Do you still go to movie theaters? Tell me about the last movie you watched in the movie theaters

I was in a movie theatre in Taiwan one time and I heard some loud noises when a big dog appeared on screen (movie was about a dog afterall) and i looked and a few seats away from me in the same row was a guy with his pet monkey sitting on his shoulders watching the movie. Now THAT is what Taiwan is all about. bring your monkey to the movies ! That and the time I saw a man with an Orangutan (yes Orangutan) riding on the back of his scooter. Taiwan- go ahead and be a MONKEY . Great slogan.

OH and about movies. We are having a mini renaissance here regarding movies. Our local theaters are redoing all the seats to these nice recliners. Upping the game. And having Movie Tuesdays (where the ticket price is 5.75 or 6.00 all day). Rather than the usual 8 dollar matinee or 12 to 14 dollar after 4pm.

Theres nothing like going to the movies. Ideally with the theater about 70pct full. 100pct full is a drag but an empty theater is not the same experience.

Wifey and I go on Movie Tuesdays of course . We have three theaters around that are real nice ones. And one of them serves food too. Not unreasonable really and pretty good. Limited menu but still awesome

If you are in Concord CA, go to VERANDA LUXE movie. Its part of a new complex with some nice restaurants , mini bellagio water fountain, etc.

The Chinese owned huge AMC movie chain now has a special. Pay 20 bucks a month subscription and you can see 8 movies a month ! Dang cheap. Too bad closest AMC theater to us is in Emeryville, Which is a great theater with 3 hours free parking and in a nice shopping complex. Big screens.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a new one. Iā€™ve heard all about the pet monkey at the bottom of the popcorn bucket, but attached to a shoulder? Creative! :wink:

LOL damn. never knew taiwan used to be such a monkey mecca. well it isnā€™t anymore although theres a fair amount of weird pets. lots of parrots. squirrels ect.

as for the food i thought it was totally fine to take outside food in? aslong as its not stinky tofu. i had fried chicken last timeā€¦ wasnā€™t the greatest though. it was the big chain, the chicken had bones, ainā€™t going there again. not fun to be spitting out bones in the cinema.

The girlfriend used to buy chicken feet whenever we went to the movies in Taiwan but she was super neat tho

We donā€™t mess the place

I like caramel popcorn and a soft drink and beef Jerkey

And yes we often get din gua Gua fried chicken

Miss that stuff
And Taiwan has the best beef jerky

https://giphy.com/gifs/PyTPkd05w4QH6

1 Like

Seriously I had a friend bring me some Hsin Tung Yang beef jerky or was it Guang ta shiang, forget. Awesome stuff.

Not sure its allowed to be brought in to the USA anymore. I donā€™t ask anyone to chance it now a days. Man i miss that stuff.

Yes, end game. If movies were affordable, Iā€™d see everything in the theater like my parents did in the late forties/ early fifties.
I like the group experience.
I even sat for the free showings for the gods at the temples when they used film and the subtitles were hard coded.

Drinking is a lot more expensive than going to the movies.

IT

And I will see IT 2 in the theater as well. Eh, I also saw FREE SOLO in the theater and it scared me more than IT did.

1 Like

I had a churro before the last movie I saw in Taiwan, which was only a few weeks back. They are part of standard combo meals in a lot of theaters.

Endgame. Iā€™d like to go see it again this weekend. Really looking forward to Godzilla at the end of this month.

1 Like

Not the last movie but probably the second or third most recent movie I saw was the latest Mavel Spiderman. A guy two seats down checked his phone, alternating between Line and Facebook, literally, every three minutes throughout the movie (I timed him in my head for a bit). Non-stop. Slow moments, fast moments, previews, credits. Didnā€™t matter.

It was initially annoying but then I found myself actually feeling sorry for the guy.

Call the staff to get him to stop.

Endgame, on opening day, 10am. Pretty full theater. The woman beside me (I guess dragged there by her boyfriend?) slept most of the way through, which was of course fine, but bewildering - thatā€™s not a quiet movie! Guy in front of me had a cellphone game playing, and kept it on the arm of his chair so he could do something to keep it live every minute or so, but at least he turned the brightness down after the first few minutes so it wasnā€™t as distracting as I initially feared.

I pretty much only go to theaters for the visual spectacles - the Marvels, the Pixars. Anything that is deeper or needs closer attention, no way. I enjoyed Roma at home with my own TV and my own bathroom and my own snacks. If Iā€™d seen a quiet film like that in a theater with people chatting and/or using their phones all around me? Iā€™d have hated the experience.

I feel a little sad when I read descriptions of amazing experiences in cinemas, with everyone silently looking in awe at the screen. Not what I experience here in Taiwan - but I suspect a lot of these people are writing about festival experiences, not ā€œnormalā€ cinema experiences.

Endgame. 'Nuff said!

Same.

I donā€™t really remember my last theater movie that wasnā€™t Marvel or Star Wars.

A few years ago I went to see The Force Awakens. Fairly empty theater and we had the whole row to ourselves. A guy comes and sits down right next to me. i guess this was a consequence of reserved seating. Normally I would get up and move but I was like, ā€œthis looks to be a quintessential Taiwan experienceā€. Guy proceeds to eat all kind of savory and sweet snacks he brought from outside and then when done starts digging deep into his nose.
And he stayed for the credits too.
It was awesome.

1 Like

Just saw THE HUSTLE. was amusing enough. Anne Hathaway is Cute with a capital C.

The avengers and all that **** is just **** to me but thats me, what do I know the thing is making Billions.

You sir are a mascochist of the first order.

OH and about the credits, I really like watching the credits and will stay if i went by myself. But my wife is like the first second the movie is over she bolts out of her seat and is ready to mow down anyone that is in her way out of the movie house.