalming:

Where do you get that from?

What’s it like?

This stuff? https://mountainhouse.com/